StockMarketNigeria.com Forums

StockMarketNigeria.com Forums (http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums/)
-   Banking Stocks (http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums/banking-stocks/)
-   -   Wema bank (http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums/banking-stocks/1120-wema-bank.html)

Tunde 18th April 2007 02:10 PM

Wema Plc

Any news of WEMABANK of recent?

Have they really changed their managemnt or got rid of Government share holders?

They seem to have delayed issuing qurterly reports.

Stockbear 19th April 2007 04:14 PM

Wema Bank maintains growth in volume of transaction

Isn't this activity seen by Wema attributable to the recently off-loaded Government stake in it?

Quote:

BusinessDay
April 19th, 2007
Wema Bank maintains growth in volume of transaction

The transactions of Wema Bank lately have shown that the bank is poised at making the difference in terms of returns on shareholders’ investments.
MADUKA NWEKE

http://www.businessdayonline.com/?c=56&a=12769

richestowealth 19th April 2007 05:21 PM

Some aspect of the WEMA article above is false and misleading. WEMA was N6 on April 11, 2007. In fact, the year high is today's price of N6.45.

babatunde akinyemi 19th April 2007 06:58 PM

I doubt if WEMA will ever be able to rid itelf of the reputation of being a government bank. Enlighten investors will not quickly forget the sorrow the now defunct National bank, which is now part and parcel of WEMA, caused its shareholders.

The only good thing about WEMA for now is its management. It is better to wait and watch before touching that banks shares with even a long pole.

Tunde 20th April 2007 10:30 AM

Thank you for that correction. I am surprised that BusinessDay proof readers will allow that to slip through. May be it is prophecy of where the stock price is headed.

c kenneths 20th April 2007 01:57 PM

Yeah, Wema bank will continue to have clouds over its name but one can still short time on it and reap handsome returns. Who cares about the government and their bottlenecks.

bwalaman 20th April 2007 11:49 PM

Agree with you C Kens that it the recent WEMA activities represents opportunity for short-term gain...

Disagree with you on the government part- it is a necessary evil and provides the fiscal, monetary, taxation and investment policy framework, which the market strives in- needless to say, political stability or forecast affects the afore-mentioned.

On Wema, I have posited the following on

Thread- announcement

Quote:

I don’t like WEMA- check its 5 year…not impressive, I also think that there is strong State/Public interest in Wema ( I am sure I read it somewhere…) not good… see valuable input of Stockbear on this point (thread Trouble Ahead For Bank Shares From Q2?).
I think it is early days to dismiss Wema activities as a fluke as we don’t know who and how the alleged dumped shares were picked up or will be picked up…

On the Thread- Trouble Ahead For Bank Shares From Q2?- by Stockbear

I said give them…
Quote:

WEMA is dumping their "public shares"... this will be a good barometer for the question at hand...lets give it 2 weeks-2 months and evaluate?!
It is evident that I don’t believe in Wema, but I think it is early to read the riot act on Wema.

c kenneths 21st April 2007 04:50 PM

Bwalaman, government administrative problems will only have one effect on public companies, bringing it down. Thats why Soludo is forcing the western state govts. to divest from banks. Thats what I meant.

babatunde akinyemi 22nd April 2007 08:35 PM

is it likely that I can still get the bonus declared by GTB if I buy their stock say next week?. In other words, if I buy a company's share today how in the secondary market how soon will my name be reflected in the company's shareholders register to entile me to their dividen and bonus? My stockbroker was unable to give me a clear answer to this question.

Stockbear 22nd April 2007 10:53 PM

Close of register!

@ Babatunde - You are buying from the secondary market. The close of register is 2 May. All it takes is 4 days maximum before your name shows up on the their register. The trading day (the day the stock is purchased) is the first day and then add three working days. The last possible purchase date for you is 26 April! After this day forget it!

Gazo 23rd April 2007 04:48 PM

Investment advice

Good day All,

Am about to get some funds from my firm as a short term loan and would greatly appreciate your advice on which stock can provide the best earliest returns based on current market realities.

babatunde akinyemi 29th April 2007 08:39 PM

Thanks stockbear.

Thanks Stockbear for the concise answer. I guess I am late to the party as Bwala's mentor will say. I will recommend this site to my stock broker: It will be an education experience for him.

c kenneths 30th April 2007 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babatunde akinyemi (Post 1192)
Thanks Stockbear for the concise answer. I guess I am late to the party as Bwala's mentor will say. I will recommend this site to my stock broker: It will be an education experience for him.

Bwala 's mentor or C kenneths mentor

c kenneths 30th April 2007 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babatunde akinyemi (Post 1192)

Bwala 's mentor or C kenneths mentor ?

Lidris 10th May 2007 01:28 PM

Please can somebody confirm how much wema shares are, up-to-date fig will suffice.

alanbow 10th May 2007 01:56 PM

6.40 naira as at close of Trading today 10/05/2007

c kenneths 10th May 2007 02:21 PM

And 35,803,021 units exchanged, worth Naira 237,248,308.26 .

dotunk 11th May 2007 07:43 PM

WHAT IS THE HOOLABALOO ALL ABOUT WEMA BANK?

i dont think that bank has direction... to many uncertainties... i may be wrong.

paragon 12th May 2007 10:12 AM

there has been a restructuring in the bank. The main cause of stagnation was the mahority holdings by a group known as ODUA GROUP. They have however divested their holdings in the company, and fresh funds have been pumped in. It may not look like it now, but why are you an investor if you cannot analyse events and ride on them?

dotunk 12th May 2007 11:58 AM

thats true paragon,

Odua group divested in the bank. I thot they reduced their holding to 10%. But it also seems this group always seems to divest from everything. Even the Odua telecom they started some time ago seems to be in trouble.