Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Nigerian Stocks > Banking Stocks

Banking Stocks First Bank, Union Bank, GTB, Zenith Bank etc

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 9th February 2013, 02:45 PM
Points: 2,431, Level: 29 Points: 2,431, Level: 29 Points: 2,431, Level: 29
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Ozone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unity Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dowell View Post
I don't agree with U. Wema bank is being pump because of it anticipated fund raising. Unity bank is not pump. After this present rally of sentiment, the next rally by march will be base on audited results. Can Unity bank deliver? Presently the EPS for 3rd is 8K less than some insurance coy. I don't see Unity easily crossing N1. Then after audited result may gravitate down toward car pack. This is my own thinking may be wrong. Contra opinion are welcomed.
Unity Bank and Wema Bank closed .91k and N1:43k respectively yesterday. I believe that Unity Bank will cross the N1 mark by next week. Have you noticed the increasing volumes and deals being recorded by Unity Bank of late. I believe that some smart investors are accumulating the shares of the bank in anticipation of some good news.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February 2013, 03:07 PM
Points: 16,547, Level: 82 Points: 16,547, Level: 82 Points: 16,547, Level: 82
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
emmanuel ewumi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
Unity Bank and Wema Bank closed .91k and N1:43k respectively yesterday. I believe that Unity Bank will cross the N1 mark by next week. Have you noticed the increasing volumes and deals being recorded by Unity Bank of late. I believe that some smart investors are accumulating the shares of the bank in anticipation of some good news.

What are the reasons behind the accumulation? Are you sure they are not accumulating the stock based on speculation.

Last edited by emmanuel ewumi; 9th February 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February 2013, 03:26 PM
Points: 39,636, Level: 100 Points: 39,636, Level: 100 Points: 39,636, Level: 100
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Groans: 53
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2

Quote:

Even if there were smart investors currently in the market, which I doubt there are, they won't be buying unity bank.

I've been watching the discussions on this forum recently and at the same time relating it to the book which I'm currently reading and the similarities are scary.
Old 9th February 2013, 04:37 PM
Points: 3,122, Level: 34 Points: 3,122, Level: 34 Points: 3,122, Level: 34

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
dr dowell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What good news are U expecting in a stock that has EPS of 8k. P/e ratio of almost 12. No of shares of 37,000,000,000units. The best unity bank can make for annual audited result is 13k imagine what they may pay as dividend. Even if they give bonus they are already over bloated. The largest in the banking sector. I don't know why they are accumulating it but once their purpose is achieve the stock will go on offer and fingers will be burnt. My advice to any body holding it is sale once u make profit and leave the rising alone. Golden word for the day. Do not dabble with things U don't have enough information on.
Old 9th February 2013, 06:07 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 84,935, Level: 100 Points: 84,935, Level: 100 Points: 84,935, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice

Quote:
Bros, on what basis is this "belief" anchored? So because people are accumulating it means that they are smart and are anticipating good news? I hope you also realize that "smart" people were accumulating in anticipation if "good news" before the last market crash?
Old 9th February 2013, 06:53 PM
Points: 16,703, Level: 82 Points: 16,703, Level: 82 Points: 16,703, Level: 82
Activity: 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Groans: 1
wanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hispy99 View Post
Bros, on what basis is this "belief" anchored? So because people are accumulating it means that they are smart and are anticipating good news? I hope you also realize that "smart" people were accumulating in anticipation if "good news" before the last market crash?
That's the definition of gambling.

Anyway, comments like this should show that the end is not far away!
Old 9th February 2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Good news are generated and do not fall from sky. From the indices I initially gave U it does not look as if the good news will be generated. Any accumulation in unity bank is pure gambling left to chance and not investing. If I see a man with big stomach and I tell U am waiting for when the man will deliver how will describe me? Bros shine U eyes. Not all big stomachs are pregnancy
Old 10th February 2013, 03:51 AM
Points: 39,636, Level: 100 Points: 39,636, Level: 100 Points: 39,636, Level: 100

Groans: 53
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaj0 View Post

Exactly! And its gonna be televised
Old 10th February 2013, 03:59 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 84,935, Level: 100 Points: 84,935, Level: 100 Points: 84,935, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosa2 View Post
Exactly! And its gonna be televised
By NTA or STV?
Old 10th February 2013, 05:51 AM
Points: 6,958, Level: 55 Points: 6,958, Level: 55 Points: 6,958, Level: 55

Dr. Awo is on a distinguished road

Pls whats the present commission rate for both buy and sell orders on the NSE? I think it used to be 2.5% and 2.7% respectively.... Or has this changed?

thanks house...
Old 10th February 2013, 08:20 AM
Points: 3,532, Level: 37 Points: 3,532, Level: 37 Points: 3,532, Level: 37
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
goldsun2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Awo View Post
Pls whats the present commission rate for both buy and sell orders on the NSE? I think it used to be 2.5% and 2.7% respectively.... Or has this changed?

thanks house...
around 1.86 and 2.42 for buy and sales respectively. There is a slight variability in the 2nd decimal points among brokers but if your are like like Bra waan$$$, you can negotiate it lower
The Following User Says Thank You to goldsun2 For This Useful Post:
Dr. Awo (10th February 2013)
Old 10th February 2013, 12:05 PM
Points: 5,650, Level: 48 Points: 5,650, Level: 48 Points: 5,650, Level: 48
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

afolabi27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What good news are U expecting in a stock that has EPS of 8k. P/e ratio of almost 12. No of shares of 37,000,000,000units. The best unity bank can make for annual audited result is 13k imagine what they may pay as dividend. Even if they give bonus they are already over bloated. The largest in the banking sector. I don't know why they are accumulating it but once their purpose is achieve the stock will go on offer and fingers will be burnt. My advice to any body holding it is sale once u make profit and leave the rising alone. Golden word for the day. Do not dabble with things U don't have enough information on.
Quote:
Good news are generated and do not fall from sky. From the indices I initially gave U it does not look as if the good news will be generated. Any accumulation in unity bank is pure gambling left to chance and not investing. If I see a man with big stomach and I tell U am waiting for when the man will deliver how will describe me? Bros shine U eyes. Not all big stomachs are pregnancy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaj0 View Post

Quote:
By NTA or STV?
Make una hold fire joo! I am becoming reckless and I know it. Unity may not be favoured by fundamentals, but well supported by market sentiments and psychology.

If I follow mean reversion average, a bet on Unity bank may be better rewarding than over priced GTB..

6 months ago I was making a bold statement I will never buy Unity bank and Wema bank, but today! having hit my year 2013 profit targets, the stocks I now want are the very risky stocks with limited downside and significant upside potential.

I shamefully loaded Unity and its 4% of my portfolio. I am watching this market.

Forward PE is 7.45, P/B is 0.63 and ROE is "terrible" at 8.5%
Old 10th February 2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afolabi27 View Post
Make una hold fire joo! I am becoming reckless and I know it. Unity may not be favoured by fundamentals, but well supported by market sentiments and psychology.

If I follow mean reversion average, a bet on Unity bank may be better rewarding than over priced GTB..

6 months ago I was making a bold statement I will never buy Unity bank and Wema bank, but today! having hit my year 2013 profit targets, the stocks I now want are the very risky stocks with limited downside and significant upside potential.

I shamefully loaded Unity and its 4% of my portfolio. I am watching this market.

I like ur confidence. Enjoy the party while it last. Remember to off load before it turns to offer. Remember be afraid while they are greedy and greedy while they are afraid. Any how the good thing about it is that it constitute about 4% of ur portfolio so u can afford to include it as bad loan if the unexpected happens.
Old 10th February 2013, 01:58 PM
Points: 3,355, Level: 36 Points: 3,355, Level: 36 Points: 3,355, Level: 36

laso is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Yeah, d bull is on rampage. Unsustainable optimism! We ar getting there!!
Old 11th February 2013, 12:00 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 41,931, Level: 100 Points: 41,931, Level: 100 Points: 41,931, Level: 100
Activity: 49%
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Groans: 18
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I see three problems here.
  1. Representative bias
  2. Confirmation bias
  3. Overconfidence

I am sure you know what I am talking about.

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
Old 11th February 2013, 02:06 PM
Points: 7,367, Level: 57 Points: 7,367, Level: 57 Points: 7,367, Level: 57
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Groans: 3
netotse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to netotse

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
  1. Representative bias
  2. Confirmation bias
  3. Overconfidence

@Don Afolabi
I was in similar shoes (except for the 4% part, mine wasn't even up to 50,000 units ) but still I don commot my profit, leaving only my principal in the stock*, if e like make e dey rise, if e like make a fall I don benefit from unity bank at least.

*learnt that from someone here, cant remember who though.
Old 11th February 2013, 04:04 PM
Points: 5,650, Level: 48 Points: 5,650, Level: 48 Points: 5,650, Level: 48

afolabi27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
  1. Representative bias
  2. Confirmation bias
  3. Overconfidence

All the bias listed above are neither good nor bad, I am free of loss avoidance psychological bias.
Old 11th February 2013, 07:15 PM
Points: 5,061, Level: 45 Points: 5,061, Level: 45 Points: 5,061, Level: 45

jamace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't agree with U. Wema bank is being pump because of it anticipated fund raising. Unity bank is not pump. After this present rally of sentiment, the next rally by march will be base on audited results. Can Unity bank deliver? Presently the EPS for 3rd is 8K less than some insurance coy. I don't see Unity easily crossing N1. Then after audited result may gravitate down toward car pack. This is my own thinking may be wrong. Contra opinion are welcomed.
Note that UNITY BANK hit N1.00k today, against your expectation.

Don't be surprised that UNITY BANK will overtake WEMA bank soonest. Recall what some persons and I have said, that UNITY BANK and WEMA BANK stocks are political stocks.

Keep watching.
Old 11th February 2013, 07:43 PM
Points: 4,628, Level: 43 Points: 4,628, Level: 43 Points: 4,628, Level: 43
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
chudinho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamace View Post
Note that UNITY BANK hit N1.00k today, against your expectation.

Don't be surprised that UNITY BANK will overtake WEMA bank soonest. Recall what some persons and I have said, that UNITY BANK and WEMA BANK stocks are political stocks.

Keep watching.
Gambling no good ooo!

Old 14th February 2013, 11:05 AM
Points: 8,840, Level: 63 Points: 8,840, Level: 63 Points: 8,840, Level: 63
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Groans: 1
manemi is on a distinguished road

Looks like profit taking has started today on Unity and Wema.