Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Nigerian Stocks > Building, construction, engineering stocks

Building, construction, engineering stocks Julius Berger, Cement Companies, etc

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2007, 05:09 PM
Points: 2,757, Level: 32 Points: 2,757, Level: 32 Points: 2,757, Level: 32
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
yodiyokun is on a distinguished road
Default Ashaka Cement

Anyone with any news on ashaka cement? It seems the boat is rocking over there and the share price has taken a serious nose dive!

Anyone with information - I need to know when to take position if i will be doing so.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August 2007, 09:37 PM
Points: 2,902, Level: 33 Points: 2,902, Level: 33 Points: 2,902, Level: 33

easimoni is on a distinguished road
Default Ashaka Cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodiyokun View Post
Anyone with any news on ashaka cement? It seems the boat is rocking over there and the share price has taken a serious nose dive!

Anyone with information - I need to know when to take position if i will be doing so.
Turnover and profits are falling at Ashaka! Don't touch with a 10-ft pole
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:22 AM
Points: 7,996, Level: 60 Points: 7,996, Level: 60 Points: 7,996, Level: 60

Stockbear is on a distinguished road
Default Advice you can trust

If you can trust anyone's advice, you can trust Easimoni's.

For those not in the know, Easimoni is an established guru over at Nairaland. He has earned his guruship many times over (no bi say i talk am!).
Old 23rd August 2007, 01:29 AM
Points: 16,796, Level: 82 Points: 16,796, Level: 82 Points: 16,796, Level: 82

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
c kenneths has a spectacular aura aboutc kenneths has a spectacular aura about

All hail his royal guru-sty, Easimoni.
Your guruship has been confirmed and approved
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:56 AM
Points: 16,539, Level: 82 Points: 16,539, Level: 82 Points: 16,539, Level: 82
Activity: 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
wanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by easimoni View Post
Turnover and profits are falling at Ashaka! Don't touch with a 10-ft pole
I tend to differ!!!!

Ashaka is one of the best cement companies around!!! They had problems last year with LPFO supply. That was what led to teh closure of the textile mills in the North. Hence they've had production disruption. Now they are converting to use of coal and doing some works on their Kiln. Good thing about Ashaka is the HUGE cash reserve that they've built up over the years. Interest INCOME for 2006 was around N900m. So even if they don't produce cement, they will still make money. Also the reserve is able to cushion the current temporary drop in profit. They have money!!!

My concern is the lack of an expansion plan. The current improvements will increase production by about 20% but that is nothing in the face of current realities. Apart from that, Ashaka is a very strong company!!!!

If the price can just fall a bit then expect savvy investors to make a swoop on the shares! The current dip is temporary.
Old 23rd August 2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaj0 View Post
I tend to differ!!!!

Ashaka is one of the best cement companies around!!! They had problems last year with LPFO supply. That was what led to teh closure of the textile mills in the North. Hence they've had production disruption. Now they are converting to use of coal and doing some works on their Kiln. Good thing about Ashaka is the HUGE cash reserve that they've built up over the years. Interest INCOME for 2006 was around N900m. So even if they don't produce cement, they will still make money. Also the reserve is able to cushion the current temporary drop in profit. They have money!!!

My concern is the lack of an expansion plan. The current improvements will increase production by about 20% but that is nothing in the face of current realities. Apart from that, Ashaka is a very strong company!!!!

If the price can just fall a bit then expect savvy investors to make a swoop on the shares! The current dip is temporary.
Wanaj0,
chei - you dey everywhere !

anyway your point and easimoni's is well taken .. let us see how low it will go.
Old 23rd August 2007, 02:22 PM

wanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Wanaj0,
chei - you dey everywhere !

anyway your point and easimoni's is well taken .. let us see how low it will go.
My sister, you follow me reach here????

Ok OOO
Old 23rd August 2007, 03:12 PM
Points: 16,796, Level: 82 Points: 16,796, Level: 82 Points: 16,796, Level: 82

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
c kenneths has a spectacular aura aboutc kenneths has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, and am also watching the pendulum swinging the price from here to there, I will buy the stock if it gets low enough, and if it rises, ol boy I go run oo.

Una two points are taken, thanks.
Old 1st September 2007, 07:20 PM
Points: 1,756, Level: 24 Points: 1,756, Level: 24 Points: 1,756, Level: 24

Doyin is on a distinguished road
Default Ashaka Cement

The building sector is definetely not a short term market. The Ashakas, WAPCO's are not for short term, but will hopefully produce result in the long term (6 -9 months).
The new policy of flooding the market with imported cement in order to crash cement prices will help the economy (building prices will reduce) but will negatively impact on the cement companies as their market domination is weakened.
We will see how this policy plays out, and with the likes of dangote cement coming to the market next year, competition will definetely be tight, so a hold strategy may be best!
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyin View Post
The building sector is definetely not a short term market. The Ashakas, WAPCO's are not for short term, but will hopefully produce result in the long term (6 -9 months).
The new policy of flooding the market with imported cement in order to crash cement prices will help the economy (building prices will reduce) but will negatively impact on the cement companies as their market domination is weakened.
We will see how this policy plays out, and with the likes of dangote cement coming to the market next year, competition will definetely be tight, so a hold strategy may be best!
Ibeto has a license to import 1.5m tonnes. That is not up to 10% of teh market. How will they now crash the market? Don't fall for the propaganda!
Old 16th September 2007, 05:17 PM
Points: 1,457, Level: 21 Points: 1,457, Level: 21 Points: 1,457, Level: 21

bblqk69 is on a distinguished road

The policy to import cement will only take place if the cement operators dont find a way to reduce prices.
The Govt has not implemented yet!
Old 17th September 2007, 08:10 PM
Points: 1,983, Level: 26 Points: 1,983, Level: 26 Points: 1,983, Level: 26

atebe is on a distinguished road
Default Ashaka Cement

If you currently own Ashaka, cement, I suggest you hold and if you had bought high, then this is an opportunity to dilute your average purchase price. Ashska shareholders at the last AGM rejected the N1.50 dividend and 1 for 6 stock split proposed by the board. They also accused their major foreing investor, the French cement giant, Lafarge, of bad management and retrenching old hands of the compny that have in the past been responsible for the company's enviable perfomance that resulted in a 2 for 3 stock split and a handsome dividend payout for year end 2003.

This coupled with the bearish market and a combination of factors earlier expressed by Wanadjo, coupled with the govt's position on importation of cement must be playing on investors sentiments. The P/E ratio of Ashaka should be used to gaugue the stock just now as to decide if it is a good buy or not. The cement industry in Nigeria is a very good place to invest now and for the long term. I agree to a minimum of 6 - 9 months horizon for Ashaka!
Old 17th September 2007, 10:05 PM
Points: 3,861, Level: 39 Points: 3,861, Level: 39 Points: 3,861, Level: 39

RethinK2.0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by atebe View Post
If you currently own Ashaka, cement, I suggest you hold and if you had bought high, then this is an opportunity to dilute your average purchase price. Ashska shareholders at the last AGM rejected the N1.50 dividend and 1 for 6 stock split proposed by the board. They also accused their major foreing investor, the French cement giant, Lafarge, of bad management and retrenching old hands of the compny that have in the past been responsible for the company's enviable perfomance that resulted in a 2 for 3 stock split and a handsome dividend payout for year end 2003.

This coupled with the bearish market and a combination of factors earlier expressed by Wanadjo, coupled with the govt's position on importation of cement must be playing on investors sentiments. The P/E ratio of Ashaka should be used to gaugue the stock just now as to decide if it is a good buy or not. The cement industry in Nigeria is a very good place to invest now and for the long term. I agree to a minimum of 6 - 9 months horizon for Ashaka!
Are you sure they rejected the dividend or they just complained?
Their share price was adjusted for the bonus. check your facts.
Old 17th September 2007, 11:27 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 15,915, Level: 81 Points: 15,915, Level: 81 Points: 15,915, Level: 81
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
pumping will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to pumping
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by atebe View Post

I'm curious about this rejection. Is it because the company earned more but gave less?? Surely they can't pay more than earnings and in any case they have to retain some

Pumping.

Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is. You can't buy what is popular and do well.

-Warren Buffet-
Old 18th September 2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RethinK2.0 View Post
Cashed my own dividend already so maybe I am not part of those that rejected the dividend

Ashaka is facing problems because of energy supply. They could not get LPFO to fire their kilns.

However, I blame them for not having an expansion plan all this while that they were sitting on idle cash!!!!!!

Ashaka is for the medium term. They will turn out good once they can solve the current energy problem.
Old 18th September 2007, 07:29 PM
Points: 1,983, Level: 26 Points: 1,983, Level: 26 Points: 1,983, Level: 26

atebe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RethinK2.0 View Post
It is a fact that at the AGM, the shareholders in attendance were reported to have "rejected" the bonus and stock split. The point here is that sharehlders at the AGM also threatened to pass a vote of no confidence on the board...again this was reported. This probably has played on sentiments on possible investors. I did not state this as a singular issue responsible for the percieved lack of interest in Ashaka. In anycase, it could all have been hot air but these sort of talk have a way of creeping into investors sentiments. Ofcourse the prices was adjusted for the proposed dividend payout and stock split so...
Old 25th September 2007, 08:21 PM

Default Building materials sector

From my review of the market prices as of today, building materials sector have their prices low as 40% of the 52 week high.

I know some issued dividend and bonuses, but they have since nose dived after price adjustment.

Is this a good time to take position in these companies? I think so! (think been the operative word).

However, I will appreciate if any one has information about outstanding shares and recent results of BCC, CCNN, Wapco, etc.

Wanaj0, I know this is your area, so please bail a sister out.

Thanks
Old 26th September 2007, 12:26 AM
Points: 1,999, Level: 26 Points: 1,999, Level: 26 Points: 1,999, Level: 26

Yusuf is on a distinguished road
Default Outstanding Shares

Quote:
From my review of the market prices as of today, building materials sector have their prices low as 40% of the 52 week high.

I know some issued dividend and bonuses, but they have since nose dived after price adjustment.

Is this a good time to take position in these companies? I think so! (think been the operative word).

However, I will appreciate if any one has information about outstanding shares and recent results of BCC, CCNN, Wapco, etc.

Thanks
BCC has outstanding share of 2,784,375,000. I cannot remember that of CCNN while that of WAPCO is 3,001,600,004

I hope I help a little bit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ar_wapco_2006.pdf (51.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 26th September 2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Well you may be surprised, I hold no shares in any of those companies. Apart from WAPCo, the rest are over priced.

BCC has outstanding share of 2,784,375,000 while that of WAPCO is 3,001,600,004. CCNN has 1,068,213,421 units. This does not include the recent rights offer.

If you take position (especially in WAPCo), you must eb in for the long term.
Old 26th September 2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaj0 View Post
Well you may be surprised, I hold no shares in any of those companies. Apart from WAPCo, the rest are over priced.

BCC has outstanding share of 2,784,375,000 while that of WAPCO is 3,001,600,004. CCNN has 1,068,213,421 units. This does not include the recent rights offer.

If you take position (especially in WAPCo), you must eb in for the long term.
Wanaj0,

Please, can you explain why you think, these companies are over-priced at their current prices.

Thanks for the infor on outstanding shares