Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Nigerian Stocks > Food/Beverages & Tobacco stocks

Food/Beverages & Tobacco stocks 7UP, Cadbury, Flour Mills, Nestle, Nigeria Bottling Company (NBC), Union Dicon Salt etc

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 8th July 2010, 02:22 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 27,291, Level: 97 Points: 27,291, Level: 97 Points: 27,291, Level: 97
Activity: 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Oracle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: unilever

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
In my Conglomerates universe, I have PZ, AG Leventis, UACN and Unilever. The profit margins for PZ, which is in the same like of business with Unilever, is thin.. they make their monies by driving volumes and they target the really low end of the market and their success story is based on the fact that they own 50% market share and their profit margins are beginning to appear from Haier Thermocool.

An average student is still better than olodo and what evidence do you have to show that Unilever is an average student? I have given you figures to show that it is a good stock to hold for long term. Maybe you don't like the Conglomerate story, but guy, return on equity of 55% is no joke and only Nestle and BCC has a higher ROE in the whole market. That is because BCC is on a tax holiday - adjustment for taxes will drop the ROE to 52%. Unilever has the highest asset turnover on the NSE - they are the ones that most efficiently use their asset base and you call that average?? Guy, be careful oh!

I have not been too bullish on the stock because I don't like the PE, which is at 21.7x.

And oh, by the way, who told you that the ladies at the garage are not using the real Blueband margarine? The proliferation of the containers instead of the others, of which I know none and I dare you to name one, means some people have bought the margarine.
If i want to put my money on anything in the conglomerate, then it should be PZ cos they are into what is considered as a household item.unilever is just bathing,cooking and eating.

Why did u say in ur conglomerate universe u have PZ, AG Leventis, UACN and Unilever? what about the others?

How do u know they use blueband margarine?it means u know the taste cos u patronize them everyday. I know how they do all bad deals in nigeria. I have lived in Aba where they bottle wines(all the known names u can think of),refill omo,ariel and klin,make margarines and put in known containers,make perfumes and put in known bottles,make soaps and put in known packs. It is only those that have lived in Onitsha and Aba that will tell u how these things happen. If u eat margarine and think u are eating blueband, that is a big blunder on ur own part. U need to see these guys deceptive ingenuity. They make fake drugs and put in real packs and u take it without knowing let alone making margarine.Ordinary ororo!
Old 8th July 2010, 02:33 PM
Points: 40,075, Level: 100 Points: 40,075, Level: 100 Points: 40,075, Level: 100
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Groans: 53
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2

You guys have given excellent reasons why this is a good company and I agree 100% but as KOD pointed out with a p.e in the 20's this is currently not a great stock but should the p.e hit 10 . . .
Old 8th July 2010, 02:41 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by migiets View Post
'Agege Bread' is being used in context. By Agege bread, iam referring to bread that is being baked by the ordinary bakeries and sold by the ordinary people. I do not think such bread is being sold in the departmental stores. Iam sure you are living in the GRA or those estates owned by the oil companies. Btw, do you think those kidnappers or militants were buying bread from the departmental stores?. Such bread will not hold the stomach for the tedious tasks at hand. Just venture out to the rough areas of PH. You will see what iam saying.
U mean the ''bromate'' breads with sand and particles inside
I no dey live for GRA oo or oil company estates.

The bread in dept stores actually hold belly but they are not too expensive(N400).Though I don't expect an ordinary person to buy it now and buy it next time. But there are cheaper ones wey dey hold belle too(N200).
Old 8th July 2010, 02:47 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 42,313, Level: 100 Points: 42,313, Level: 100 Points: 42,313, Level: 100
Activity: 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Groans: 18
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
If i want to put my money on anything in the conglomerate, then it should be PZ cos they are into what is considered as a household item.unilever is just bathing,cooking and eating.

Why did u say in ur conglomerate universe u have PZ, AG Leventis, UACN and Unilever? what about the others?

How do u know they use blueband margarine?it means u know the taste cos u patronize them everyday. I know how they do all bad deals in nigeria. I have lived in Aba where they bottle wines(all the known names u can think of),refill omo,ariel and klin,make margarines and put in known containers,make perfumes and put in known bottles,make soaps and put in known packs. It is only those that have lived in Onitsha and Aba that will tell u how these things happen. If u eat margarine and think u are eating blueband, that is a big blunder on ur own part. U need to see these guys deceptive ingenuity. They make fake drugs and put in real packs and u take it without knowing let alone making margarine.Ordinary ororo!
I can only analyze companies that release results. There is no point comparing the PE of a company whose latest result was released in 2007 to the one that has released its results for Q1 2010.

I was in Ghana a few weeks ago and I went to several supermarkets there and I saw so many Unilever products and guess what, of all the items I checked, they were all produced in Agbara Industrial Estate. Are the Aba boys behind that too?

If Unilever is facing such stiff competition how come it is still one of the most profitable listed company on the NSE? Please answer the question.

Why do you prefer PZ to Unilever? Give good reasons, not the Aba boys theory, I want numbers, figures and facts...

And yes of course, I know the taste of blueband margarine because I can only afford Agege bread with my salary.

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th July 2010, 02:52 PM
Points: 40,075, Level: 100 Points: 40,075, Level: 100 Points: 40,075, Level: 100
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Groans: 53
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2

Quote:
I can only afford Agege bread with my salary.
thats a big lie. We know who be who
Old 8th July 2010, 03:10 PM
Points: 15,578, Level: 80 Points: 15,578, Level: 80 Points: 15,578, Level: 80
Activity: 79%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

migiets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
U mean the ''bromate'' breads with sand and particles inside
I no dey live for GRA oo or oil company estates.

The bread in dept stores actually hold belly but they are not too expensive(N400).Though I don't expect an ordinary person to buy it now and buy it next time. But there are cheaper ones wey dey hold belle too(N200).
See big boy dey talk and u say u no dey live for GRA or oil company estate. This N400 can take care of my lunch for 5 days at the rate of N80 per lunch (bread = 60, margarine = 10, pure water = 10). With this, belle go just full. The N400 bread will only be eaten once and it will not be sweet with margarine and pure water. You need jam and ragolis water for such N400 bread.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th July 2010, 03:34 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I can only analyze companies that release results. There is no point comparing the PE of a company whose latest result was released in 2007 to the one that has released its results for Q1 2010.

I was in Ghana a few weeks ago and I went to several supermarkets there and I saw so many Unilever products and guess what, of all the items I checked, they were all produced in Agbara Industrial Estate. Are the Aba boys behind that too?

If Unilever is facing such stiff competition how come it is still one of the most profitable listed company on the NSE? Please answer the question.

Why do you prefer PZ to Unilever? Give good reasons, not the Aba boys theory, I want numbers, figures and facts...

And yes of course, I know the taste of blueband margarine because I can only afford Agege bread with my salary.
Aba boys can operate effectively locally.But they can still flood their fakes into the neighbouring market.

Sorry I don't have figures,numbers and facts cos I have not done in-depth research on every company in the sector. Just know about SCOA and Ag leventis here in Ph and they are both dead companies.
Old 8th July 2010, 04:12 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 42,313, Level: 100 Points: 42,313, Level: 100 Points: 42,313, Level: 100

knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Aba boys can operate effectively locally.But they can still flood their fakes into the neighbouring market.

Sorry I don't have figures,numbers and facts cos I have not done in-depth research on every company in the sector. Just know about SCOA and Ag leventis here in Ph and they are both dead companies.
Well, then it will be a good idea for you to do a research first before saying Unilever is not a good buy for the long term... Qualitative analysis is just the beginning of the story; an astute investor will always listen to the numbers...

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
Old 8th July 2010, 05:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Well, then it will be a good idea for you to do a research first before saying Unilever is not a good buy for the long term... Qualitative analysis is just the beginning of the story; an astute investor will always listen to the numbers...

....without checking the correctness of the numbers
If gurus like pumping,hispy,nosa,waan5 et al keep referring people to first inland thread cos of what numbers/figures can do, then I think listening to numbers is crap.
Old 8th July 2010, 05:26 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
[/B]

....without checking the correctness of the numbers
If gurus like pumping,hispy,nosa,waan5 et al keep referring people to first inland thread cos of what numbers/figures can do, then I think listening to numbers is crap.
Hmm... hmm...

I guess Unilever will correct their results next week since all the ratios are crap. All the people you mentioned above have made money from the NSE by using the numbers. Just because one or two companies made errors does not mean everything is trash. I have seen you analyze several companies on SMN based on the strength of the numbers from the NSE.

Maybe you could just stop investing based on numbers and wait for only the annual report before making investment decisions since the numbers are crap.

Last edited by knightofdelta; 8th July 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 8th July 2010, 08:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Hmm... hmm...

I guess Unilever will correct their results next week since all the ratios are crap. All the people you mentioned above have made money from the NSE by using the numbers. Just because one or two companies made errors does not mean everything is trash. I have seen you analyze several companies on SMN based on the strength of the numbers from the NSE.

Maybe you could just stop investing based on numbers and wait for only the annual report before making investment decisions since the numbers are crap.
KOD,U dey quick dey vex oo.Me dey use numbers too.
I mentioned correctness of the numbers,maybe u didn't see it. It is not just listening to the numbers. it also involves one checking the correctness of the numbers. No be una say there could be typo in these numbers and it is not for us to just swallow it hook,line and sinker but we need to do extra work on our own to check it out.

if i tell u now that unilever has an ROE of 80%,i don't expect u to believe me by listening to me but go and then check the correctness of the number.

if listening is not crap, why is it that when someone says that the forward PE of this stock is this,then u go ahead and do ur own calculation and correct the person and other SMN members who must have gone investing with the values.so if an astute investor just listens, then they will go with the wrong figure people mistakenly give.

Even the annual report u say I will be waitng for has numbers too. so everyone needs number/figures but one need to check the correctness.

That's my point.
Old 9th July 2010, 08:45 AM
Forum Moderator

Oga KOD,
I saw in almost all report, a disclaimer at the last page which states:
(I shall quote excerpt from the page)

''No reliance should be place on the accuracy,fairness or completeness of the information contained in this report as it has not been verified by the research analyst(s) involved or the companies whose securities have been referred....''

''Any investment discussed may not be suitable for all investors and the reader(s) should independently determine their suitability and evaluate the investment risks associated with such investments''.

The word in bold means one needs to check the correctness of whatever that is written.
Old 9th July 2010, 08:58 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
KOD,U dey quick dey vex oo.Me dey use numbers too.
I mentioned correctness of the numbers,maybe u didn't see it. It is not just listening to the numbers. it also involves one checking the correctness of the numbers. No be una say there could be typo in these numbers and it is not for us to just swallow it hook,line and sinker but we need to do extra work on our own to check it out.

if i tell u now that unilever has an ROE of 80%,i don't expect u to believe me by listening to me but go and then check the correctness of the number.

if listening is not crap, why is it that when someone says that the forward PE of this stock is this,then u go ahead and do ur own calculation and correct the person and other SMN members who must have gone investing with the values.so if an astute investor just listens, then they will go with the wrong figure people mistakenly give.

Even the annual report u say I will be waitng for has numbers too. so everyone needs number/figures but one need to check the correctness.

That's my point.
I saw the correctness of the numbers you mentioned. But you don't expect me to to go NSE or all individual companies before arriving at an investment decision. I use whatever information I have with the belief that it is correct but a risk that errors were made. Even annual reports like you said may not always be correct e.g. certain banks depreciate their cars over 4 years and others over 5 years but we use the PAT as we see it on the NSE on a quarterly basis. The aim of analysis is not to get it 100% but to keep deviations from the correct figures to a minimum. If you note, I end some of my posts with 90% or 95% confidence because nothing is sure.

My beef is, next time you want to challenge a figure, come up with your own figure and how you arrived at it and then a discussion will follow with input from others so a consensus will be reached. But just coming out and saying the figures are incorrect without any kind of evidence to the contrary is a subtle way of undermining other forum members. A lot of people make investment decisions based on the posts here so prudence is the watchword.

Quote:
Oga KOD,
I saw in almost all report, a disclaimer at the last page which states:
(I shall quote excerpt from the page)

''No reliance should be place on the accuracy,fairness or completeness of the information contained in this report as it has not been verified by the research analyst(s) involved or the companies whose securities have been referred....''

''Any investment discussed may not be suitable for all investors and the reader(s) should independently determine their suitability and evaluate the investment risks associated with such investments''.

The word in bold means one needs to check the correctness of whatever that is written.
Bros... that last paragraph from a research report simply means not all investments are suitable for everybody. Some investments are riskier than others and you need to determine your risk appetite to know which one is suitable for you. Not everyone can invest in insurance companies because of the numerous risks involved, for example.

Old 9th July 2010, 09:46 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I saw the correctness of the numbers you mentioned. But you don't expect me to to go NSE or all individual companies before arriving at an investment decision. I use whatever information I have with the belief that it is correct but a risk that errors were made. Even annual reports like you said may not always be correct e.g. certain banks depreciate their cars over 4 years and others over 5 years but we use the PAT as we see it on the NSE on a quarterly basis. The aim of analysis is not to get it 100% but to keep deviations from the correct figures to a minimum. If you note, I end some of my posts with 90% or 95% confidence because nothing is sure.

My beef is, next time you want to challenge a figure, come up with your own figure and how you arrived at it and then a discussion will follow with input from others so a consensus will be reached. But just coming out and saying the figures are incorrect without any kind of evidence to the contrary is a subtle way of undermining other forum members. A lot of people make investment decisions based on the posts here so prudence is the watchword.

Bros... that last paragraph from a research report simply means not all investments are suitable for everybody. Some investments are riskier than others and you need to determine your risk appetite to know which one is suitable for you. Not everyone can invest in insurance companies because of the numerous risks involved, for example.
You gave an ROE of 55%,PE of 21.7%,Revenue growth of 20%, asset turnover of 1.89x and net profit margin of 9% but
KOD, i can't recall saying that each of the figures u gave was incorrect.except if u meant the crap part. I know I didn't dispute the numbers. All I just said was listening to it was crap without checking it out.

Na dat one dey vex u this morning.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:54 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
You gave an ROE of 55%,PE of 21.7%,Revenue growth of 20%, asset turnover of 1.89x and net profit margin of 9% but
KOD, i can't recall saying that each of the figures u gave was incorrect.except if u meant the crap part. I know I didn't dispute the numbers. All I just said was listening to it was crap without checking it out.

Na dat one dey vex u this morning.
Let it go. Let's move on. I still believe Unilever is a long term stock and there's nothing wrong if you disagree.

Old 9th July 2010, 10:26 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Let it go. Let's move on. I still believe Unilever is a long term stock and there's nothing wrong if you disagree.
Oga mi, i believe it is a good stock too. For long term it is very good cos people will always use consumables(soap,toothpaste,ingridients etc).

Ore mi, ma binu.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:07 AM
Points: 15,578, Level: 80 Points: 15,578, Level: 80 Points: 15,578, Level: 80
Activity: 79%
Activity: 79% Activity: 79% Activity: 79%

migiets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oga mi, i believe it is a good stock too. For long term it is very good cos people will always use consumables(soap,toothpaste,ingridients etc).

Ore mi, ma binu.
Thanks KOD, Oracle and others for the illuminating debate. I normally split my portfolio between trading stocks and retirement stocks. I do not normally looked deeply into p.e. when trying to buy a retirement stock because i can always average down. I once bought NB at 77, then at 66. I average down until i got an average of 50 before i finally sold this year for 74. This is not to mention the interim and final dividends that i have been chopping. Iam not as young as KOD. So i have to seek for retirement stocks once in a while.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:39 PM
Forum Moderator

Kindly be informed that Unilever Nigeria Plc have just released their Second quarter report for the period 30th June 2010.

Turnover for 2010 is N22.768b while 2009 is N31.104b
PBT for 2010 is 2.540b while 2009 is N3.498b
PAT for 2010 is N1.684b while 2009 is N2.492b.

Old 16th July 2010, 12:41 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Kindly be informed that Unilever Nigeria Plc have just released their Second quarter report for the period 30th June 2010.

Turnover for 2010 is N22.768b while 2009 is N31.104b
PBT for 2010 is 2.540b while 2009 is N3.498b
PAT for 2010 is N1.684b while 2009 is N2.492b.
What happened to the bottom line of this company... they were able to grow revenues but something have eaten the PAT.

Old 16th July 2010, 12:45 PM
Points: 11,537, Level: 70 Points: 11,537, Level: 70 Points: 11,537, Level: 70
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waves will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What happened to the bottom line of this company... they were able to grow revenues but something have eaten the PAT.
Really?.........

Last edited by Waves; 16th July 2010 at 12:59 PM.