StockMarketNigeria.com Forums

StockMarketNigeria.com Forums (http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums/)
-   Insurance Stocks (http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums/insurance-stocks/)
-   -   wapic insurance (http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums/insurance-stocks/459-wapic-insurance.html)

serenity 26th June 2007 11:40 AM

wapic insurance

What do you guys think of buy wapic stocks for short term?

oseitutu 26th June 2007 11:01 PM

Go for it with your Liver. I think it is a dip that could give you up to 50% capital appreciation by December, but you must be ready to cut out if e no gel or if it performs less than your expectations. I would expect at least 5% appreciation every two weeks.

Avocado 27th June 2007 09:38 AM

Oseitutu:are there some hard numbers and/or justifications for these projections?

olusolakemmy 27th June 2007 09:48 AM

someone says that insurance firm cant go beyond N8 at any point in time, i differ to that view.

alanbow 27th June 2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olusolakemmy (Post 3101)
someone says that insurance firm cant go beyond N8 at any point in time, i differ to that view.

I think it is possible for just a few but not sustainable.

Look at NEM, it doubled just because of very good first quarter performance, but is has been coming down ever since From 5.80 max now at 5.18.

So the 6naira ones can go beyond based on good performance but the question is for how long.

oseitutu 27th June 2007 05:24 PM

I am no expert!

Hard facts and figures are best obtained from the REAL professionals. I feel I am not an expert. One thing I try to eliminate from my stock decisions is sentiments. They are sector leaders, with PE of 16.09, very low indeed. They gave a stock split of 1 for 5 last July. Their full year results are overdue, probably because they are strategising and seeing how the new listings unfold. The stock has appreciated by almost 100% this year already. Their last year EPS was 6.22%. Market psychology at the moment seems to be "hold it hold it" as traded volumes are low. Major holders are not selling!
When you look at all this and consider that this is a stock exchange that has appreciated by 53% in less than 6 months, your projections would not be far from mine, besides it made the oseitutu list :D for stocks this June. Only 27 companies are on the list.
Experts may have a different view from me, but these are some of the criteria on which I based my entry earlier on.

c kenneths 27th June 2007 06:47 PM

I like the Oseitutu list for june, and men if you say you are not yet an expert, then what is the criteria for measuring expertise ?

However a few of those stocks may not be as fast in price appreciation, which will disqualify them from short term considerations, talking of UACP, BOC GASES, DANGOTE SUGAR etc, or what do we think?

ajifowowe adeyemi 27th June 2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenity (Post 3046)
What do you guys think of buy wapic stocks for short term?

Serenity there is nothing to fear about Wapic stockc. It is as good as you would grade Intercontinental bank.
I am sure you know that the company is proudly supported by (as an affiliate of) IBplc, hence, whatever rating you can give the bank, give Wapic also.:)

oseitutu 27th June 2007 06:57 PM

All those companies have appreciated by more than 50% this year! They all have historical PE ratios less than 30 at current price. They all published annual reports last year.

wanaj0 28th June 2007 12:42 PM

Insurance companies are the next BANG on the NSE. They have a lot of untapped potential that will cause a big expansion. Imagine the oil companies having to turn to the local insurers? Imagine the effect of the health insuarnce nad compulsory life insurance. Go for any well managed insurance stock and you will not regret.

Same applies with the pharmaceuticals. May and Baker is where to go now.

oseitutu 28th June 2007 08:56 PM

Wanaj, well spoken. The insurance index has grown by more than 180 % this year. May and Baker are on my stock picks list for June, so is Evans.

c kenneths 1st July 2007 02:57 PM

Oseitutu, its only that drug companies has not yet performed to my expectation, since the govt. announced a partial ban on imported drugs, I thought these companies will profit tremendously, but the performance has not been as much as expected, some attribute this to the activities of fake drug manufacturers who offer cheaper yet more dangerous versions of these drugs to the unsuspecting public, mostly illiterates.

On wapic, am still accumulating, this stock will hit the roof soon and I hope to be there.

c kenneths 14th August 2007 01:10 AM

wapic insurance

This notable insurance company, against all forcasts and positive analysis about them as one of the strongest and the best insurance firms in this country suddenly started to slip in price.
The last forcast is for 10 naira and the stock is still wallowing at the mid 6 naira.

While some analysts attributed this to the general bear session pervading the entire market, some investors may be selling to take up the offers in the market.

Would it be as a result of the recapitalisation rumoured in the insurance sector, even at that the company should have no problems meeting anylimits, considering size and experience.

I am still taking a serious view as to make a move, what do we think?

oseitutu 14th August 2007 03:01 AM

They are leaders

Quote:

Originally Posted by c kenneths (Post 4427)
This notable insurance company, against all forcasts and positive analysis about them as one of the strongest and the best insurance firms in this country suddenly started to slip in price.
The last forcast is for 10 naira and the stock is still wallowing at the mid 6 naira.

While some analysts attributed this to the general bear session pervading the entire market, some investors may be selling to take up the offers in the market.

Would it be as a result of the recapitalisation rumoured in the insurance sector, even at that the company should have no problems meeting anylimits, considering size and experience.

I am still taking a serious view as to make a move, what do we think?

Use this opportunity to take position. The price will shoot up pretty soon. Once the new Insurance companys have all landed and completed their initial listing price appreciation, the boys will once again be seperated from the men.

c kenneths 14th August 2007 07:03 AM

I will make more purchases on this one, it seems solid.

shigidi 15th August 2007 11:23 AM

which way to go??

@ ositetu, c kenneths,
which insurance companies do u see coming back up when this sector booms again? im torn between mbenefits, crusader or wapic insurance. i hear crusader just released a fantastic half year result. i really need some advice cos im not too familiar with this sector. thankyou.

oseitutu 15th August 2007 05:37 PM

Look at the backbone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigidi (Post 4502)
@ ositetu, c kenneths,
which insurance companies do u see coming back up when this sector booms again? im torn between mbenefits, crusader or wapic insurance. i hear crusader just released a fantastic half year result. i really need some advice cos im not too familiar with this sector. thankyou.

Shigidi, you are probablymore savy at analysing stocks than I am. I have seen and heard your gr8 contributions elsewhere. Anyway, WAPIC backbone is Intercontinental Bank. The largest bank in Nigeria. That is a really metal backbone if you ask me. Even before the recent bull run of the last 9 months, WAPIC has been strong. I do not know much about the others. MBI gave 9 for 10. What is their total issued shares now. I do not know why they did it but I saw that as not an excellent practice, unless they have most of their shares in their own custody and will use it to mop up campital from the secondary market with the price appreciation which they have seen. Many things dey happen joo, I no know again!:confused:

c kenneths 15th August 2007 09:26 PM

Shigidi is right to mention crusader and m/benefits as other good insurance stocks, and I will choose Crusader over M/benefits cause when you look at the P/E in that sector, Wapic and crusader used to attract the least P/E, not only that, I feel crusader is also undervalued at current earnings.

wanaj0 16th August 2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c kenneths (Post 4515)
Shigidi is right to mention crusader and m/benefits as other good insurance stocks, and I will choose Crusader over M/benefits cause when you look at the P/E in that sector, Wapic and crusader used to attract the least P/E, not only that, I feel crusader is also undervalued at current earnings.

Crusader is solid. NEM and UNIC should do fine also.

shigidi 16th August 2007 12:28 PM

@ c kenneths, but now we see crusader has gained 5% evry day for 4 days now and im sure this will continue. this will give it a higher p/e ratio. now also look at the fact that mbenefits half year isnt out. in the long term, i know crusader is very good but if any1 is looking at short term price rally, i have a hunch mbenefit is the one !!!