Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Nigerian Stocks > Insurance Stocks

Insurance Stocks Aiico, Guinea Insurance, Niger Insurance, Lasaco, UNIC Insurance, etc

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 21st December 2007, 09:47 PM
Points: 5,484, Level: 47 Points: 5,484, Level: 47 Points: 5,484, Level: 47
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dragon123 is on a distinguished road
Default Oasis Insurance

I asked my stockbroker to buy insurance shares or me and he bought Oasis. Is it a good buy? How come nobody had ever discussed it on this forum if it is. I had not discovered this great forum by then or else I would have gone for something else.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:04 AM
Points: 2,029, Level: 27 Points: 2,029, Level: 27 Points: 2,029, Level: 27
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

edwardaigbokhan is on a distinguished road
Post globe reinsurance/consolidated hallmark insurance

pls, i took part in the private placement of globe reinsurance and consolidated hallmark insurance but nothing has been coming from this companies.any information on this companies would be saving a worried mind. thank you all and God bless.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd December 2007, 05:14 AM
Points: 6,243, Level: 51 Points: 6,243, Level: 51 Points: 6,243, Level: 51

Avocado is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon123 View Post
I asked my stockbroker to buy insurance shares or me and he bought Oasis. Is it a good buy? How come nobody had ever discussed it on this forum if it is. I had not discovered this great forum by then or else I would have gone for something else.
Are you having a change of mind about OASIS? Why??
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:50 PM

I guess thats too late now. I am relatively new in this game. I really have not seen any information on OASIS and had hoped somebody who did would let me know if I had made a right move. I am into medium to long term investment and would appreciate if senior members like you and the number crunchers out there would comment on OASIS.
Old 24th December 2007, 01:26 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 15,915, Level: 81 Points: 15,915, Level: 81 Points: 15,915, Level: 81

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
pumping will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to pumping

Quote:
I guess thats too late now. I am relatively new in this game. I really have not seen any information on OASIS and had hoped somebody who did would let me know if I had made a right move. I am into medium to long term investment and would appreciate if senior members like you and the number crunchers out there would comment on OASIS.
Oasis has weak fundamentals. Q-3 PAT was only 120M with 5B outstanding shares. Projected PE is around 65x compared to an average of around 25 for the insurance sector. This is the 2nd highest in the sector and makes it an expensive stock at it's current price. I hope you bought cheaper than the current price.

Oasis will need to grow at about 200% next year to justify it's current price. Good luck.

Pumping.

Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is. You can't buy what is popular and do well.

-Warren Buffet-
Old 24th December 2007, 05:34 PM
Points: 5,386, Level: 47 Points: 5,386, Level: 47 Points: 5,386, Level: 47

MR. CEE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumping View Post
Oasis has weak fundamentals. Q-3 PAT was only 120M with 5B outstanding shares. Projected PE is around 65x compared to an average of around 25 for the insurance sector. This is the 2nd highest in the sector and makes it an expensive stock at it's current price. I hope you bought cheaper than the current price.

Oasis will need to grow at about 200% next year to justify it's current price. Good luck.
Pumping how do u get all the time to juggle between This site and the sister site and be offering assistant to people in need, Infact you are one of a kind Keep up the good work and don't give up. You never got angry with repetitive questions you might have provided answers previously. Happy Holiday.
Old 24th December 2007, 11:00 PM

Hmmmmm . Thanks pumping, I am learning fast. May be I should just stick to POs.
Old 25th December 2007, 03:30 AM
Points: 6,389, Level: 52 Points: 6,389, Level: 52 Points: 6,389, Level: 52

newton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to newton

Yeah... Kudos 2 all d men in da house. Merry xmas! Hopin 2 partake in more insightful discussions on insurance stocks
Old 26th December 2007, 01:24 AM
Points: 1,275, Level: 19 Points: 1,275, Level: 19 Points: 1,275, Level: 19

aguata is on a distinguished road
Default Mr. CEE

Please do give me the name of the sister website that you talked about..I am struggling to find info on top 10 insurance stocks to invest in Jan 2008...
Old 26th December 2007, 05:49 PM
Points: 9,096, Level: 64 Points: 9,096, Level: 64 Points: 9,096, Level: 64

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Babs_O will become famous soon enough

Quote:
@Dragon123. I think Oasis should be a good buy for the medium to long term. You will most likely thank your stock broker at the end of 2008 by the time the money raised by Oasis during the consolidation starts showing in their profit after tax. I'll advice keep it as it is currently relatively cheap in terms of price appreciation when compared to other insurance stocks and may end up having more headroom to go relatively to most of the others. I am currently targeting it also.
Old 27th December 2007, 11:25 AM
Points: 2,985, Level: 33 Points: 2,985, Level: 33 Points: 2,985, Level: 33

Survival2006 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. CEE View Post
Pumping how do u get all the time to juggle between This site and the sister site and be offering assistant to people in need, Infact you are one of a kind Keep up the good work and don't give up. You never got angry with repetitive questions you might have provided answers previously. Happy Holiday.
MR. CEE

I am a tough but silent fan of Pumping. You are soooooooooo right about him not getting tired nor angry. That guy has some rare qualities. May he keep them up as those that can reward somehow are there lurking. Pumping you a nice guy. Mr. Risky fro Nairaland
Old 27th December 2007, 07:37 PM

Oasis like most other stocks started climbing today to close above N 2.1
Looks like my target price has been missed. Another bull run starting ? Parhaps catch it for some short term gains as a minimum.
Old 11th January 2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Dragon, sure you're smiling now, aren't you?

Now's the time to ask your stockbroker why he recommended and bought OASIS. Already sold 30% of OASIS today; the climb is becoming steep; but price climbed some still.
Old 14th January 2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks Avocado. I guess the man knew what he was doing. I am raelly a medium to long term person and not comtemplating selling so soon. Wants to buy more and I guess I should leave it to him to decide again. Or do you have any good picks?
Old 14th January 2008, 08:26 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Avocado. I guess the man knew what he was doing. I am raelly a medium to long term person and not comtemplating selling so soon. Wants to buy more and I guess I should leave it to him to decide again. Or do you have any good picks?
Hmm. I hope you will not complain when he/she buys you stocks that destroy your portfolio. If a broker bought a stock on your behalf, ask him the reason for the choice.

I cannot think of any good reason of buying Oasis like I commented in December. I know it has now gained in price but this is the anomaly on the NSE. If it hits you in the opposite direction, you won't be very pleased.

The broker may have gambled and made a good choice. You don't want to gamble with your portfolio.

Pumping.

Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is. You can't buy what is popular and do well.

-Warren Buffet-
Old 14th January 2008, 08:34 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 85,113, Level: 100 Points: 85,113, Level: 100 Points: 85,113, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Groans: 2
hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumping View Post
Hmm. I hope you will not complain when he/she buys you stocks that destroy your portfolio. If a broker bought a stock on your behalf, ask him the reason for the choice.

I cannot think of any good reason of buying Oasis like I commented in December. I know it has now gained in price but this is the anomaly on the NSE. If it hits you in the opposite direction, you won't be very pleased.

The broker may have gambled and made a good choice. You don't want to gamble with your portfolio.
na true talk....if the broker buys another stock for you and it does very badly (ala Transcorp from N9 to N3), will you be able to ask him to reverse the transaction, after all when he made a right bet you did not complain.

If you decide to handover stock picking for your account to your broker, then let him know that clearly. If you do not expressly tell them to and they go ahead to buy stocks for your account without your authorization, it might just come back to bite you later on.

Anyway, congrats on Oasis
Old 14th January 2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs_O View Post
@Dragon123. I think Oasis should be a good buy for the medium to long term. You will most likely thank your stock broker at the end of 2008 by the time the money raised by Oasis during the consolidation starts showing in their profit after tax. I'll advice keep it as it is currently relatively cheap in terms of price appreciation when compared to other insurance stocks and may end up having more headroom to go relatively to most of the others. I am currently targeting it also.
Dragon. I told you. But it is playing faster than I forecasted. I have other data that supported this my comment.
Old 14th January 2008, 10:35 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs_O View Post
Dragon. I told you. But it is playing faster than I forecasted. I have other data that supported this my comment.

Why don't you share this data with us? We all like to make money you know.

Though I will honestly be surprised at any data that will support Oasis as a good investment at the current price except insider information. I beg, share sha just in case.

Did you say relatively cheap?? I don't agree with that at all. It is competing with Equity Assurance as the most expensive stock in the insurance industry.

Pumping.

-Warren Buffet-

Last edited by pumping; 14th January 2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 14th January 2008, 11:30 PM
Points: 1,405, Level: 21 Points: 1,405, Level: 21 Points: 1,405, Level: 21

juliusdudu is on a distinguished road

I am joining pumping to beg u pls share ur info with us. Definitely it must be insider info and this will greatly help my portfolio as I consider the stock too expensive for its fundamental.
Pls share us the info.
Old 15th January 2008, 09:44 AM

Dragon123: as I'd asked, the meat of the matter is asking your stockbroker why OASIS was a good buy then; the answer will determine if broker's good on OASIS. And, remember, it's a double-edged strategy that may draw you some blood to give your stockbroker the sort of control you've hinted. Plus, you could learn more from the broker if attention is paid to the reason behind trades. I had a reason or two for buying OASIS; I won't claim they were the soundest of reasons, but I was well braced for a loss; that's why locking in profits is the next move.

Now, there's some danger in a simplistic interpretation of the meaning of a metric like the PE ratio. A low PE (for a stock within its industry), say, could have at least two interpretations: stock is relatively cheap and is a steal at current price, or, outlook/growth for stock isn't bright; same for a high PE. It is important to be able to figure what's happening. A single metric, plus (even) valid extrapolations of current PAT, say, may not capture all there is to make a sound decision.

Babs_O: your book-value-based system is good; but you didn't answer a question earlier asked (perhaps you missed it?): how do you estimate the "goodwill" component? Do you set it to zero?

Cheers.