Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Financial products and resources > Investment Clubs

Investment Clubs Setting up Investment clubs in Nigeria.

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 19th October 2007, 02:58 PM
Points: 1,378, Level: 20 Points: 1,378, Level: 20 Points: 1,378, Level: 20
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
richmotions is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Stocks and Real Estate,which is a Better Investment?

Stocks and Real Estate are two important means of investing ones money.However of the two,real estate is the older and has been around since tome immemorial.

With the commencement of the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 1960,the Capital market has risen to a position of prominence.

I would therefore want to know which of the two is a better form of investment.

Any member of the Club that has the answer can send me a Private Message.Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May 2009, 10:46 PM
Points: 16,796, Level: 82 Points: 16,796, Level: 82 Points: 16,796, Level: 82

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
c kenneths has a spectacular aura aboutc kenneths has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Stocks and Real Estate,which is a Better Investment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmotions View Post
Stocks and Real Estate are two important means of investing ones money.However of the two,real estate is the older and has been around since tome immemorial.

With the commencement of the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 1960,the Capital market has risen to a position of prominence.

I would therefore want to know which of the two is a better form of investment.

Any member of the Club that has the answer can send me a Private Message.Thanks.
I will choose real estate, we are yet to have a real exchange crash in Nigeria.lol! Lands will continue to get more expensive as God is not making them anymore.

Your comments please.
Old 30th May 2009, 09:22 AM
Points: 16,221, Level: 81 Points: 16,221, Level: 81 Points: 16,221, Level: 81

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
wanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by c kenneths View Post
I will choose real estate, we are yet to have a real exchange crash in Nigeria.lol! Lands will continue to get more expensive as God is not making them anymore.

Your comments please.
It depends on your age, cash flow profile, investment objective etc.

My philosophy is 'make money from the capital market and store value in the real estate market'
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May 2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaj0 View Post

My philosophy is 'make money from the capital market and store value in the real estate market'
Thank you for reinforcing my beliefs. I pull rents and dump in the stock market and when its fat enough, start another building project.
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:36 PM
Points: 4,895, Level: 44 Points: 4,895, Level: 44 Points: 4,895, Level: 44
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

jamace is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks for sharing my philosophy.

I see both as means of making constant and continuous stream of income. For instance, if i have #5m now, I will prefer to invest in the stocks market first and use the gains from bonus,dividend and capital appreciation to diversify into real estate.
Generally, I see real estate and stocks as twin brothers in the investment world. It is essential that as an investor, one invests in both; which ever one you start with is a matter of choice.
Old 2nd June 2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamace View Post
Thanks for sharing my philosophy.

I see both as means of making constant and continuous stream of income. For instance, if i have #5m now, I will prefer to invest in the stocks market first and use the gains from bonus,dividend and capital appreciation to diversify into real estate.
Generally, I see real estate and stocks as twin brothers in the investment world. It is essential that as an investor, one invests in both; which ever one you start with is a matter of choice.
The best thing is to start with real estate (because the value stands for a long time) then slowly pull your rents and invest in stocks. Your investment in stocks can devalue very quickly, unlike the land/house.
Old 2nd June 2009, 06:10 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 41,009, Level: 100 Points: 41,009, Level: 100 Points: 41,009, Level: 100
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

For those who don't have the financial muscle to go into real estate, they can get exposure to the industry by buying a REIT like Skye Shelter at a good price, like now while counting dividends and reinvesting it back. I am thinking of accumulating one of them for retirement. I will have to dig up some info to get one with the best value.

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
Old 2nd June 2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
For those who don't have the financial muscle to go into real estate, they can get exposure to the industry by buying a REIT like Skye Shelter at a good price, like now while counting dividends and reinvesting it back. I am thinking of accumulating one of them for retirement. I will have to dig up some info to get one with the best value.
Always in love with Union homes, always looking at buying more of it. Its another way of playing in the property market.
Old 15th June 2009, 03:35 PM
arsah

I always believe that investing in real estate is a wise move, rather than in the stock market which is always very risky.

gold charms
Online Singles

Last edited by arsah; 4th February 2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 15th June 2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsah View Post
I always believe that investing in real estate is a wise move, rather than in the stock market which is always is very risk.

www.wasserbettenhife.com
online credit card processing
The more risk, the more expected returns.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:35 AM
Points: 16,283, Level: 81 Points: 16,283, Level: 81 Points: 16,283, Level: 81
Activity: 50%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
emmanuel ewumi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The best thing is to start with real estate (because the value stands for a long time) then slowly pull your rents and invest in stocks. Your investment in stocks can devalue very quickly, unlike the land/house.
That will depend on the money at your disposal,for a low income earner l will advice that one should start with the stock market and then diversify into real estate as your portfolio increases.
l started playing the stock market in 1994 as a student in the University with just 5000 naira. But now l have diversified into real estate and my personal business.
And we still have stock broking firm that still accept as low as N10000, provided you will put in something every month.
Old 19th June 2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel ewumi View Post
That will depend on the money at your disposal,for a low income earner l will advice that one should start with the stock market and then diversify into real estate as your portfolio increases.
l started playing the stock market in 1994 as a student in the University with just 5000 naira. But now l have diversified into real estate and my personal business.
And we still have stock broking firm that still accept as low as N10000, provided you will put in something every month.
It will depend on the cash at your disposal, but moreso on you discipline. I adviced that they first go into real estate before stocks because of the solid foundation real estate can offer the holder. It of course requires more capital to start but my attraction is the staying power of house values relative to stocks.

First time investors that started in stocks three years ago have left the market altogether, only about 20% still remains. They left with a bitter taste in their mouth. (The crash) but those that bought lands are watching the values increase steadily.

I started playing properties at 19, as an agent, found small deals and desperate sellers and bought slowly, raising single rooms for rent. Continued to expand till I found the stock market in 2003.
Old 19th June 2009, 01:58 PM
Points: 5,740, Level: 48 Points: 5,740, Level: 48 Points: 5,740, Level: 48

billions has a spectacular aura aboutbillions has a spectacular aura aboutbillions has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It will depend on the cash at your disposal, but moreso on you discipline. I adviced that they first go into real estate before stocks because of the solid foundation real estate can offer the holder. It of course requires more capital to start but my attraction is the staying power of house values relative to stocks.

First time investors that started in stocks three years ago have left the market altogether, only about 20% still remains. They left with a bitter taste in their mouth. (The crash) but those that bought lands are watching the values increase steadily.

I started playing properties at 19, as an agent, found small deals and desperate sellers and bought slowly, raising single rooms for rent. Continued to expand till I found the stock market in 2003.
You have started looking for bargains in the property market at the age of 19...Wow I must say I am impressed!

Dont stop...You may become the next "Donald John Trump".

This is not a joke.

Last edited by billions; 19th June 2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 19th June 2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billions View Post
You have started looking for bargains in the property market at the age of 19...Wow I must say I am impressed!

Dont stop...You may become the next "Donald John Trump".

This is not a joke.
Thank you bros, untill I make my own BILLIONS like you.......
Old 19th June 2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Prices of houses are equally falling,property selling for 100 million in january are now begging for buyers at 80 million.lf we are sincere a lot of houses are currently over valued,l guess the last bullish run affected the real estate market.The recapitalization of banks,and the need for more branches equally added to the pressure on real estate.
Old 19th June 2009, 03:32 PM
Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2

scopido is on a distinguished road

Real Rstate and storks are good investment,they are not compearable in terms of finance and the starting capital.
Real Estate need more capital while you can start stock with just thousand or less.
Old 19th June 2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel ewumi View Post
Prices of houses are equally falling,property selling for 100 million in january are now begging for buyers at 80 million.lf we are sincere a lot of houses are currently over valued,l guess the last bullish run affected the real estate market.The recapitalization of banks,and the need for more branches equally added to the pressure on real estate.
House prices cannot be as volatile as stock prices, and that stability is what starters need to reassert their confidence. Houses are overvalued.........but scarce. That shortfall in supply will always fuel high rents.

The strongest argument against houses is the difficulty in disposing it, relative to stocks. If you need urgent cash, you can call your broker but in houses, if you need to sell, you give it a six month timefame for the sale alone. Turnaround time could be slow for house sellers.

Last edited by c kenneths; 23rd June 2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
House prices cannot be as volatile as stock prices, and that stability is what starters need to reassert their confidence. Houses are overvalued.........but scarce. That shortfall in supply will always fuel high rents.

The strongest argument against houses is the difficulty in disposing it, elative to stocks. If you need urgent cash, you can call your brroker but in houses, if you need to sell, you give it a six month timefame for the sale alone. Turnaround time could be slow for house sellers.
So what will you advice a student,who can manage to invest N50000 per year for the next 5years to invest in.ls it real estate or stock market.
l am a mentor to about 12 students in the University,and l have always advised them to invest their meagre money in the stock market with a minimum time frame of 4 years.May be l will need to direct some of them to you,to learn how they can start real estate investment with little amount.
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:36 PM
Points: 4,288, Level: 41 Points: 4,288, Level: 41 Points: 4,288, Level: 41

Groans: 1
huru is on a distinguished road

I will advice your students form a partnership and start with land speculation.
C kenneths will be here with professional advice for them free of charge. Abi oga Kenneths?
Old 22nd June 2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huru View Post
I will advice your students form a partnership and start with land speculation.
C kenneths will be here with professional advice for them free of charge. Abi oga Kenneths?
l wont advice land speculation when you do not have the money to put a structure on it.l bought my first plots of land in 2000.l bought 4 plots of land at lbafo for N40000 per plot.Total cost with survey for the 4 plots was about N22000.
Two years after,the seller died. The children now started their own problem that there father never told them anything about the so called sale.
The next thing was to buy the land again from the children.Since l did not have the money to buy again,the compromise was to give two plots to the children. And l was left with 2 plots.Although the price had appreciated to about N120000 to N150000 then.
l visit my land once in 3 months.But when l got there on 1st may 2004,l found out that they have sold one of the remaining 2 plots and the guy had erected a structure on it.l had to sell my blue chip stocks in order to put a structure on the remaining plot.l am still in court to contest the purported sale of my land but where is the time to go to court.
l will always advice that,when you buy a plot of land,make you always have at least 70% of what it will cost you to build on it.
Land in Lagos and Ogun is not what you buy and leave for 5years,but you can buy a good stock and leave it for 10 years or more.lt was the stocks l bought between 1995 and 1997 that l later sold to build my first house in 2004.