Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Nigerian Stocks > Nigerian Stock Exchange

Nigerian Stock Exchange The Nigerian Stock Exchange, Stock brokers, CSCS

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 6th March 2014, 08:46 PM
Points: 7,841, Level: 59 Points: 7,841, Level: 59 Points: 7,841, Level: 59
Activity: 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
manemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MarketWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillykelly86 View Post
The mere fact that there will be some people on the losing end warrants action. More importantly, the people on the losing end are likely the "less-privileged" whose trades are not much & as such whose profits(if any) will not be much either.
As far as this new fee is concerned, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, the richer you are, the more benefits for you and the poorer you are, the less benefits and possibly the worse (than before the introduction of the new fee) for you.
And Shareholders associations should protect all shareholders, even those whose portfolios are worth N5,000 or less.
Bros, isn't it fact of life that the rich get richer and the poor poorer? Didn't you hear the Forbes ranking has Dangote's wealth increasing from $16b to $25b in one year? Some one with N16k will only get to N25k!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March 2014, 11:22 PM
Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
valuetrader is on a distinguished road

Formal Greetings the entire house!!
Let me bring a little things to you people so that we can all rub minds together and everybody can give out his/ her own opinion or better still a factual assertion.I formally start on a stock named UPL PLC.Going by an ever consistent attractive dividend payout of this coy,i think it worth looking at.From my own objective thoughts,going by 3rd quarter result,here are my inference:The coy has no debt burden,finance cost got better,effective cost control was in place and strongly felt and seen working out positivity in the coy's result,cost of sales went up,current eps of 66kobo.Accelerated growth in sales is forecasted to be achieved by 2013 4th quarter which will therefore reduce a possible lower profit in 4th quarter 2013 or even if 4th quarter might bring a marginal loss this expected revenue growth could mild its effect on the coy's result for 2013.3rd quarter revenue is #2.10bln and when compared to last year same period,revenue is better this year(i mean 2013)Moreso,the projected revenue for full year 2013 is put at #2.96bln as against the full year 2012 revenue of #2.31billion,this obviously shows that the 2013 full year revenue will be better than the previous year.Also,net profit has been seen to be already ahead of the prior year's profit of #261mln when you hv to look at third quarter p.a.t of #285mln.The projected full year profit is put at #410mln.So hw this projections for revenue and profit may not be realistic but one thing that is obvious is that,the full year 2013 p.a.t and revenue will surpas that of last financial year(i mean 2012).For corporate action,i mean their tradition of sweet dividend pay.Its also obvious that their 66kobo earning per share as at 3rd quarter 2013 is sure to increased when compared to last financial result.Even though,the projection for the coy's e.p.s is peg at 80kobo by me and therefore i obviously believed that this year dividend pay out should be atleast 45-50kobo and that is 10 percent plus like that, since they were able to made a 10% plus dividend pay ratio last financial result.I could see that this possible increase in dividend hasnt be factor-in into the stock hence a good buy for me.pls i want to hear your opinions about my own submission.Thanks house.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th March 2014, 12:01 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 80,707, Level: 100 Points: 80,707, Level: 100 Points: 80,707, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice

Dealing Clerks to undergo Continuous Professional Development - Proshare
Old 7th March 2014, 05:30 AM
Points: 5,546, Level: 47 Points: 5,546, Level: 47 Points: 5,546, Level: 47
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

chillykelly86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to chillykelly86 Send a message via Skype™ to chillykelly86

Quote:
Originally Posted by manemi View Post
Bros, isn't it fact of life that the rich get richer and the poor poorer? Didn't you hear the Forbes ranking has Dangote's wealth increasing from $16b to $25b in one year? Some one with N16k will only get to N25k!
The reality, sir, is that it will be even more difficult for the poor man who has 16k to get 25k because he also has to live off his "wealth", making it difficult to grow it.

But my point, regarding this new X-Alert rule/fee, is: why add another "straw" to the burden of the already ladden poor? And those who can & should speak up against it do not because it benefits them. Alternatively, why not give people the option of opting out of this alerting feature?
We can't say because the poor will get poorer anyway, let us fold our hands and let "what will be" be.

Old 7th March 2014, 06:26 AM
Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

PETERICHY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bos please expatiate on this your warning. Might help some who are trying to make buy or sell decision. One of the main reasons for SMN I ques.
Chief Manemi, you even mentioned some of the factors that will escalate the FiRE in the market before this month runs out in your previous post, The post-meltdown investors/traders can go through my previous post to get a clearer picture of what I'm driving at. As for the pre-meltdown investors/traders they've come to stay. Like the saying goes what doesn't kill you will make you stronger"
Old 7th March 2014, 07:04 AM
Points: 4,786, Level: 44 Points: 4,786, Level: 44 Points: 4,786, Level: 44
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Vincenta11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuetrader View Post
Let me bring a little things to you people so that we can all rub minds together and everybody can give out his/ her own opinion or better still a factual assertion.I formally start on a stock named UPL PLC.Going by an ever consistent attractive dividend payout of this coy,i think it worth looking at.From my own objective thoughts,going by 3rd quarter result,here are my inference:The coy has no debt burden,finance cost got better,effective cost control was in place and strongly felt and seen working out positivity in the coy's result,cost of sales went up,current eps of 66kobo.Accelerated growth in sales is forecasted to be achieved by 2013 4th quarter which will therefore reduce a possible lower profit in 4th quarter 2013 or even if 4th quarter might bring a marginal loss this expected revenue growth could mild its effect on the coy's result for 2013.3rd quarter revenue is #2.10bln and when compared to last year same period,revenue is better this year(i mean 2013)Moreso,the projected revenue for full year 2013 is put at #2.96bln as against the full year 2012 revenue of #2.31billion,this obviously shows that the 2013 full year revenue will be better than the previous year.Also,net profit has been seen to be already ahead of the prior year's profit of #261mln when you hv to look at third quarter p.a.t of #285mln.The projected full year profit is put at #410mln.So hw this projections for revenue and profit may not be realistic but one thing that is obvious is that,the full year 2013 p.a.t and revenue will surpas that of last financial year(i mean 2012).For corporate action,i mean their tradition of sweet dividend pay.Its also obvious that their 66kobo earning per share as at 3rd quarter 2013 is sure to increased when compared to last financial result.Even though,the projection for the coy's e.p.s is peg at 80kobo by me and therefore i obviously believed that this year dividend pay out should be atleast 45-50kobo and that is 10 percent plus like that, since they were able to made a 10% plus dividend pay ratio last financial result.I could see that this possible increase in dividend hasnt be factor-in into the stock hence a good buy for me.pls i want to hear your opinions about my own submission.Thanks house.

First of all this post should have gone u nder the UPL thread.

My past experience of this stock is that the price does not appreciate that much in spite of the fact that the company seems to be well run.

Your eps projection may be too much because from experience also, itseps does not increase progressively each quarter.

There is a quarter they usually make a loss(-eps).

One other thing they have going for them is low OS, so that way they occasionally declare bonus too.

Ive not really studied their financials for 2013/2014, but the bit Ive said is based on past experience.

If for long termers, it is good becuase of dividends and bonus but I dont think short termers do look the way of UPL.
Old 7th March 2014, 08:25 AM
Points: 1,176, Level: 18 Points: 1,176, Level: 18 Points: 1,176, Level: 18
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Iroquoi is on a distinguished road

The death of long-term thinking ?

Long-Term Thinking: 1800-2013

With readers' feedback
RIP Long-Term Thinking: 1800-2014
Old 7th March 2014, 08:50 AM

Pls house I want to ask these 2 simple questions;

1. Why do some companies list on the NSE? (Eg Nestle, PZ Cussions, etc)

2. Why don't some other companies list on the NSE? (Eg MTN, Proctor and Gamble, Promasidor, etc)

Will be grateful to get as many answers to these as possible.

Thanks.
Old 7th March 2014, 09:43 AM
Points: 6,816, Level: 54 Points: 6,816, Level: 54 Points: 6,816, Level: 54
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
netotse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to netotse

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuetrader View Post
oga valuetrader, could you change the way you format your posts? the absence of paragraphs and line spacing makes them difficult to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillykelly86 View Post
The reality, sir, is that it will be even more difficult for the poor man who has 16k to get 25k because he also has to live off his "wealth", making it difficult to grow it.

But my point, regarding this new X-Alert rule/fee, is: why add another "straw" to the burden of the already ladden poor? And those who can & should speak up against it do not because it benefits them. Alternatively, why not give people the option of opting out of this alerting feature?
We can't say because the poor will get poorer anyway, let us fold our hands and let "what will be" be.
Bros can you prove that the poor will be adversely affected by this change? what is the percentage of people that execute trades less than NGN7000 on the NSE? The notification charges are being made more realistic and here you are say insinuating it's part of the plot by the rich to ensure that they stay rich and the poor remain poor.

Bank alert charges were reduced to the same NGN4 and we did not hear any complaints, an sms is charged at NGN4 and the regulator will bill you that amount for notification of transactions.

If your argument was that some service providers(on the web) offer sms for less I would get your point, but since that doesn't seem to be what you're saying...*shrugs*
The Following User Says Thank You to netotse For This Useful Post:
hispy99 (7th March 2014)
Old 7th March 2014, 10:52 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 40,571, Level: 100 Points: 40,571, Level: 100 Points: 40,571, Level: 100

Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenta11 View Post

2. Why don't some other companies list on the NSE? (Eg MTN, Proctor and Gamble, Promasidor, etc)

Thanks.
1. These companies were forced to list because of the Nigerian law that required them to.

2. These companies were not in Nigeria when that law was still in enforcement. Plus they do not have any incentive to list because of the pressures from the market that forces managers to take short term decisions so that investors can get bonus and dividends every year. That was why NBC delisted and that was why GSK wanted to delist.

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
The Following User Says Thank You to knightofdelta For This Useful Post:
Vincenta11 (7th March 2014)
Old 7th March 2014, 11:30 AM
Points: 15,547, Level: 80 Points: 15,547, Level: 80 Points: 15,547, Level: 80
Activity: 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
emmanuel ewumi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
1. These companies were forced to list because of the Nigerian law that required them to.

2. These companies were not in Nigeria when that law was still in enforcement. Plus they do not have any incentive to list because of the pressures from the market that forces managers to take short term decisions so that investors can get bonus and dividends every year. That was why NBC delisted and that was why GSK wanted to delist.
I don't think so, this is debatable. NBC and GSK can also transfer their investments to other markets since they believe delisting is in the best interest of their companies.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post

Thank God for that policy, if not some of us may never know about the stock market.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERICHY View Post
My 16.2million Units of BankPHB shares is still trapped in CBN confer since Aug 5th 2011, So if Sanusi want he can go ahead and raise d CCR of both public fund and private fund to 101% all I know is that this now my Entry Point GTB=#12, Zenith=#10, FBHN=#8, ETI=#8 Access=#5, Stanbic=#5 UBN=#3, UBA=#3, Diamond=#2, SKYEBank=#2, FCMB=#2 Fidelity= #1 Sterling=#1, wemabank=20kobo and UnityBank=10kobo. Else I wait till end of June next .yrs dats if there is a successful transition on May 29th, * Drinking Pepsi*
Very Soon my entry price will become a reality. *Warming Up*
Old 7th March 2014, 05:41 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 80,707, Level: 100 Points: 80,707, Level: 100 Points: 80,707, Level: 100

hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenta11 View Post

Thanks.
Why do companies list? Companies list for a number of reasons including to lower borrowing costs, makes it easier to raise capital, liquidity purposes and it provides an explicit value for the company (so for examplke it makes it easier for the company to acquire another firm using shares).

So what benefits will MTN, Proctor & Gamble etc derive from listing, apart from the headache of managing multiple listings across continents and the costs of listing. How does it benefit the company?
The Following User Says Thank You to hispy99 For This Useful Post:
Vincenta11 (7th March 2014)
Old 7th March 2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hispy99 View Post
Why do companies list? Companies list for a number of reasons including to lower borrowing costs, makes it easier to raise capital, liquidity purposes and it provides an explicit value for the company (so for examplke it makes it easier for the company to acquire another firm using shares).

So what benefits will MTN, Proctor & Gamble etc derive from listing, apart from the headache of managing multiple listings across continents and the costs of listing. How does it benefit the company?
Oga Hispy99 and Oga KOD,

I have thanked you the SMN way for answering my questions.

I was actually playing the Devil's Advocate.

With what happens in the NSE, I get disillusioned once in a while that I get to think that the NSE is one big Charade.

There is this post by DJANGO earlier today in the OANDO thread that further heightens this feeling;

Noticed as well since I joined the forum a week ago... Just a subtle aversion towards short-term investors/traders on this forum! But hey! It's all good!

From my experience, in this our investing clime, if you are not on the inside, then long-term investing is just as risky as speculation... Go ask the shareholders (the patient ones) of Unipetrol, Dunlop, Union Diagnostic, Intercontinental Bank, Oceanic Bank, Bank PHB; Afribank...

In this clime, they can easily turn your stocks into shares, if you know what I mean, sarcastically speaking - Oceanic's N16.50 IPO unit to 7kobo Ecobank share (2007 to 2011) - Is that investing not long-term enough? (True Story!)

The thing is, most likely because of weak regulation, the investing in the NSE is probably one big gambling game.
Old 7th March 2014, 08:03 PM
Forum Moderator

Corporate Earnings for the Week Ending March 7, 2014 - Proshare
Old 10th March 2014, 11:42 AM
Points: 7,841, Level: 59 Points: 7,841, Level: 59 Points: 7,841, Level: 59

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
manemi is on a distinguished road

Oga Nosa welcome back. I am glad to see you posting more often now. But abeg make you talk stocks, the market and the economy. The State of the Nation thread is ok, but SMN is becoming more like a PDP and APC campaign website. Nowadays I have to go to Nairaland to read about stocks. I am not degrading SMN or members oo. Just wish the focus moves back to what it used to be.
Old 10th March 2014, 11:44 AM
Points: 3,682, Level: 38 Points: 3,682, Level: 38 Points: 3,682, Level: 38

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Valuefront is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oga Nosa welcome back. I am glad to see you posting more often now. But abeg make you talk stocks, the market and the economy. The State of the Nation thread is ok, but SMN is becoming more like a PDP and APC campaign website. Nowadays I have to go to Nairaland to read about stocks. I am not degrading SMN or members oo. Just wish the focus moves back to what it used to be.
Yes o. I read more stock on nairaland these days
Old 10th March 2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuefront View Post
That's the characteristics of a bearish market, Don't worry when the bulls comes you will see floods and serials of analysis and counter analysis...
Old 10th March 2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuefront View Post

I also frequent Nairaland but at times the quality of discussion on their stock-market thread is not too good.