Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > User Feeback, Suggestions, Comments > Off Topic

Off Topic Other topics not relevant to this website

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

View Poll Results: Should political posts be suspended temporarily?
Yes 5 26.32%
No 12 63.16%
Indifferent 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 7th January 2012, 09:02 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 27,688, Level: 98 Points: 27,688, Level: 98 Points: 27,688, Level: 98
Activity: 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Oracle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: State of the Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaj0 View Post
When you have people like Dele Momodu (Ovation Master) leading the protest then you know it is a sham! While you have genuine protesters, you also have the rent a crowd like the million man march! Believing now that N1bn was really allocated by the cabal for this protest! Only God knows how much Momodu got to organise this Pity those in the cold genuinely not knowing that for some it is BUSINESS.
It may be & it may not a sham!

Let me take you back memory lane for a while: A tunisian street seller by name Mohamed Bouazizi was harassed by a female police officer & her aides. Bouazizi's wares were taken. He complained to the police but they didn't listen to him. He left the station only to be back with petrol on 17th of Dec 2010. He soaked & burnt himself! Do you know that it was this singular act of protest that led to the Arab spring that swept across North Africa to the Middle East?! I know you know. Prior to Bouazizi's encounter with police, there wouldn't have been protest. There wouldn't have been the Arab spring! His self-immolation made people remember that tunisians(& the arab world) have for long been patiently swallowing all the anomalies of ther politicians.

Extrapolating this to what is happening today in Nigeria,you will agree with me that Nigerians have been patiently swallowing all the anomalies of their politicians. The have never protested. The poor people never knew(then compared to now) how much politicians,president & all other office holders take home. Now they have known! Now they are protesting cos the politicians removed what belongs to them! Nobody knew that the singular act of self-immolation by a mere street seller would trigger shockwaves that toppled dictators. Nobody will know the dimension which this 9ja protest will take.

People may say it's sponsored. But when it gets out of hand,even the sponspors will be made to have a share of what he/she caused cos they are on the corridor of power!
The Following User Says Thank You to Oracle For This Useful Post:
eniyanman (7th January 2012)
Old 7th January 2012, 09:52 AM
Points: 43,713, Level: 100 Points: 43,713, Level: 100 Points: 43,713, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Salida is on a distinguished road

Let's go down the memory lane..

A piece of advice few years back by a Venezuelan envoy..

Manage your oil wealth well, Venezuela urges Nigeria
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salida For This Useful Post:
bamidele97 (7th January 2012), Picolena66 (7th January 2012)
Old 7th January 2012, 09:54 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
@Oracle. I have completed my three groans. Listen to your arguement na. Anybody that can afford to buy a stepdown transformer for domestic use can buy enough fuel to generate power for 10 years. It does not take rocket science to just employ such people as Horlads pointed out or just identify communities that can tap current along the route and bill them for 24 hour electric supply which any Nigerian will gladly pay for at reasonable prices. That will be an extra source of income.

#fuelsubsidy. UK has a GDP of $2 trillion and the prime minister earns around $200K while our VP budget for newspaper can pay the UK prime minister. Guess our GDP? $200 billion!
How did you get your 10 year period? Funny guy!

Ok,let's do a backward calculation.
Assume you use I-pass-my-neighbour gen. It uses 4 litres of petrol. On the average it can be on for 8 hours. Assume petrol cost N65 per litre.
So for 8-hr use, I will pay N260[i.e,N65* 4] for petrol. For 24-hr use, I'll need to pay N780.
Let's find,how many 24-hr(or 1-day) period we have in 10 year.
10 years= 10* 365.25 days=3652.5.

Therefore the cost of burning petrol in a 4-litre capacity gen for 10 years will be:
3652.5 * N780= N2,848,950.

Kindly note that my friend bought a stepdown transformer(11KV to 220V) for N700,000. Just a quarter of the amount you send on using a gen for 10 years.

People may wonder why you need to pay high PHCN bills of N5,000 to N10,000 per month when the light may just be 18hrs per day.

A short analysis for some lay members(KOD,I'm not referring to you here. Just using the same post).

Imagine using the same 4-litre gen & running for 24 hrs. You end up paying N780 for the consumption. In 31 days of use, you pay:
N780 * 31= N24,180.

And this cost excludes many electrical loads.
So connecting to the grid is good,cheaper & noiseless(no more gen noise at your window)

When next you see a bill of N5,000 to N15,000 for 18 hr consumption,pay promptly! If possible give the officer N200 as allowance!

Based on this cost of using gen,imagine using the same gen at the same rate when fuel is at N141. You will be paying double the cost of running gen explained above.

And what will happen if a private investor gives me constant electricity for 24 hrs & beyond & charge me N18,000 per month for my consumption. I'll gladly pay!
Old 7th January 2012, 10:09 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
If you have the money and skill to do all that you will likely build your own power plant. Unlike fuel, electricity is difficult to store, transfer and sell to others! A fraction of what you will spend doing this criminal activity will get you a gen. Note that once you do this, police will know, area boys will know and everyday they will be coming to collect money from you.

Summary it is not 'economical' for you to do
My Oga,na awoof light now. When I connect, I go allow you tap from me too. The area boys wey wan collect money no need light? The police man wife wan dey sell ice block & before you know the police man will come and thank me for making his wife not ask him for money.

The truth is that the govt or any investor(in laision with the govt or vice versa) will need to connect the masses to the national grid for constant electrification. In that way there will be no thoughts of that.
Old 7th January 2012, 10:23 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horlads View Post
I just proffered a solution to the smart dude who knows how to step down my 11/33 KV line to the level of even using a circuit breaker. I GO EMPLOY D GUY and give him work in the transport company....and employ all those who are that smart to evade me...It will sure cost me less in the long run....
Wayo just full your head!

Na the same way wey Yar' & GEJ take employ more than 15,000 militant put them on national payroll,na im you wan follow. Now wey be say some groups(Boko haram) now want employment(front & back door employment),wetin be the next step?!
Old 7th January 2012, 10:24 AM
Points: 6,742, Level: 53 Points: 6,742, Level: 53 Points: 6,742, Level: 53
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
bamidele97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salida View Post

Oga Salida thank you very much for digging out this very good piece of advice.
our shortsighted leaders would have thought the Ambassador was blabbering when he said this.
Imagine, the cost of PMS was never reviewed up for more than a decade in Venezuela!
Old 7th January 2012, 10:49 AM
Points: 17,014, Level: 83 Points: 17,014, Level: 83 Points: 17,014, Level: 83
Activity: 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
wanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
My Oga,na awoof light now. When I connect, I go allow you tap from me too. The area boys wey wan collect money no need light? The police man wife wan dey sell ice block & before you know the police man will come and thank me for making his wife not ask him for money.

The truth is that the govt or any investor(in laision with the govt or vice versa) will need to connect the masses to the national grid for constant electrification. In that way there will be no thoughts of that.
What is private investors business with National grid????

We will tap power from you and still come to meet you to pay deve! You no get choice! Everyone will constantly be on your payroll. Na so e be.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January 2012, 10:54 AM

wanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamidele97 View Post
Oga Salida thank you very much for digging out this very good piece of advice.
our shortsighted leaders would have thought the Ambassador was blabbering when he said this.
Imagine, the cost of PMS was never reviewed up for more than a decade in Venezuela!
Maybe you should check whether they are paying for subsidy from excess money or they are borrowing to pay for subsidy.

To help you, look at the population of Venezuela and compare it with Nigeria. Compare also the production of Venezuela with that of Nigeria.

When you finish, also find out which country their president went to for treatment when he was ill.

Feedback your discovery to the house.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January 2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
It may be & it may not a sham!

Let me take you back memory lane for a while: A tunisian street seller by name Mohamed Bouazizi was harassed by a female police officer & her aides. Bouazizi's wares were taken. He complained to the police but they didn't listen to him. He left the station only to be back with petrol on 17th of Dec 2010. He soaked & burnt himself! Do you know that it was this singular act of protest that led to the Arab spring that swept across North Africa to the Middle East?! I know you know. Prior to Bouazizi's encounter with police, there wouldn't have been protest. There wouldn't have been the Arab spring! His self-immolation made people remember that tunisians(& the arab world) have for long been patiently swallowing all the anomalies of ther politicians.

Extrapolating this to what is happening today in Nigeria,you will agree with me that Nigerians have been patiently swallowing all the anomalies of their politicians. The have never protested. The poor people never knew(then compared to now) how much politicians,president & all other office holders take home. Now they have known! Now they are protesting cos the politicians removed what belongs to them! Nobody knew that the singular act of self-immolation by a mere street seller would trigger shockwaves that toppled dictators. Nobody will know the dimension which this 9ja protest will take.

People may say it's sponsored. But when it gets out of hand,even the sponspors will be made to have a share of what he/she caused cos they are on the corridor of power!
IF Dele Momodu is the one leading your protest then that is nothing but Awada Kerikeri. Baba Sala can do better

If the protest is against high emoluments of public officers I am in support. If the protest is against corruption I am in support. If the protest is about constitutional reforms I am in support. If we are asking that 36 states be collapsed to 6 I am in support. If we are asking that size of government be reduced I am in support. if we are protesting about the security situation I am in support

However, if the protest is about removal of subsidy, count me out because it makes no sense!
Old 7th January 2012, 12:07 PM
Points: 9,404, Level: 65 Points: 9,404, Level: 65 Points: 9,404, Level: 65
Activity: 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

duduspace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
IF Dele Momodu is the one leading your protest then that is nothing but Awada Kerikeri. Baba Sala can do better

If the protest is against high emoluments of public officers I am in support. If the protest is against corruption I am in support. If the protest is about constitutional reforms I am in support. If we are asking that 36 states be collapsed to 6 I am in support. If we are asking that size of government be reduced I am in support. if we are protesting about the security situation I am in support

However, if the protest is about removal of subsidy, count me out because it makes no sense!
The protest is against all these and more.

There is something that brings things to a head and maybe Subsidy removal is that thing.

And why exactly is Dele Momodu not qualified to partake in or to lead a protest? What qualifications or antecedents exactly are needed to sympathize with the people you know will suffer under a government's ill planned and timed policy?

I really can't understand why protesting about removal of subsidy makes no sense. The fact that you have people already protesting in the streets before the career rabble rousers (NLC, TUC e.t.c) step in should be enough warning that this is a potential keg of gunpowder.

I believe most people understand the economic reasoning behind a pro-subsidy removal stance its the impact on the masses that has caused the outcry. With or without subsidy, the fat cats will still be fed. It is who pays for their feeding that is being shifted from Government to the people, I challenge SLS to convince any sane person otherwise.

Last edited by duduspace; 7th January 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 7th January 2012, 12:09 PM
Points: 10,670, Level: 68 Points: 10,670, Level: 68 Points: 10,670, Level: 68
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
horlads is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wayo just full your head!

Na the same way wey Yar' & GEJ take employ more than 15,000 militant put them on national payroll,na im you wan follow. Now wey be say some groups(Boko haram) now want employment(front & back door employment),wetin be the next step?!
See my guy sha....na who get wayo for head...

It takes more intellect to tap a 11/33KV line and domesticate it than it takes to blow up a pipeline or kidnap people...I stand to be corrected anyway...Even at that, the amnesty programme did solve the problem. It doesn't mean they gave it the best solution anyway. I believe training those guys and giving them the required infrastructure to be self dependent is better than handling them a free pay check.

I can't remember saying I would hand them a free pay check....I would just tap into the guy's ingenuity by employing him and giving him the requisite training to function in d role which he suits best....Is that not strategy undercover agencies use? if the guy is a hard guy, bring him on board...weaken your enemy (the art of war)

A hen that leaves her chicks unguarded should not complain when the predatory hawk comes calling - horlads
Old 7th January 2012, 12:52 PM

The protest is about subsidy removal nothing more. If the subsidy is re introduced now everything returns back to status quo! That tells you all you need to know.

Well, with a friend like Dele Momodu you dont need an enemy! Will not say more than that. Google Godwin Daboh and read about him. That will make you to understand such people.

Removal of subsidy is the RIGHT thing to do that is why protesting against it make no sense.

Protest against every other thing not against something that is RIGHT. That it is unpopular does not make it wrong.

Yes the impact should be ameliorated. Yes cushion should be provided for those in the lower rung of the society BUT subsidy should still be removed.

For those who really care about the poor, when next you are driving that your car, carry other people in the car. Offer them lift. Pool car with those going in the same direction with you. Enough of cars with only one occupant! Let the concern go beyond the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duduspace View Post
The protest is against all these and more.

There is something that brings things to a head and maybe Subsidy removal is that thing.

And why exactly is Dele Momodu not qualified to partake in or to lead a protest? What qualifications or antecedents exactly are needed to sympathize with the people you know will suffer under a government's ill planned and timed policy?

I really can't understand why protesting about removal of subsidy makes no sense. The fact that you have people already protesting in the streets before the career rabble rousers (NLC, TUC e.t.c) step in should be enough warning that this is a potential keg of gunpowder.

I believe most people understand the economic reasoning behind a pro-subsidy removal stance its the impact on the masses that has caused the outcry. With or without subsidy, the fat cats will still be fed. It is who pays for their feeding that is being shifted from Government to the people, I challenge SLS to convince any sane person otherwise.
Old 7th January 2012, 01:39 PM
Points: 6,742, Level: 53 Points: 6,742, Level: 53 Points: 6,742, Level: 53

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
bamidele97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe you should check whether they are paying for subsidy from excess money or they are borrowing to pay for subsidy.

To help you, look at the population of Venezuela and compare it with Nigeria. Compare also the production of Venezuela with that of Nigeria.

When you finish, also find out which country their president went to for treatment when he was ill.

Feedback your discovery to the house.
Where do I start from?
Owen Hagreaves, Ruud van Nisteroy e.t.c travelled to US for treatment and that doesn't mean UK health sector is in doldrum.
Is there no positive effect of large population to the economy?
Why do we have to import refined oil in the first place?
Somebody from another country spoke more than 2 years ago about impending doom concerning your oil sector when even your government thought the going was good.
For 2 years no appreciable attempt at build a new refinery and so on.
Failure is one thing, but having excuse for your failure and backwardness in the comity of nations makes success.........
Old 7th January 2012, 02:42 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
The protest is about subsidy removal nothing more. If the subsidy is re introduced now everything returns back to status quo! That tells you all you need to know.

Well, with a friend like Dele Momodu you dont need an enemy! Will not say more than that. Google Godwin Daboh and read about him. That will make you to understand such people.

Removal of subsidy is the RIGHT thing to do that is why protesting against it make no sense.

Protest against every other thing not against something that is RIGHT. That it is unpopular does not make it wrong.

Yes the impact should be ameliorated. Yes cushion should be provided for those in the lower rung of the society BUT subsidy should still be removed.

For those who really care about the poor, when next you are driving that your car, carry other people in the car. Offer them lift. Pool car with those going in the same direction with you. Enough of cars with only one occupant! Let the concern go beyond the internet.
You wrote: "Yes,cushion should be provided for those at the lower rung of the society...."
My Oga,can you tell this honourable house how those at the lower rung of the society can be reach considering the available structures, processes & resources we have at hand? NOI said similar thing about reaching the poor. Please tell us how. I want to learn from you.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:51 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
What is private investors business with National grid????

We will tap power from you and still come to meet you to pay deve! You no get choice! Everyone will constantly be on your payroll. Na so e be.
Deve! You be real waffi!
Old 7th January 2012, 03:15 PM
Points: 7,142, Level: 55 Points: 7,142, Level: 55 Points: 7,142, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
faithgonuel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You wrote: "Yes,cushion should be provided for those at the lower rung of the society...."
My Oga,
can you tell this honourable house how those at the lower rung of the society can be reach considering the available structures, processes & resources we have at hand?

NOI said similar thing about reaching the poor. Please tell us how. I want to learn from you.
Comprehensive and updated NATIONAL DATABASE but unfortunately Nigeria(our country) has got NON.
Old 7th January 2012, 03:32 PM
Points: 8,531, Level: 62 Points: 8,531, Level: 62 Points: 8,531, Level: 62

baotoghile is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to baotoghile

vanguardngr.com/2012/01/subsidy-removal-expect-to-pay-more-telecoms-operators-tell-subscribers/
Old 7th January 2012, 03:34 PM
Points: 8,531, Level: 62 Points: 8,531, Level: 62 Points: 8,531, Level: 62

baotoghile is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to baotoghile

Subsidy removal: Expect to pay more, telecoms operators tell subscribers
Old 7th January 2012, 03:37 PM
Points: 19,422, Level: 88 Points: 19,422, Level: 88 Points: 19,422, Level: 88
Activity: 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Picolena66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salida View Post

Hmmm............Thanks Oga Salida

If only those in Power would Listen, Learn and then Go Forth and Develop
Old 7th January 2012, 04:06 PM
Points: 10,670, Level: 68 Points: 10,670, Level: 68 Points: 10,670, Level: 68
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
horlads is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The bold portion can so piss me off...at times, I wonder if my grief is aggravated by the fact that I don't drive a car myself. Polling cars will go a long way in conserving fuel and reducing the traffic on Lagos roads...

I've seen some private cars pick up passengers for a fee as well...the number of people who do this has increased since the fuel subsidy palaver...I'll like to see cars with 3 or 4 people in it....not one person...

doing that will reduce the number of public buses on the road to start with assuming those who have cars choose not to pool their cars with other car owners....If they decide to pool their cars, the number of cars on Nigerian roads will be slashed by more than half in the long run...that's a decent way to reduce traffic and conserve fuel...a win-win for all....

A hen that leaves her chicks unguarded should not complain when the predatory hawk comes calling - horlads

« Sports Matters | - »