StockMarketNigeria.com Forums

StockMarketNigeria.com Forums (http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   State of the Nation (http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/forums/off-topic/2443-state-nation.html)

nosa2 1st September 2009 11:48 PM

State of the Nation

Quote:

Originally Posted by waaan5 (Post 55402)
Very interesting view points indeed. I never knew somebody would be defending the Alams, Kalus, and the Dariyes of this world in this way - Other than ofcourse their immediate cohorts. So do you think the EFCC under madam is better than that under Ribadu? Or should the agency be scrapped altogether? Anyways, let us revert to watching the banks. Sorry for the diversion.

There is one fundamental flaw in Nigerians, and that flaw is that we dont realise yet that we hold our own destiny in our hands, you ask me if Waziri is doing a good job, well she's following the law and if you think thats not good enough or tough enough then amend the law, after all its our law to change but she'll be a fool to break the law in order to enforce it and play to the gallery. By the way i'm not defending corruption but i am defending their right to be prosecuted under the laws of the land and not to be bullied.

nosa2 1st September 2009 11:58 PM

Re: State of the Nation

Quote:

Originally Posted by c kenneths (Post 55411)
And that is my main source of concern. Rome was even a paradise, lets not turn Nigeria to Hitler's/Geobel's Germany where antagonism takes over the reasoning of the leaders.

Hitler actually managed to turn around Germany from a nation saddled with debts and hyper inflation to a super power capable of taking on the world, so except for his racist, war like attitude the guy was a good president

Quote:

Originally Posted by c kenneths (Post 55412)
Whose money did he take then, the money belongs to Nigeria even before it hit the accounts.

Problem is it would be next to impossible to prove it in a court of law.

nosa2 23rd September 2009 06:57 PM

An interesting article allAfrica.com: Africa: Diminishing Profile of a Giant (Page 1 of 2)

c kenneths 6th October 2009 10:22 AM

What do we think of the Anambra debacle? Who do you think will become the governor of this crisis ridden state, theatre of the absurd.

nosa2 6th October 2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c kenneths (Post 57880)
What do we think of the Anambra debacle? Who do you think will become the governor of this crisis ridden state, theatre of the absurd.

soludo and obi are good candidates, i guess we're seeing the dividends of competition, i'm rooting for soludo thou i'm a member of AC

c kenneths 6th October 2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosa2 (Post 57883)
soludo and obi are good candidates, i guess we're seeing the dividends of competition, i'm rooting for soludo thou i'm a member of AC

I support Soludo to take this one. The state needs a change of guards to turn things around. Obi and his men have tried but its time to say goodbye, meanwhile my fear is the type of heavyweights lining up to do battle over the seat, at last count there are over 10 'credible' candidates ready to do battle with each other.

iluvstocks 6th October 2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c kenneths (Post 57884)
I support Soludo to take this one. The state needs a change of guards to turn things around. Obi and his men have tried but its time to say goodbye, meanwhile my fear is the type of heavyweights lining up to do battle over the seat, at last count there are over 10 'credible' candidates ready to do battle with each other.

For me it is very simple, Soludo all the way. If we are going anywhere as a country we need guys like him to change the face of leadership in Nigeria. I see hope with Soludo, Chime, Oshiomole and Fashola as governors. If somehow the Ekiti situation gets resolved,wow! we can at least say we have some kind of leadership at the state level.

hispy99 7th October 2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosa2 (Post 57925)
and replace with who, IBB (corruption in human form), Atiku (ex customs officer, need i say more), Burhari (a man who cant even play the politics of his party), lets be honest Yar a Dua is the best man for the job right now, maybe 2015 Dora comes up or who ever but right now slow and steady is what we need.

Are you serious? What "job" has he done?

pumping 7th October 2009 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hispy99 (Post 57953)

Job?? For where? He's leaving everything for the next president...

nosa2 7th October 2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hispy99 (Post 57953)

The peaceful resolution of the militancy problem, the banking reforms, deregulation, reversal of the corrupt sale of some of our national assets to name a few, but most importantly is his policy for respecting the rule of law and the independence of the judiciary, and these are just the ones i can think off head, i know you were expecting roads, electricity, water etc but there's more to nation building than mega watts or kilometers

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvstocks (Post 57944)
No offence but this is the exact same Obasanjo mentality that led him to 3rd term. I was a supporter of Obasanjo but a big NO to third term. Same with Yaradua. I would give it to you that with these achievements he would have solved some really major problems but we cant say there are no better candidates. Have you heard of a guy by name Fashola?

fashola's brand is too yoruba for him to make it on a national scale, which is a shame cause he'll have made a brilliant president

hispy99 7th October 2009 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosa2 (Post 57958)
what exactly did they hand over, some ak47's, GPMG's (general purpose machine guns) and a few RPG's, to give you the scale of our military hardware, when the Ikeja blast happened (which was an abandoned munitions dump) the earth shook as far as lekki, the vibrations caused buildings to collapse, we give away our old munitions to other african states to help arm them, the only other african nation with a better equipped army is south africa.

You are kidding right? What happened to Egypt? Do you know the military capabilities of Algeria, Morocco? Where did you get your stats from? Just because we dash Benin Republic, Chad Republic & co munitions does not mean we are better equipped than a number of other african countries.

hispy99 7th October 2009 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosa2 (Post 57957)
The peaceful resolution of the militancy problem, the banking reforms, deregulation, reversal of the corrupt sale of some of our national assets to name a few, but most importantly is his policy for respecting the rule of law and the independence of the judiciary, and these are just the ones i can think off head, i know you were expecting roads, electricity, water etc but there's more to nation building than mega watts or kilometers

The jury is still out on the "peaceful resolution" of the ND crisis; what the ND regions needs is development. Simple. Develop the place and provide them jobs and there will be peace.

Using your criteria, I guess IBB deserves to be one of the best leaders we ever had then. During his time there was press freedom (at least he opened newspaper houses closed by Buhari), he liberalized the banking industry (banks were granted licenses right, left and centre), he initiated privatization and commercialization, he held one of the fairest elections in Nigeria's history, he even built the all important 3rd mainland bridge....and those are just the one I can think of off the top of my head.

In fact, you are the only one in Nigeria I know that says Mr rule of law is doing a good job. You must be seeing something a majority of Nigerians are not seeing.

iluvstocks 7th October 2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hispy99 (Post 57961)
The jury is still out on the "peaceful resolution" of the ND crisis; what the ND regions needs is development. Simple. Develop the place and provide them jobs and there will be peace.

Using your criteria, I guess IBB deserves to be one of the best leaders we ever had then. During his time there was press freedom (he opened newspapers houses closed by Buhari), he encouraged banking penetration (banks were granted licenses right, left and centre), he initiated privatization and commercialization, he held one of the fairest elections in Nigeria's history, he even built the all important 3rd mainland bridge....and those are just the one I can think of off the top of my head.

In fact, you are the only one in Nigeria I know that says Mr rule of law is doing a good job. You must be seeing something a majority of Nigerians are not seeing.

When it comes to the military I am usually extremely biased. nothing good came out of IBB and his gang. Press freedom? Two words Dele Giwa. Do not know if anything that diabolic has ever happened in any other african country; maybe the world. election? Fairest election that he himself rejected. My brother who was under the age limit at the time said he voted like 10 times in that election and it was widespread. Banking? I guess his financial guys were so great to negotiate the worst loan deals in the history of mankind. Thanks to Obasanjo, that mess got cleaned up. I think IBB and his armed robber friends destroyed that country.

hispy99 7th October 2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvstocks (Post 57962)
When it comes to the military I am usually extremely biased. nothing good came out of IBB and his gang. Press freedom? Two words Dele Giwa. Do not know if anything that diabolic has ever happened in any other african country; maybe the world. election? Fairest election that he himself rejected. My brother who was under the age limit at the time said he voted like 10 times in that election and it was widespread. Banking? I guess his financial guys were so great to negotiate the worst loan deals in the history of mankind. Thanks to Obasanjo, that mess got cleaned up. I think IBB and his armed robber friends destroyed that country.

I agree with you on that

c kenneths 7th October 2009 07:55 AM

IBB was the worst president we have (Yar Adua is the second worst) IBB is nothing but a skilled manipulator, talented deciever and scheming looter rolled into one. He saw huge opportunity to save this nation but failed to hand over to MKO, thereby forcing us into the hands of Abacha. He picked us up and drove us all round for 9 wasted years and left us where he picked us from. No changes, apart from his pocket that got fatter. Until he accounts for the oil windfall of the first gulf war, his character will continue to be shady.

Yar Adua have not achieved anything yet, I agree with Nosa2 that democracy dividends should not be limited by kilowatts and kilometres but by the 7 point agenda, so far he has failed to deliver even one point. I see a situation where he will fail in all seven points and still return in the second term, thats the anomaly we call a nation.

knightofdelta 7th October 2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosa2 (Post 57957)

fashola's brand is too yoruba for him to make it on a national scale, which is a shame cause he'll have made a brilliant president

Peaceful resolution of the militancy problem? Fashola's brand is too Yoruba?? I think you must be joking, right?

The ND crises is not over until we start seeing meaningful development in that area and I am not talking about giving some money to some people... I am talking about education, health, roads, electricity, water and eradication of corruption. No matter how many military personnel the Government wants to deploy, the next set of militants will be worse than we have ever seen in the history of ND militancy. For your information, some of the guys behind them that you don't see or even hear about are well educated and have the abilities to draft military tactics (including guerilla warfare). The anger is increasing everyday, from the Saro Wiwa killing to the deceit of the amnesty (if the FG fails to honor its promise). You don't want to see what will happen if the FG fails to deliver... trust me, I know.

Lagos state is the only state in Nigeria that you have non-indigenes (Igbos) amongst its law makers... the development drive that is happening in Lagos state does not have a Yoruba stamp on it.

migiets 7th October 2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightofdelta (Post 57976)
Peaceful resolution of the militancy problem? Fashola's brand is too Yoruba?? I think you must be joking, right?

The ND crises is not over until we start seeing meaningful development in that area and I am not talking about giving some money to some people... I am talking about education, health, roads, electricity, water and eradication of corruption. No matter how many military personnel the Government wants to deploy, the next set of militants will be worse than we have ever seen in the history of ND militancy. For your information, some of the guys behind them that you don't see or even hear about are well educated and have the abilities to draft military tactics (including guerilla warfare). The anger is increasing everyday, from the Saro Wiwa killing to the deceit of the amnesty (if the FG fails to honor its promise). You don't want to see what will happen if the FG fails to deliver... trust me, I know.

Lagos state is the only state in Nigeria that you have non-indigenes (Igbos) amongst its law makers... the development drive that is happening in Lagos state does not have a Yoruba stamp on it.

When i read through Nosa2 comments on the military option for the so-called militants, i just laugh. He thinks ND is the vast open desert where the military quickly crushed Boko Haram. A military that could not capture Tompolo and had to come out to say that he had fled to Ukraine thereby detaining an Ukranian ship that made an emergency landing in Kano while all this while Tompolo was holed in the ND. Initially the Govt. were thinking those guys were illiterates not knowing that most of them are well educated. I heard that Boyloaf is a Mechanical Engineering graduate. Henry Okah is a Marine Engineer and son of a retired Naval Commander. The Govt. must have known that it cannot win the fight unless they want to wipe out the entire ND which they cannot do. Even if you wipe out the entire ND, you will also destroy the pipelines and crude oil along with the wipe out. So, at the end of the day, what do you gain?. I do not really believe that those guys have submitted up to 20% of their ammunition. Iam sure a lot of pressure must have been put on Tompolo by the Elders of the region to accept the amnesty. That must have accounted for the last minute acceptance and his weeping during the process. All said, let us hope that the FG will use this opportunity and enormous goodwill from this amnesty deal to move the ND forward in terms of development unless it wants to listen to people who have never been to the ND but giving him advice from their air-conditioned offices to go for a military onslaught. Can the military police every village or every pipeline?. I do not think so. So, if they cannot, what stops a small boy from blowing up a pipeline passing through the back of his father's house?.

c kenneths 7th October 2009 12:48 PM

Two reports I heard this morning seems to suggest to me that this govt may be playing games with the militants. First the report that former militants yesterday went on rampage and comitted several acts of criminality on the streets of PH. Reason? The FG team that promised to pay their settlement money didnt turn up and the guys went beserk and robbed a few passers by.

Second the bill passed by the presiency to the house to approve the setting up of a coast guard outfit to provide security in the ND and provide security to oil vessels and installations. But I didnt hear anything about the projects the FG were supposed to start implementing immediately?

nosa2 7th October 2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hispy99 (Post 57960)
You are kidding right? What happened to Egypt? Do you know the military capabilities of Algeria, Morocco? Where did you get your stats from? Just because we dash Benin Republic, Chad Republic & co munitions does not mean we are better equipped than a number of other african countries.

my source is a retired military officer who has led Nigerian troops on several peace keeping missions, and at one time was the head at bonny camp, i had this conversation/argument/lecture with/from him this last saturday

nosa2 7th October 2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hispy99 (Post 57961)

Using your criteria, I guess IBB deserves to be one of the best leaders we ever had then. During his time there was press freedom (at least he opened newspaper houses closed by Buhari), he liberalized the banking industry (banks were granted licenses right, left and centre), he initiated privatization and commercialization, he held one of the fairest elections in Nigeria's history, he even built the all important 3rd mainland bridge....and those are just the one I can think of off the top of my head.

please enlighten me, what exactly would you have expected him to do given the resources available