Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > User Feeback, Suggestions, Comments > Off Topic

Off Topic Other topics not relevant to this website

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 6th December 2012, 09:48 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 42,227, Level: 100 Points: 42,227, Level: 100 Points: 42,227, Level: 100
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Groans: 18
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Food for Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salida View Post
Sir Horlads et al, It is always good to be on ground to witness the progress of developmental issues in the country vis-a-vis our discussions here and I must tell people I am not impressed. Call it corruption or wasteful spending, all I can say is that we need to do more!
In my opinion the worst thing that has happened to Nigeria is this Boko Haram menace.

Of course there were some positive developments I witnessed majorly in Abuja.
After a long sojourn outside Naija, I decided to take a vacation ride around Nigeria like an Investment biker (since Sir KOD and Wanaan$$$ could not accommodate me in their private jets). The only place excluded was Northern Nigeria.
Traveling with private jets and Arik Air definitely doesn't make some of our leaders and some discussants on SMN to come to terms with the situation in the country!

Let me give some key disheartening points I witnessed:

1. The Third mainland bridge in Lagos was recently renovated. A drive from the oven-baked MMA to Victoria Island was disheartening- No single street light was on!

2. The CCTV installations handled by ZTE in Abuja really looked obsolete and reports have it that they are not even functional.

3. Some of the major roads travelled are death traps (Of course some of the roads are wearing a better look)

4. No noticeable improvement in the Electric power situation (Could see several HT Power Transmission/Distribution towers already erected though which shows that some power projects are still ongoing)

...and many more. Interactions with people -Civil servants, Business moguls, Artisans, etc shows that there is really a disconnect in many areas with what is happening in Abuja and other areas in the country.

I have a feeling that the Coordinating Minister of Economy (CME) will not be able to handle the kind of politicking that will surface soon when the race towards 2015 starts and the 'boys' start the usual jamboree. She is already having it tough with the Oil marketers already. It's a war!
So you were in Abuja and you did not let me know...

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th December 2012, 09:52 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 42,227, Level: 100 Points: 42,227, Level: 100 Points: 42,227, Level: 100

knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel ewumi View Post
Even the global economy does not have 1 million people with a networth of 50 billion dollars.

Do we have the resources, infrastructure and technical know how that will enable our products to do well in the African market talk less of the global market.
Have you noticed that the list of billionaires is growing every year? Someone somewhere would have probably said that there cannot be more than 10 billionaires in the world about 300 years ago.

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th December 2012, 10:02 AM
Points: 16,620, Level: 82 Points: 16,620, Level: 82 Points: 16,620, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
emmanuel ewumi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
Have you noticed that the list of billionaires is growing every year? Someone somewhere would have probably said that there cannot be more than 10 billionaires in the world about 300 years ago.
The list is growing but we can not have 1 million people with 50 billion dollars networth in 20 years. What is the growth rate of our economy? What is the width and depth of our economy. Do you know that the capitalisation of our stock market is about 50 billion dollars, imagine having that in 1 million places.

An economy that will produce 1 million people with 50 billion dollars networth, should produce 4 million people with a networth of 10 billion dollars to 49 billion dollars, 6 million people with a networth of 1 billion dollars to 9 billion dollars, and more than 10 million people with a networth of 10 million dollars to 1 billion dollars.
In that case may be our per capita income will more than 20 million dollars.

It is good to dream big, but the dream should be achievable and realistic. May be this dream can be achieved in 20 years.

Last edited by emmanuel ewumi; 6th December 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:04 AM
Points: 10,670, Level: 68 Points: 10,670, Level: 68 Points: 10,670, Level: 68
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
horlads is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sir Horlads et al, It is always good to be on ground to witness the progress of developmental issues in the country vis-a-vis our discussions here and I must tell people I am not impressed. Call it corruption or wasteful spending, all I can say is that we need to do more!
Bro, forget that thing oh...I ply that 3rd mainland bridge everyday...sometimes, I av to do it by danfo bus...

You need a wilful power to fight corruption in this country...Iweala is trying her best and I like Sanusi's noise too...but my noise no go reach anywhere...so I'll rather not shout till I know I can be heard...all I can do now is to make a positive influence on people around me to see that corruption does no one good...but if it is to come to SMN or go to twitter and facebook and start ranting along with people like you whose voices cannot be captured even in PM News...count me out...

A hen that leaves her chicks unguarded should not complain when the predatory hawk comes calling - horlads
Old 6th December 2012, 10:11 AM

By the time we have 1 million people with a networth of 50 billion dollars in Nigeria, then 50 billion dollars would have lost its current value. This may happen in 20 to 50 years time, but not in the next 10 years.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:26 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
The list is growing but we can not have 1 million people with 50 billion dollars networth in 20 years. What is the growth rate of our economy? What is the width and depth of our economy. Do you know that the capitalisation of our stock market is about 50 billion dollars, imagine having that in 1 million places.

An economy that will produce 1 million people with 50 billion dollars networth, should produce 4 million people with a networth of 10 billion dollars to 49 billion dollars, 6 million people with a networth of 1 billion dollars to 9 billion dollars, and more than 10 million people with a networth of 10 million dollars to 1 billion dollars.
In that case may be our per capita income will more than 20 million dollars.

It is good to dream big, but the dream should be achievable and realistic. May be this dream can be achieved in 20 years.
Sir Emma, you are now changing the parameters of our discussion. There was no timeline attached to it initially. And yes, it is difficult, tough, but it is possible to have 1 million Nigerians with 50 billion dollar-networth in ten years.

Old 6th December 2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Sir Emma, you are now changing the parameters of our discussion. There was no timeline attached to it initially. And yes, it is difficult, tough, but it is possible to have 1 million Nigerians with 50 billion dollar-networth in ten years.
With God nothing is impossible, may be when we start growing our economy at 40% per annum for the next 20 years.

And it can never be achieved with our current Vision 2020, even though feelers from the Nigerian Economic Summit Group said this vision may not be achieved.

Last edited by emmanuel ewumi; 6th December 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:07 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 16,867, Level: 83 Points: 16,867, Level: 83 Points: 16,867, Level: 83
Activity: 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
waaan5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
In my opinion the worst thing that has happened to Nigeria is this Boko Haram menace.

Of course there were some positive developments I witnessed majorly in Abuja.
After a long sojourn outside Naija, I decided to take a vacation ride around Nigeria like an Investment biker (since Sir KOD and Wanaan$$$ could not accommodate me in their private jets). The only place excluded was Northern Nigeria.
Traveling with private jets and Arik Air definitely doesn't make some of our leaders and some discussants on SMN to come to terms with the situation in the country!

Let me give some key disheartening points I witnessed:

1. The Third mainland bridge in Lagos was recently renovated. A drive from the oven-baked MMA to Victoria Island was disheartening- No single street light was on!

2. The CCTV installations handled by ZTE in Abuja really looked obsolete and reports have it that they are not even functional.

3. Some of the major roads travelled are death traps (Of course some of the roads are wearing a better look)

4. No noticeable improvement in the Electric power situation (Could see several HT Power Transmission/Distribution towers already erected though which shows that some power projects are still ongoing)

...and many more. Interactions with people -Civil servants, Business moguls, Artisans, etc shows that there is really a disconnect in many areas with what is happening in Abuja and other areas in the country.

I have a feeling that the Coordinating Minister of Economy (CME) will not be able to handle the kind of politicking that will surface soon when the race towards 2015 starts and the 'boys' start the usual jamboree. She is already having it tough with the Oil marketers already. It's a war!
Bro no let those discourage you from 'landing back'. Naija is where the fun (and money) is now - seriously!
Old 6th December 2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaan5 View Post
Bro no let those discourage you from 'landing back'. Naija is where the fun (and money) is now - seriously!

I agree with you. I can do a lot better with a million pounds in Nigeria than in the United Kingdom. Although this is debatable.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:22 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 16,867, Level: 83 Points: 16,867, Level: 83 Points: 16,867, Level: 83
Activity: 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
waaan5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I agree with you. I can do a lot better with a million pounds in Nigeria than in the United Kingdom. Although this is debatable.
It is not debatable. You can appreciate an investment much more in Nigeria than in the OECD countries. Provided the investment is not in the 'under ground' economy. I have data to substantiate.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
It is not debatable. You can appreciate an investment much more in Nigeria than in the OECD countries. Provided the investment is not in the 'under ground' economy. I have data to substantiate.
Some people in the house will debate this. Nosa will rather invest his 20 million Naira in Europe than in Nigeria.
Old 6th December 2012, 02:38 PM
Points: 39,967, Level: 100 Points: 39,967, Level: 100 Points: 39,967, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Groans: 53
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2

Quote:
Some people in the house will debate this. Nosa will rather invest his 20 million Naira in Europe than in Nigeria.
You can't pay me enough to physically leave this country cause I think Nigeria is the most profitable place to do business globally but for my retirement investment Nigeria isn't stable enough for me.
Old 6th December 2012, 02:57 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosa2 View Post
You can't pay me enough to physically leave this country cause I think Nigeria is the most profitable place to do business globally but for my retirement investment Nigeria isn't stable enough for me.
If you have more than ten years before retirement, Nigeria is stable enough for you...

Old 6th December 2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
If you have more than ten years before retirement, Nigeria is stable enough for you...
Even if I have less than 10 years to retirement, i will still invested almost all my money in this country. This is not a matter of patriotism.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosa2 View Post

For you to visit this forum everyday, even sending posts very late at night and early in the morning shows that your heart, business and investment wise is in Nigeria.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Bro, make we forget this billionaire thing and talk better.
'What shall it benefit an man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul? Or what can one give in exchange for his soul"?

One of the best saying i have heard is 'you can not take it with you'!

So lets try to always work hard, play hard, love sincerely, and do good. Leave the rest to God.
That is why, I love and respect materially and financially blessed people, who have time for their children, wives, sports, party,social and religious activities, these make a complete or whole individual.

Last edited by emmanuel ewumi; 7th December 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:14 PM
Points: 15,428, Level: 80 Points: 15,428, Level: 80 Points: 15,428, Level: 80
Activity: 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

migiets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As for me, no matter the number of years i have before retirement, no where is safe for in this world. That is why iam keenly watching NASA and their Mars Curiosity Rover expedition. Once they discover life for there, iam off from this planet with my investment. Na from there i go dey post for SMN.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:17 PM
Points: 15,428, Level: 80 Points: 15,428, Level: 80 Points: 15,428, Level: 80
Activity: 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

migiets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That is why, I love and respect materially and financially blessed people, who have time for their children, wives, sports, party,social and religious activities, these make one a complete or whole individual.
You need to work hard first and become financially stable before you can have time for all these.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:28 PM
Points: 10,670, Level: 68 Points: 10,670, Level: 68 Points: 10,670, Level: 68
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
horlads is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by migiets View Post
As for me, no matter the number of years i have before retirement, no where is safe for in this world. That is why iam keenly watching NASA and their Mars Curiosity Rover expedition. Once they discover life for there, iam off from this planet with my investment. Na from there i go dey post for SMN.
*shocked* I don laff finish for hia....U wee be d first cave man in Mars...LMAO

A hen that leaves her chicks unguarded should not complain when the predatory hawk comes calling - horlads
Old 6th December 2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migiets View Post
You need to work hard first and become financially stable before you can have time for all these.

That is why, I love and respect materially and financially blessed people, who have time for their children, wives, sports, party,social and religious activities, these make one a complete or whole individual.

You definitely need to work before you are materially and financially blessed.