Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > User Feeback, Suggestions, Comments > Off Topic

Off Topic Other topics not relevant to this website

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10th January 2013, 04:20 PM
Points: 16,620, Level: 82 Points: 16,620, Level: 82 Points: 16,620, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
emmanuel ewumi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Food for Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by manemi View Post
Interesting. But this wont work in Naija. If your children believe you are rich and then see you laboring here they would think you are fool. They may even speed up your death so they will take and enjoy the money.
I think it depends on the type of value system inculcated into our children.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th January 2013, 04:23 PM
Points: 3,122, Level: 34 Points: 3,122, Level: 34 Points: 3,122, Level: 34

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
dr dowell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hispy99 View Post
The reason is English medical law is not exactly like Nigeria medical Law. Without full integration into the Law before practicing u can err against their law. (2) The population of India and Nigeria dr practicing there is much. I believe this partly will lead to increase in the fig. Situation may not be so in USA because U are fully integrated in their law before U can practice. Nigeria train dr are not as bad as they say.

Last edited by dr dowell; 10th January 2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: topographic error
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th January 2013, 04:23 PM

Anybody that attended UNILAG in the early 90s will know Professor Green Nwankwo. He is a Professor of Finance and a major player in the stock market. He was the Chairman of Union Bank and was on the board of several blue chip companies, yet he found time to teach his courses to under graduate and post graduate students.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/g...-institutions/

Last edited by emmanuel ewumi; 11th January 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10th January 2013, 05:28 PM
Points: 9,190, Level: 64 Points: 9,190, Level: 64 Points: 9,190, Level: 64
Activity: 37%
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
duduspace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dowell View Post
The reason is English medical law is not exactly like Nigeria medical Law. Without full integration into the Law before practicing u can err against their law. (2) The population of India and Nigeria dr practicing there is much. I believe this partly will lead to increase in the fig. Situation may not be so in USA because U are fully integrated in their law before U can practice. Nigeria train dr are not as bad as they say.
Totally on point, (even though I must say that our people misbehave too much as well.). Integration, population and language should also be factored in, India followed by Nigeria are the most populous English speaking countries with massive incentive for such professionals to migrate to the UK, it is no coincidence that they've also had the most occurences of misdemeanours.

Let us not make ourselves out to be what we are not and delve deeper when some of these statistics are touted. Its the interpretation of the data that matters when you're looking for cause and effect.
Every society has its 'black sheeps' and I doubt the relative quantities of such deviants vary much in each society.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:20 AM
Points: 43,037, Level: 100 Points: 43,037, Level: 100 Points: 43,037, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Salida is on a distinguished road

Why would anyone want to become a doctor? — The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper
Old 11th January 2013, 10:08 AM

To save lives.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:16 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 42,380, Level: 100 Points: 42,380, Level: 100 Points: 42,380, Level: 100
Activity: 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Groans: 18
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I cant deny that sometimes, I feel if I had not been a doctor life would have been much easier. I do not have to do calls. My sleep will not have to be interrupted by distress telephone calls. I do not have to leave my wife in a dash. I am condemned to have more than my own fair share of grieving, for every patient that dies in my unit is somehow connected to me. Gasp, and needle pricks!

But, I also shudder at what it would mean for patients if doctors walked away from medicine because of the frustrations. I still marvel at discovering the wonder of the human body. The honour of being trusted by my patient to give them advice, the gratitude the elderly ones especially show when helping them through their illness, their prayers and blessings. These things will remain unchanging. When I look at all these I still consider myself lucky and privileged to be placed to look after Gods creation.
Only a doctor can ever dream of truly understanding these paragraphs. Others can only try.

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
Old 11th January 2013, 12:58 PM
Points: 5,015, Level: 45 Points: 5,015, Level: 45 Points: 5,015, Level: 45

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
dr.abrahamb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
Only a doctor can ever dream of truly understanding these paragraphs. Others can only try.
True talk...I couldn't agree more. I called up Dr. Odoemina after going through that piece; just to thank him.

Doctors are really burning out faster than their peers because of undue stress and undue share of grief.

Some of the professors who taught me could not believe their kids refusal to read medicine.
Old 11th January 2013, 01:02 PM
Points: 5,015, Level: 45 Points: 5,015, Level: 45 Points: 5,015, Level: 45

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
dr.abrahamb is on a distinguished road

My friend here forgot to add that hungry kidnappers now look in the direction of life-savers who have forgotten how to have a life.
Old 11th January 2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abrahamb View Post
True talk...I couldn't agree more. I called up Dr. Odoemina after going through that piece; just to thank him.

Doctors are really burning out faster than their peers because of undue stress and undue share of grief.

Some of the professors who taught me could not believe their kids refusal to read medicine.

We have that in all professions. I know a couple who are highly successful engineers with considerable network in the industry, but non of their kids studied engineering. One studied economics and the other read law.

We have lawyers, accountants, architects etc whose children refused to follow their parents' career path.
Old 11th January 2013, 01:31 PM
Points: 3,609, Level: 37 Points: 3,609, Level: 37 Points: 3,609, Level: 37
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
goldsun2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abrahamb View Post

me and some of my colleagues used to say " its our most stubborn child who we want to punish that we'll send to medical school
Old 11th January 2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun2 View Post
me and some of my colleagues used to say " its our most stubborn child who we want to punish that we'll send to medical school
Why must you send him or her to medical school, let the child decide the course he or she thinks he has the aptitude and attitude for.

Last edited by emmanuel ewumi; 11th January 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11th January 2013, 02:07 PM

The news about a medical doctor who abandoned medicine to become an oil pipeline thief may have cast a pall on the prestige of what is supposed to be a noble profession. But a seeming loss of the prestige of medicine did not start today. You may have heard it before that many doctors regret reading medicine. For me, it was during my secondary school days. I had told a neighbour who was a doctor, who further endeared me to the profession, that I would want to read medicine, and I thought he would have been pleased. But I was taken aback when he said I should instead go into engineering or even banking like my dad. He said medicine was not worth the trouble. I felt his advice was suspicious. I also recall a visit to our family doctor then. When I told him my ambition, he said, Why medicine? Since I got into medical school I have not rested, even till now. In my young mind, I just concluded that some people would say anything to make sure others dont become like them.
Old 11th January 2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel ewumi View Post
The news about a medical doctor who abandoned medicine to become an oil pipeline thief may have cast a pall on the prestige of what is supposed to be a noble profession. But a seeming loss of the prestige of medicine did not start today. You may have heard it before that many doctors regret reading medicine. For me, it was during my secondary school days. I had told a neighbour who was a doctor, who further endeared me to the profession, that I would want to read medicine, and I thought he would have been pleased. But I was taken aback when he said I should instead go into engineering or even banking like my dad. He said medicine was not worth the trouble. I felt his advice was suspicious. I also recall a visit to our family doctor then. When I told him my ambition, he said, Why medicine? Since I got into medical school I have not rested, even till now. In my young mind, I just concluded that some people would say anything to make sure others dont become like them.

This doctor lacks the right values. The guy obviously became a doctor, because of the money he thought he would make.
He has no excuse whatsoever to be an oil pipeline thief.
Old 11th January 2013, 05:55 PM

Why would anyone want to become a doctor? — The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper

6 career myths you shouldn't fall for | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! India Finance
Old 21st January 2013, 09:02 AM
Points: 7,351, Level: 57 Points: 7,351, Level: 57 Points: 7,351, Level: 57
Activity: 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

overload is on a distinguished road

list of world's happiest and prosperous countries

Quote:
The World's Happiest Countries:

1. Norway
2. Denmark
3. Sweden
4. Australia
5. New Zealand
6. Canada
7. Finland
8. The Netherlands
9. Switzerland
10. Ireland
Its the scandinavians where Atheism is more like 70% and above that seems to be the ones doing well!

US no even make first 10 self
Old 21st January 2013, 10:00 AM
Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1

Rukayat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
I am not a doctor, but have a couple to close friends who are consultants in the profession, and they seem to have a different view. When I read the piece, I called up a friend and he said the profession is his life, he would not have imagined seeing himself doing something else. He enjoyed the distress calls - it pumps up adrenaline for action. When he is not on call, he is bored. The only sad part is the sentimental attachment to deaths, which he sees as one action that completes life's cycle.
Different strokes for different folks. Four of his kids are also in the medical profession.
Old 21st January 2013, 10:07 AM

US no even make first 10 self[/QUOTE]

Nigeria will make the list of world's happiest and most corrupt country
Old 21st January 2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel ewumi View Post
This doctor lacks the right values. The guy obviously became a doctor, because of the money he thought he would make.
He has no excuse whatsoever to be an oil pipeline thief.
The medical profession is not respected in this country. You just have to cave a nitch for yourself to succeed. The likes of St. Nicolas, Reddington etc have done so.
Old 21st January 2013, 10:38 AM
Points: 43,037, Level: 100 Points: 43,037, Level: 100 Points: 43,037, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Salida is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by overload View Post
list of world's happiest and prosperous countries

Its the scandinavians where Atheism is more like 70% and above that seems to be the ones doing well!

US no even make first 10 self
Hahahaha...I laugh!! Well it depends on what you call "happiness". The Scandinavian countries have one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Having the best living conditions in terms of infrastructure and business opportunities does not necessarily translate to happiness. With harsh winter conditions and dark winter days, this report must be a joke!! You need to see a typical Scandinavian demeanour during winter.