Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Nigerian Stocks > Other Stocks & Investment strategies

Other Stocks & Investment strategies Discuss other stocks

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 4th June 2012, 02:13 PM
Points: 9,961, Level: 66 Points: 9,961, Level: 66 Points: 9,961, Level: 66
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dicobody is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Starcomms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abrahamb View Post
Ogas, abeg I get one question to ask O. Am not trying to play the devil's advocate here, but what if starcomms had hit N70 after the PRIVATE OFFER or PUBLIC PLACEMENT, and made good returns to investors thereafter, would anyone have raised any eyebrows?

Be that as it may, the regulators of this market at the time this scam took place, and the issuing houses involved have to take the heat on this one. There should be no sacred cows here.

What about stockbrokers who advised so many to get on that ill-fated train? Were they not aware of the irregularities then? Or the market regulators and players were simply lawless then? And about the 'forbearance package' to brokers, why?

Investors, not brokers(middle-men) should be compensated. The losses brokers incurred was a taste of their own medicine. They knew most of the infractions going on, but decided to be opportunistic instead of crying out. They kept quiet, took advantage of the situation and made cool money. When the bubble finally went burst, they started asking for money to stimulate the market.

IMO, it is the investors who suffered losses, and have sworn never to return, that should be given 'severance package' here.
My oga,not just stockbrokers should b dealt with but also spiritual analyst(spiritual brokers)who predicted 4 SMNITE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th June 2012, 02:17 PM
Points: 8,548, Level: 62 Points: 8,548, Level: 62 Points: 8,548, Level: 62
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
baotoghile is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to baotoghile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicobody View Post
My oga,not just stockbrokers should b dealt with but also spiritual analyst(spiritual brokers)who predicted 4 SMNITE
ebi like say you sabi throw stones o ???
Old 4th June 2012, 02:47 PM
Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65
Activity: 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
duduspace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicobody View Post
This wan na true talk o, If Oga Utuocha nor dey put disclaimer for him discussions with the unseen ones, the Oga Patapata can attach an automatic one to all his prophecies.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th June 2012, 03:31 PM
Points: 7,559, Level: 58 Points: 7,559, Level: 58 Points: 7,559, Level: 58

Groans: 3
netotse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to netotse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropTrader View Post
Na wa! That's why its always good to take the advice in the propectus; consult your financial advisor...Also good to always read the risks of the investment as contained in the prospectus.
in this case it appears the so-called financial advisors were just as clueless o...
Old 4th June 2012, 04:22 PM
Points: 10,748, Level: 68 Points: 10,748, Level: 68 Points: 10,748, Level: 68
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
pegheneji is on a distinguished road

alot has been said on the starcomm, but it may be the proverbial 'Diamond in roughage' i am watching and waiting.
Old 4th June 2012, 04:24 PM
Points: 40,523, Level: 100 Points: 40,523, Level: 100 Points: 40,523, Level: 100
Activity: 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Groans: 53
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by netotse View Post
in this case it appears the so-called financial advisors were just as clueless o...
Financial advisers clueless on Starcomms? Most senior members on this site spotted this one as a ticking time-bomb.
The Following User Says Thank You to nosa2 For This Useful Post:
netotse (4th June 2012)
Old 4th June 2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosa2 View Post
Financial advisers clueless on Starcomms? Most senior members on this site spotted this one as a ticking time-bomb.
My bad, I wasn't aware of that as I wasn't visiting this site during that period. That said, I was referring to the whistleblowers et al, why didn't they flag the offer back then? why does it have to be during a legislative probe 4 years later that alarm is being raised?
Old 4th June 2012, 05:03 PM
Points: 11,643, Level: 70 Points: 11,643, Level: 70 Points: 11,643, Level: 70
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waves will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegheneji View Post
alot has been said on the starcomm, but it may be the proverbial 'Diamond in roughage' i am watching and waiting.
With the way the industry is going, this diamond can remain in the 'roughage' for a very long time. Were MTN shares listed on the NSE, they would have reached a plateau by now.
Old 4th June 2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves View Post
With the way the industry is going, this diamond can remain in the 'roughage' for a very long time. Were MTN shares listed on the NSE, they would have reached a plateau by now.
I'm with waves on this one, if we're to consider the companies business prospects, they aren't spectacular at all...Their cellular and data customers are being poached on a daily basis, I can't remember the last time I saw a starcomms modem, notwithstanding their unlimited data cap.

unless of course they start importing fuel
Old 5th June 2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves View Post

Quote:
I'm with waves on this one, if we're to consider the companies business prospects, they aren't spectacular at all...Their cellular and data customers are being poached on a daily basis, I can't remember the last time I saw a starcomms modem, notwithstanding their unlimited data cap.

unless of course they start importing fuel
curruntly, i wont touch Starcomm with a long pole and i have never bought their stock because i see the CDMA system where a phone is tied to a network as a huge disadvantage in an environment where we like 'second hand everything' it means i cannot use the phone an uncle who has upgraded his status gave to me because we are not on same network.

However, the number portibility which will start any moment from now will increase the profit line of the CDMA because the QoS/pricing of CDMA is much better than that of GSM in 9ja and i may just switch from celtel to starcom. Also, i think the 3G phones known as Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) { i do not know the details yet} will remove all the limiting barier of CDMA and this is why i hate the 50k rule. the current situation is enough to drive starcomm to 5kwhile a good implimentation of the number portibility will improve the bottom line of CDMAs
Old 5th June 2012, 11:38 AM
Points: 40,523, Level: 100 Points: 40,523, Level: 100 Points: 40,523, Level: 100
Activity: 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Groans: 53
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2

Quote:

curruntly, i wont touch Starcomm with a long pole and i have never bought their stock because i see the CDMA system where a phone is tied to a network as a huge disadvantage in an environment where we like 'second hand everything' it means i cannot use the phone an uncle who has upgraded his status gave to me because we are not on same network.

However, the number portibility which will start any moment from now will increase the profit line of the CDMA because the QoS/pricing of CDMA is much better than that of GSM in 9ja and i may just switch from celtel to starcom. Also, i think the 3G phones known as Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) { i do not know the details yet} will remove all the limiting barier of CDMA and this is why i hate the 50k rule. the current situation is enough to drive starcomm to 5kwhile a good implimentation of the number portibility will improve the bottom line of CDMAs
Hmm… interesting take… you might just be onto something here but can Starcomms live long enough to see the take off of number portability? These guys are bleeding cash and I don't think they have enough blood to carry them till year end.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:27 PM
Points: 9,240, Level: 64 Points: 9,240, Level: 64 Points: 9,240, Level: 64
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Babs_O will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Go to the start of this thread. It was not seen as a ticking time-bomb back then at the time of PP.
The standard of living of any society is based on the goods and services available therein. The result of business ventures. My prayer is for God's mercy to save us from the hands of Nigerians who come to leadership positions to set the country backwards.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:

@Pegheneji
Firstly, apologies for boring you...

A 3G phone uses an entirely different frequency from a CDMA phone so you cant use the same phone, I'm not clear on how they intend to do the interconnection between the CDMA and UMTS networks and it's totally out of my field(AKA I get a headache when I try to understand).

GSM evolved to 3G then to UMTS which uses W-CDMA (it is different from CDMA o!) and CDMA networks evolved EV-DO and then to LTE, it had me confused until a telecomms guy explained it to me.

Last edited by netotse; 5th June 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 5th June 2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Hmm… interesting take… you might just be onto something here but can Starcomms live long enough to see the take off of number portability? These guys are bleeding cash and I don't think they have enough blood to carry them till year end.
Quote:
@Pegheneji
Firstly, apologies for boring you...

A 3G phone uses an entirely different frequency from a CDMA phone so you cant use the same phone, I'm not clear on how they intend to do the interconnection between the CDMA and UMTS networks and it's totally out of my field(AKA I get a headache when I try to understand).

GSM evolved to 3G then to UMTS which uses W-CDMA (it is different from CDMA o!) and CDMA networks evolved EV-DO and then to LTE, it had me confused until a telecomms guy explained it to me.
anyway, starcomm na bad product, just got my curiosity arrosed when NCC still insisted that they will start the number portibility this month (June 2012) and that we can port from a gsm to cdma. lets wait for its implementation and see if something good can come from Galilee.

Last edited by pegheneji; 5th June 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 5th June 2012, 02:27 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 42,798, Level: 100 Points: 42,798, Level: 100 Points: 42,798, Level: 100
Activity: 47%
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Groans: 18
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs_O View Post
Go to the start of this thread. It was not seen as a ticking time-bomb back then at the time of PP.
Go to Page 8, some people saw it...

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
Old 18th June 2012, 05:44 PM
Points: 43,848, Level: 100 Points: 43,848, Level: 100 Points: 43,848, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Salida is on a distinguished road

Starcomms reduces on-net call rate tariffs for two weeks
Old 20th June 2012, 12:10 PM
Points: 5,882, Level: 49 Points: 5,882, Level: 49 Points: 5,882, Level: 49

Groans: 4
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
MalamImam is on a distinguished road

Starcomms Chairman detained overnight, released by the EFCC - Proshare
Old 4th July 2012, 04:10 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 27,735, Level: 98 Points: 27,735, Level: 98 Points: 27,735, Level: 98
Activity: 54%
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%

Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Oracle is on a distinguished road

Guys, how true is this gist that I heard some weeks ago: Orange in talk with Starcomms?

Any link or more info?
Old 4th July 2012, 05:40 PM
Points: 3,125, Level: 34 Points: 3,125, Level: 34 Points: 3,125, Level: 34
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Guys, how true is this gist that I heard some weeks ago: Orange in talk with Starcomms?

Any link or more info?
20 million units sold today could be a clue.
Old 14th August 2012, 02:13 AM
Points: 5,882, Level: 49 Points: 5,882, Level: 49 Points: 5,882, Level: 49

Groans: 4
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
MalamImam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felz View Post
20 million units sold today could be a clue.
CDMA operators to seal new 0m business revival deal