Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Financial products and resources > Personal Finance/ Financial Planning

Personal Finance/ Financial Planning Chat on Financial planning, Debt, Loans, Personal Expenses, Pension etc

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 26th March 2014, 06:47 AM
Points: 14,716, Level: 78 Points: 14,716, Level: 78 Points: 14,716, Level: 78
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Waves will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Economicwatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves View Post
http://www.cenbank.org/Out/2014/MPD/...rch%202014.pdf

So 4 members actually wanted to increase MPR.
Obviously, a lot of these analyst did not even bother to read or fully listen to Alade's statement. If I can forgive Akin Dawodu because he was already in CNBC studio when the statement was issued, Razia, who I had an argument with on Twitter, did not show she understood Alade's statement.

I guess politics may have played a part in MPC's decision not to even consider shifting the FX band.
Old 26th March 2014, 07:05 AM
Points: 51,569, Level: 100 Points: 51,569, Level: 100 Points: 51,569, Level: 100
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Salida is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Obviously, a lot of these analyst did not even bother to read or fully listen to Alade's statement. If I can forgive Akin Dawodu because he was already in CNBC studio when the statement was issued, Razia, who I had an argument with on Twitter, did not show she understood Alade's statement.

I guess politics may have played a part in MPC's decision not to even consider shifting the FX band.

Sir Waves, Economics has a "political face" and as far as Naira devaluation or shifting of the FX band is concerned, it is just a matter of postponing evil days.
Old 26th March 2014, 08:56 AM
Points: 10,751, Level: 68 Points: 10,751, Level: 68 Points: 10,751, Level: 68
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
manemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salida View Post
Sir Waves, Economics has a "political face" and as far as Naira devaluation or shifting of the FX band is concerned, it is just a matter of postponing evil days.
The Americans call this "Kicking the Can Down the Road"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th March 2014, 11:05 AM
Points: 4,465, Level: 42 Points: 4,465, Level: 42 Points: 4,465, Level: 42

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
egoigwe is on a distinguished road

Dangote in new bid for Shell asset - Proshare
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th March 2014, 04:10 PM
Points: 19,382, Level: 88 Points: 19,382, Level: 88 Points: 19,382, Level: 88

Groans: 3
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
emmanuel ewumi is on a distinguished road

MPC meeting: Key decisions and Thoughts - Cordros - Proshare

The MPC met on March 24 and 25, 2014 to consider the future path of monetary policy in an environment of increased risks and uncertainties.

Final Decision of the meeting

• Private sector cash reserve ratio (CRR) increased from 12% to 15%.

• The Monetary policy rate (MPR) and corridor were left unchanged at 12%±200bps.

• Public sector cash reserve ratio (CRR) retained at 75%.
Old 26th March 2014, 04:38 PM
Points: 6,054, Level: 50 Points: 6,054, Level: 50 Points: 6,054, Level: 50

hustler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salida View Post
Yes Oga Salida we are just postponing the inevitable.

Well I have accumulated some $$ since last year for some speculation this year. The gradual fall in FX reserves last year showed me earlier signs that the naira will soon start coming under pressure.

With this year been a campaign year and with all the QE tapering going on,the only way for the naira to go might just be down. I am just waiting to convert at the right price and plough back into the market hopefully by the second half of the year.
Old 26th March 2014, 05:56 PM
Points: 4,046, Level: 40 Points: 4,046, Level: 40 Points: 4,046, Level: 40
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Django is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Yes Oga Salida we are just postponing the inevitable.

Well I have accumulated some $$ since last year for some speculation this year. The gradual fall in FX reserves last year showed me earlier signs that the naira will soon start coming under pressure.

With this year been a campaign year and with all the QE tapering going on,the only way for the naira to go might just be down. I am just waiting to convert at the right price and plough back into the market hopefully by the second half of the year.
The worry is that virtually everyone has taken the position that the Naira would fall near-term and they've been hoarding $ as a result, the big question is who would they sell the $ to profitably when everyone is headed in a certain direction, huh?

Don't forget we still have the politicians' hoarded $$$ war chest incl. "allegedly" missing $20b money waiting to hit the system, once the political campaign kicks in full-blown... Historically, election spending has always been unfavourable to $...

Hey, just my 2k observation!
Old 26th March 2014, 07:16 PM
Points: 53,096, Level: 100 Points: 53,096, Level: 100 Points: 53,096, Level: 100

Groans: 58
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
The worry is that virtually everyone has taken the position that the Naira would fall near-term and they've been hoarding $ as a result, the big question is who would they sell the $ to profitably when everyone is headed in a certain direction, huh?

Don't forget we still have the politicians' hoarded $$$ war chest incl. "allegedly" missing $20b money waiting to hit the system, once the political campaign kicks in full-blown... Historically, election spending has always been unfavourable to $...

Hey, just my 2k observation!
Interesting take
Old 26th March 2014, 09:24 PM

I watched the confirmation hearing of the CBN Governor nominee, Godwin Emeliefe today. My conclusion is that he is the wrong man for the job. Godwin is simply a banker with very limited understanding of Economics. Several times the Senators asked him questions on Political Economics and he could not provide satisfactory answers. At least 5 Senators kept on returning him to the question on Nigeria's Jobless GDP growth and he neither showed an understanding of the issue talk less of providing answers. Even on the question of the wide spread between deposit rates and lending rates, the man provided very shallow answers.

My conclusion is that Godwin, like most other Zenith Bankers I know, is very shallow. I used to think Adoara's lack of depth was an exception but I now believe otherwise. I don't believe we have the best man for the job

On outlook for Monetary policy under Godwin, I think it is better to look to other MPC members or the govt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waves For This Useful Post:
hispy99 (26th March 2014), nosa2 (27th March 2014)
Old 27th March 2014, 01:26 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 100,651, Level: 100 Points: 100,651, Level: 100 Points: 100,651, Level: 100

Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice

Naira holds firm against dollar after CBN tightens liquidity | BusinessDay
Old 27th March 2014, 06:18 AM
Points: 51,569, Level: 100 Points: 51,569, Level: 100 Points: 51,569, Level: 100
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Salida is on a distinguished road

Chinese slowdown a net negative for Nigeria says O’Neill | BusinessDay
Old 27th March 2014, 08:28 AM
Points: 10,751, Level: 68 Points: 10,751, Level: 68 Points: 10,751, Level: 68

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
manemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I watched the confirmation hearing of the CBN Governor nominee, Godwin Emeliefe today. My conclusion is that he is the wrong man for the job. Godwin is simply a banker with very limited understanding of Economics. Several times the Senators asked him questions on Political Economics and he could not provide satisfactory answers. At least 5 Senators kept on returning him to the question on Nigeria's Jobless GDP growth and he neither showed an understanding of the issue talk less of providing answers. Even on the question of the wide spread between deposit rates and lending rates, the man provided very shallow answers.

My conclusion is that Godwin, like most other Zenith Bankers I know, is very shallow. I used to think Adoara's lack of depth was an exception but I now believe otherwise. I don't believe we have the best man for the job

On outlook for Monetary policy under Godwin, I think it is better to look to other MPC members or the govt.
As they say ... "be careful what you wish for..."
Old 27th March 2014, 08:57 AM
Points: 5,705, Level: 48 Points: 5,705, Level: 48 Points: 5,705, Level: 48
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
laso is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I dont want to believe that Godwin performance yesterday at d senate has anything to do with his background as a banker.you dont have to b an economist to answer some of d questions put to him. I also watched d screening and i was highly disappointed. It was like he did not understand most of d questions.
Old 27th March 2014, 10:00 AM
Points: 27,487, Level: 98 Points: 27,487, Level: 98 Points: 27,487, Level: 98
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

migiets is on a distinguished road

Quote:

There is always this argument about whether an economics or a banker should be made the CBN governor. When Soludo, an economics was made the CBN governor, many bankers kicked against it saying that he was not a banker. Some of them even went to the extent of saying that he does not know what a Letter of Credit (LC) is or how it is processed and that why should such a person be made a CBN governor.

So, the question now is: 'Who should be a CBN governor, a Banker or an Economics'?.

This is not to pull down Nigerian Bankers. Most of them are not really up there because banking in Nigeria is not really banking.
The Following User Says Thank You to migiets For This Useful Post:
Salida (30th March 2014)
Old 27th March 2014, 10:28 AM
Points: 16,020, Level: 81 Points: 16,020, Level: 81 Points: 16,020, Level: 81

citizen will become famous soon enough

China's Credit Pipeline Slams Shut: Companies Scramble For The Last Drops Of Liquidity | Zero Hedge

Which brings us to today, when we find that China's credit formation, until now proceeding at a breakneck speed, has suddenly ground to a halt. Reuters explains:

Some of China's struggling firms are finally getting the reception that regulators have been hoping for - a cold shoulder from banks in the form of smaller and costlier loans.

Reuters has contacted over 80 companies with elevated debt ratios or problems with overcapacity. Interviews with 15 that agreed to discuss their funding showed that more discriminate lending, long a missing ingredient of China's economic transformation, has become a reality.

Up against a cooling Chinese economy and signs that authorities will not step in every time a loan goes bad, banks are becoming more hard-nosed and selective about whom they lend to.
Old 27th March 2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migiets View Post
There is always this argument about whether an economics or a banker should be made the CBN governor. When Soludo, an economics was made the CBN governor, many bankers kicked against it saying that he was not a banker. Some of them even went to the extent of saying that he does not know what a Letter of Credit (LC) is or how it is processed and that why should such a person be made a CBN governor.

So, the question now is: 'Who should be a CBN governor, a Banker or an Economics'?.

This is not to pull down Nigerian Bankers. Most of them are not really up there because banking in Nigeria is not really banking.
What has a CBN Governor got to do with mundane issues like LCs?

It will continue to be difficult to find sound Economists in Banks to appoint as CBN Governors partly because of the way banking is done and how bankers work in Nigeria. Sometimes, you don't have to have a degree in Economists to understand Economics.

With the current situation, I will suggest that the government

1) Separate Banking supervision from CBN and create an FSA type of organizations. Bankers should head the new organization while Economist in or out of banks head CBN

2) Create a succession pool amongst Deputy Governors by appointing Economist from other field (There was no point appointing that FBN CFO as DG)

3) Create another succession pool through MPC members by appoint sound Economist that could be appointed Governors as members. For instance, even now Jonathan could have considered Dr Doyin Salami or Professor Garba (both MPC members from LBS and ABU respectively).

I don't know what input NOI had in this appointment. But if she did, I will be disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Waves For This Useful Post:
Salida (30th March 2014)
Old 27th March 2014, 10:39 AM
Points: 11,614, Level: 70 Points: 11,614, Level: 70 Points: 11,614, Level: 70
Activity: 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
oyo is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I agree with you on this one, for once.
Old 27th March 2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
What has a CBN Governor got to do with mundane issues like LCs?

It will continue to be difficult to find sound Economists in Banks to appoint as CBN Governors partly because of the way banking is done and how bankers work in Nigeria. Sometimes, you don't have to have a degree in Economists to understand Economics.

With the current situation, I will suggest that the government

1) Separate Banking supervision from CBN and create an FSA type of organizations. Bankers should head the new organization while Economist in or out of banks head CBN

2) Create a succession pool amongst Deputy Governors by appointing Economist from other field (There was no point appointing that FBN CFO as DG)

3) Create another succession pool through MPC members by appoint sound Economist that could be appointed Governors as members. For instance, even now Jonathan could have considered Dr Doyin Salami or Professor Garba (both MPC members from LBS and ABU respectively).

I don't know what input NOI had in this appointment. But if she did, I will be disappointed.
That was the same question i was asking the bankers at that time when the statement was made.
Old 27th March 2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyo View Post
I agree with you on this one, for once.
Chei, Youth Oyo, you mean you do not always agree with me?.

Anyway, no wahala. Iam a practical person and not a 'noise maker'. I believe in practicability and not theories.
Old 27th March 2014, 11:15 AM
Points: 5,577, Level: 48 Points: 5,577, Level: 48 Points: 5,577, Level: 48

dupeodus is on a distinguished road

Quote:

There is no debate regarding the training and skills required of a central bank governor. Look around the world and see the training and skills of central bank governors in developed economies. The trouble is that we see the role of CBN primarily as banking supervision. Under SLS, this extended to an unprecedented intrusion into the management of banks. In my opinion, the CBN became and is still a rule making power drunk instead of a manager of the monetary policy aspect of the economy. In my view, the banking supervision function should be removed from CBN and placed with NDIC. That way, CBN governors will not only be free from the distraction of banking supervision, they and Nigerians will realize that their role is to focus primarily on monetary policy.
The Following User Says Thank You to dupeodus For This Useful Post:
Salida (30th March 2014)