Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Financial products and resources > Personal Finance/ Financial Planning

Personal Finance/ Financial Planning Chat on Financial planning, Debt, Loans, Personal Expenses, Pension etc

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11th June 2014, 03:49 AM
Points: 8,299, Level: 61 Points: 8,299, Level: 61 Points: 8,299, Level: 61
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
PETERICHY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Books etc.

Jack Ma: If you’re still poor at 35, you deserve it! You are poor because you have no ambition.Jack Ma: Before I founded Alibaba, I invited 24 friends to my house to discuss the business opportunity. After discussing for a full two hours, they were still confused — I have to say that I may not have put myself across in a clear manner manner then. The verdict: 23 out of the 24 people in the room told me to drop the idea, for a multitude of reasons, such as: ‘you do not know anything about the internet, and more prominently, you do not have the start-up capital for this’ etc etc.There was only one friend (who was working in a bank then) who told me,“If you want to do it, just try it. If things don’t work out the way you expected it to, you can always revert back to what you were doing before.”I pondered upon this for one night, and by the next morning, I decided I would do it anyway, even if all of the 24 people opposed the idea.When I first started Alibaba, I was immediately met with strong opposition from family and friends. Looking back, I realised that the biggest driving force for me then was not my confidence in the Internet and the potential it held, butmore of this: ”No matter what one does, regardless of failure or success,the experience is a form of success in itself.” You have got to keep trying, and if it doesn’t work, you always can revert back to what you were doing before. As with this quote by T.E. Lawrence –“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible.”Jack Ma: People lose out in life because of these 4 reasons:Being myopic to opportunity Lookingdown on opportunities Lacking understanding Failing to act quickly enoughYou are poor, because you have no ambition.Ambition is living a life of great ideals; a magnificent goal in life that must be realised.In this world, there are things that are deemed unfathomable, but there is nothing in this world that cannot be done. The depth of one’s ambitiondetermines the potential of one’ future.The Story of Juliet Wu Shihong – oneof China’s first-generation professional managers, who gained success by working her way up the ranks from a cleaner, a nurse, a marketing executive, through self-education and learning on the job.She had been the general manager for the world’s most famous multinational IT groups’ Chinese branches (Microsoft 1985-1998; IBM 1998-1999). She is also China’s first successful international corporate executive to join the executive team of a domestic private firm. Wu was seen as a symbol of the new generation of business executives that China has produced in its economic reform and opening-up.When Wu started off in a big company working from the lowest ranks, her daily job was to pour tea and sweep floors. Once, because she forgot her staff pass, the company’s guard stopped her at the door and denied her entry. She explained to the guard that she was indeed one ofthe company’s employees, and that she had merely left the building for ashort while to purchase office supplies.Despite her pleas, the guard still did not allow to enter. As she stood at the gate, she watched as those of similar age to her, but smartly dressed in business attire walking through without having to show theirpasses.She asked the guard, “Why are these people allowed through without producing a pass?” The guard dismissed her coldly nonetheless.That was the turning point for Wu – she felt great shame, her self-esteem trampled on.She looked at herself, dressed in shabby clothes and pushing a dirty push cart. Looking back at those dressed in smart attire, her heart felta deep ache from the sudden realization of the sorrow and grief from being discriminated. From that moment, she vowed never to allow herself to be shamed like this again, and to become world-famous.Since then, she used every opportunity to enrich herself. Every day, she was the first to arrive at work, and the last one to leave. She made every second count, spending her time learning the ropes. Her efforts soon paid off; she was made asales representative, and quickly progressed to being the regional general manager of this multinational company in China. Wu did not possess strong academic qualifications, and was revered as the‘Queen of Part-timers’. Subsequently,she assumed the position of GM of IBM China. This is the Wu Shihong, the heroine in China’s business circle.If not for the incident, Wu Shihong would not have had the ambition to become rich, and her life would have taken a very different path then.You are poor because you do not have the desire to become successful.You are poor because you lack foresight.You are poor because you cannot overcome your cowardice.You are poor because you lack the courage and determination.With ambition you can overcome all inferiority and maximise your potential!With ambition you can persevere, continuously learn new things and strive for perfection.With ambition you can defy all odds, and create miracles when others daren’t.No matter how poor your family is, do not doubt your own abilities and lose sight of your ambition.When your family deems you worthless, no one will pity you.When your parents do not have money to pay the medical bills, no one will pity you.When you are beaten by your competitors, no one will pity you.When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.The article is originally published in Chinese, and is translated into English. If you think this was helpful, feel free to share it with your friends.About Jack Ma: Jack Ma is a Chinese Internet entrepreneur. He is the Executive Chairman of Alibaba Group, a family of highly successful Internet-based businesses. He is alsothe first mainland Chinese entrepreneur to appear on the cover of Forbes Magazine and ranks as one of the world’s billionaires.Ma was named the Financial Times’ 2013 Person of the Year because he personifies the Chinese internet, referring to him as the “godfather of China’s scrappy entrepreneurial spirit.”.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PETERICHY For This Useful Post:
olire96 (22nd June 2014), sola12 (10th July 2014), Vincenta11 (11th June 2014)
Old 16th July 2014, 05:23 PM
Points: 21,793, Level: 92 Points: 21,793, Level: 92 Points: 21,793, Level: 92

Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Picolena66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picolena66 View Post
Good Morning All Oga at the Top!!!

Please I need your Urgent Assistance.................I need a good book on the Hausa Language & Culture

I attended a Business meeting recently, and foolishly did not go prepared................something that gives me Learner and Intermedairy levels

Your assistance would be trully appreciated
Hmmmm...................wow so no Oga at the Top assisted me in finding the book I requested.............And then they Go begin talk say we be Family abi!!!

O well they do say - If you want something Done well............Do it yourself

On my travels I found the following

The Hausa Language - by Paul Newman Yale University Press
Old 16th July 2014, 05:38 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 32,484, Level: 100 Points: 32,484, Level: 100 Points: 32,484, Level: 100
Activity: 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Groaned at 19 Times in 19 Posts
Oracle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picolena66 View Post
Hmmmm...................wow so no Oga at the Top assisted me in finding the book I requested.............And then they Go begin talk say we be Family abi!!!

O well they do say - If you want something Done well............Do it yourself

On my travels I found the following

The Hausa Language - by Paul Newman Yale University Press
I think some Ogas that we know that speak hausa language can assist: Oga Waves, Oga Manemi and Oga faithgonuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oracle For This Useful Post:
Picolena66 (16th July 2014)
Old 16th July 2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I think some Ogas that we know that speak hausa language can assist: Oga Waves, Oga Manemi and Oga faithgonuel.
Hmmm.............Cheers oracle

I have already sorted it

Regards
Old 4th October 2014, 11:40 AM
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
coolone is on a distinguished road

#throwback: UNFAIR advantage- Robert T. Kiyosaki

STA-EMTI: BOOKS: UNFAIR ADVANTAGE- ROBERT KIYOSAKI

"The Level-5 investor , a capitalist is skilled as a business owner. It is easy for them to raise money as success attracts money. It is easy for a level-5 investor to take business public via selling shares of the business on the stock market. The story of Facebook is a modern example of how easy it is to raise capital for a level-5 investor. They belong to the B-quadrant.

In summary Level-5 investors get their money from Level-2 and Level-3 investors who save their money in banks and pension plans."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd November 2014, 07:01 PM
Points: 51,569, Level: 100 Points: 51,569, Level: 100 Points: 51,569, Level: 100
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Salida is on a distinguished road

10 Books Every Entrepreneur Should Read Before Starting Up (Infographic) | Inc.com
Old 2nd December 2014, 03:55 AM
Points: 51,569, Level: 100 Points: 51,569, Level: 100 Points: 51,569, Level: 100

How Kayode Made ED at Goldman Sachs at Just 29 Years of Age.... - Proshare
Old 2nd December 2014, 06:32 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 100,651, Level: 100 Points: 100,651, Level: 100 Points: 100,651, Level: 100

Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice

who is he?
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:25 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 46,297, Level: 100 Points: 46,297, Level: 100 Points: 46,297, Level: 100
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groans: 18
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hispy99 View Post
who is he?
Google Kayode Fahm... He is a personal friend.

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hispy99 View Post
who is he?
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdelta View Post
Google Kayode Fahm... He is a personal friend.
The focus is not on the name mentioned in the headline but the value that the book mentioned in the content can add.
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:51 AM
Points: 19,382, Level: 88 Points: 19,382, Level: 88 Points: 19,382, Level: 88

Groans: 3
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
emmanuel ewumi is on a distinguished road

The guy is now about 50 years, I guess he became an ED when he was 29.

Ventures Africa | Kayode Fahm: Jack Of All Trades, Master of All
Old 6th June 2015, 02:49 PM
Points: 6,132, Level: 50 Points: 6,132, Level: 50 Points: 6,132, Level: 50
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
babe! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Seth Klarman
thanks

Last edited by babe!; 6th June 2015 at 03:11 PM. Reason: problem solved from the dark side of the net.
Old 13th June 2015, 08:42 AM
Points: 11,942, Level: 71 Points: 11,942, Level: 71 Points: 11,942, Level: 71

Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
manemi is on a distinguished road

These Are Wall Street's Must-Read Books of the Summer - Bloomberg Business
Old 27th September 2015, 02:54 PM
Points: 53,190, Level: 100 Points: 53,190, Level: 100 Points: 53,190, Level: 100

Groans: 58
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2

I'm looking for a good book on marketing a product in a developing country. Can anyone recommend any good ones.

I'm specifically looking for something that helps me develop a marketing strategy.

Abeg make una help una boy
Old 27th September 2015, 05:57 PM
Points: 5,643, Level: 48 Points: 5,643, Level: 48 Points: 5,643, Level: 48

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
gbengus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosa2 View Post
I'm looking for a good book on marketing a product in a developing country. Can anyone recommend any good ones.

I'm specifically looking for something that helps me develop a marketing strategy.

Abeg make una help una boy
Nosa2, one article i would recommend is Marketing Myopia by Theodore Levitt and as we are dealing with people Extraordinary Popular Delusion and the madness of crowds by Charles Mackay both are very old but they still applies to the modern age.
The Following User Says Thank You to gbengus For This Useful Post:
nosa2 (28th September 2015)
Old 19th October 2015, 07:42 PM
Points: 3,488, Level: 36 Points: 3,488, Level: 36 Points: 3,488, Level: 36
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Getthere is on a distinguished road

Who remembers that we still have this thread. I gained a lot of insight from it,when i joined this forumn.

I remember then ,any time any one comes to SMN to ask for stocks to buy or stock recommendation, the person will be referred to the books section to go an get knowledge first
Old 8th November 2015, 04:58 AM

The 25 Rules of Disinformation
Old 1st March 2016, 01:19 PM

The 18 Books That Investors Will Be Reading Over Spring Break - Bloomberg Business

Hmmm............Oya Book Worm Specialist and To All those that love Knowledge......Happy Investing
Old 30th June 2016, 12:50 PM

Nigeria's Elechi Amadi, author of The Concubine, dies - BBC News