Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Financial products and resources > Personal Finance/ Financial Planning

Personal Finance/ Financial Planning Chat on Financial planning, Debt, Loans, Personal Expenses, Pension etc

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 26th May 2007, 05:07 AM
Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miss_Risky is on a distinguished road
Post Books etc.

What financial or self development book(s) are you reading or have you read lately that made such an impact you just can't keep it to yourself? Who is the author and what is it about in a nutshell? Discuss...

I'll start by mentioning that I'm currently reading Rich Dad's Guide to Investing by Robert Kiyosaki. I've only just started reading it but the book is unputdownable. Although there's a bit of waffling and repetition in places, it 'reveals' what the rich are investing in that the poor and middle class do not have access to. You'll be glad to know that on that list are Private Placements and IPOs so some of us are already investing like the rich! Others are syndicated real estate, mergers and acquisitions, hedge funds, startup funding etc.

I'll probably have more to say when I'm done with the book. It's definitely a thumbs up for this one. I'll also recommend Rich Dad, Poor Dad which I believe is the first in the RDPD series.

Last edited by Miss_Risky; 26th May 2007 at 05:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th May 2007, 10:14 AM
Points: 4,486, Level: 42 Points: 4,486, Level: 42 Points: 4,486, Level: 42

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
paragon is on a distinguished road

thanks miss Risky for bringing up such a topic.Well as for me, i am a product of books. The whole idea is that what it took years for people to discover, you learn, apply and get results in say a couple of weeks.

One of the best books i have ever read is "Your Roadmap for Success" by John Maxwell.
Old 26th May 2007, 04:41 PM
Points: 8,382, Level: 61 Points: 8,382, Level: 61 Points: 8,382, Level: 61
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
dotunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dotunk Send a message via Skype™ to dotunk

miss_risky!

nice thread!

i would also say nice book. i read that book about 4years ago and i have never been the same. actually the first book i ever read was "think and grow rich". it fired me up. i recomend everyone should read this book before anyother book. its like the book of basics before you go complex.

the next book should be "Rich dad Poor Dad"... i recomend this book for professionals especially doctors, nurses, engineers and anybody who think going to school and gtting high grades will get them anywhere.

cashflow quadrant is next... look at which quadrant you belong and and see if you can move to the next level

then comes to the book you are reading now... "Rich Dad's Guide to Investing by Robert Kiyosaki" this is a lovely book. taught me a lot.

there are many books out there, but most of them repeat what these books i have listed have dealt with.

most authurs still refer to these books that why i call the "BASIC BOOKS" to read.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st July 2007, 09:51 AM
Points: 2,516, Level: 30 Points: 2,516, Level: 30 Points: 2,516, Level: 30

Tunde is on a distinguished road

I would recommend "The Naked Trade" by Robbie Burns especially for those who did not have an MBA of Finance Degree. ISBN 1-897-59745-2
Packed with practical advice delivered in jargon-free language. It Emphasizes the need for research before before parting with your money to buy shares.

The book is focused on the London Stock Exchange but its lowdown of strategies you can start using from today is applicable everywhere.
Old 1st July 2007, 03:53 PM
Points: 1,598, Level: 22 Points: 1,598, Level: 22 Points: 1,598, Level: 22

gloria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gloria

pls could pls introduce to books on investing in stock for beginners, there are some definition or terms used in the stock market that i dont know about, pls help and introduce me to some books for beginners.
thanks
Old 1st July 2007, 05:04 PM
Points: 5,369, Level: 47 Points: 5,369, Level: 47 Points: 5,369, Level: 47

oseitutu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to oseitutu Send a message via MSN to oseitutu Send a message via Yahoo to oseitutu Send a message via Skype™ to oseitutu
Thumbs up What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria View Post
pls could pls introduce to books on investing in stock for beginners, there are some definition or terms used in the stock market that i dont know about, pls help and introduce me to some books for beginners.
thanks
Gloria, You must have recieved the free book when you signed on here. Read it and then visit investopedia.com.

I have dealt with the Rich Dad series a few years ago and it was quite enlightening. However, the book that fired me up was a book by a sports manager,Mark Mcormark.What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School: Notes From A Street-Smart Executive. It changed my outlook in 1991, before the later books gave me further guidance and then this forum is actually giving me fine-tuning!
Grab a copy if you can find it!
The Following User Says Thank You to oseitutu For This Useful Post:
dantakum (3rd October 2010)
Old 2nd July 2007, 08:02 AM
Points: 1,760, Level: 24 Points: 1,760, Level: 24 Points: 1,760, Level: 24

lauchukel is on a distinguished road
Default Books

Hey y'all,
You need to GET THIS BOOK!! Its easy to read, understand, and trust me, it will fire you up. Its called THINK LIKE A BILLIONAIRE, BECOME A BILLIONAIRE..AS A MAN THINKS SO HE IS!! Its by Scot Anderson (Nov 2006).
You may start by reading reviews on it, just google it up on the internet. Dont forget to say thanks to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to lauchukel For This Useful Post:
dantakum (3rd October 2010)
Old 2nd July 2007, 07:17 PM
Points: 2,788, Level: 32 Points: 2,788, Level: 32 Points: 2,788, Level: 32

Ehis is on a distinguished road
Default CIS Materials

Hi forum members
Please do any of you have CIS study packs or past questions?
I am in urgent need of it and will appreciate your help towards getting me the info.
I am in Owerri and needs it for the forth coming exam of Chartered Institute Of Stock brokers Nigeria
Thanks
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:24 PM
Points: 1,705, Level: 24 Points: 1,705, Level: 24 Points: 1,705, Level: 24

sahaka is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Try this Game - Kiyosaki's Cashflow101 Game

I salute All on this thread.

In my own opinion, I think the Cashflow101 Game by R. Kiyosaki beats all learning materials on financial planning I have ever come across. I've had the opportunity to play with some friends. All those that have read Rich Dad, Poor Dad would know about the game. It's a gameboard that's similar but more complex than Monopoly game.

Cashflow101 is a very interesting and fun way to learn Personal Financial Planning. It has an advanced version Cashflow201.

In the game, You will learn how to manage your incomes, assets, expenses, liabilities - how to use your salary and savings to invest in stocks, real estate, build businesses of your own to increase your passive income till when you are FINANCIALLY FREE. You will be thinking like a Billionaire!

I suggest forum members that reside near each other take the time to gather and play the game, whenever time permits. It's really a nice way to hang out and learn at the same time.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:27 AM
Points: 1,779, Level: 24 Points: 1,779, Level: 24 Points: 1,779, Level: 24

Lidris is on a distinguished road

Hi Miss Risky,

Classic bk by Robert Kiyosaki , started it could'nt put it dowm until i finish it..
I will recommed it on dis forum. Happy reading.

Rich Dad Poor Dad.
Old 18th August 2007, 04:01 AM
Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

savvy will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Please share which investment books are ok for starters

I would love members who have read educative book to share which book they have found most educative..
Currently reading THE INTELLIGENT INVESTOR and some of the information given on the proshare site Personal Finance Features and Tools - Proshare - About Us - Home
have been very useful..
Thank you so much
Cheers
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:46 AM
Points: 7,996, Level: 60 Points: 7,996, Level: 60 Points: 7,996, Level: 60

Stockbear is on a distinguished road
Default Here are a two

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy View Post
I would love members who have read educative book to share which book they have found most educative..
Currently reading THE INTELLIGENT INVESTOR and some of the information given on the proshare site Personal Finance Features and Tools - Proshare - About Us - Home
have been very useful..
Thank you so much
Cheers
1. The Warren Buffett Way - Robert G. Hagstrom.

2. The Successful Investor (What 80 Million People Need To Know To Invest Profitably And Avoid Big Losses - William J. O'Neil
Old 24th August 2007, 01:51 PM
Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

savvy will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Research info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockbear View Post
1. The Warren Buffett Way - Robert G. Hagstrom.

2. The Successful Investor (What 80 Million People Need To Know To Invest Profitably And Avoid Big Losses - William J. O'Neil
Thank a million and that in USD
Old 2nd January 2008, 02:03 PM
Points: 1,169, Level: 18 Points: 1,169, Level: 18 Points: 1,169, Level: 18

kool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseitutu View Post
Gloria, You must have recieved the free book when you signed on here. Read it and then visit investopedia.com.

I have dealt with the Rich Dad series a few years ago and it was quite enlightening. However, the book that fired me up was a book by a sports manager,Mark Mcormark.What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School: Notes From A Street-Smart Executive. It changed my outlook in 1991, before the later books gave me further guidance and then this forum is actually giving me fine-tuning!
Grab a copy if you can find it!
REally? That's great, but I think though these books are helpful to your investment, we should learn how to deal with the market when it changed.
Old 2nd January 2008, 07:58 PM

chidiohaz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to chidiohaz Send a message via Yahoo to chidiohaz

Haaaaa Ms. Risky, are you talking about financial books????????????

I read "From underground to the Sky" by Dr. Lopez Sanchez, this book is fantastic and wonderfully written. I have been searching for this book to buy and keep in my library. It's totally inspiring, no repetitions, direct to points, has very good real-life issues, financial equations made easy to understand and I strongly see it as a guideline to accumulated wealth of experience to become rich as stated by the New York times...
Old 3rd January 2008, 03:58 PM
Banned
Points: 5,177, Level: 46 Points: 5,177, Level: 46 Points: 5,177, Level: 46

nezvest is on a distinguished road

Hallo Miss Risky,

Nice thread you opened here. This thread should have been thought out before now in this forum. I wonder why noone had been able to open such thread before now.

Well come to the game. Consider the book that changed my financial mentality-The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason-It is a book you start and would not stop till you finish. After studing this book, you will understand that attaining financial freedom is as simple as ABC and you now wonder why many people are not rich. It is indeed mind-blowing. Try it. Very simple to read and understand. It will make you jump up and move everyone around you to grow rich. Check this linkhttp://www.manarin.com/wfdata/files/...ninBabylon.pdf

Another book I read and I am still reading is "Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill". This book will make you think and do extraodinary things to grow so rich such that your wealth will continue even after you are gone. Stories and moves of many great men and inventors the world has ever produced will sometimes make you to react like a mad man when you see the exposition of some of their past giant strides that led them to great inventions and wealth. You cannot afford to be poor after studing this book. You must act!!!

I love you all. Life is good.

"Every gold piece that you save is a slave to work for you. Every copper it earns is its child that also can earn for you."

"Opportunity is a haughty goddess who wastes no time with those who are unprepared."
excerpts from The reachest man in Babylon by George S. Clason

Last edited by nezvest; 3rd January 2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: to add the link for the Richest Man in Babylon
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:28 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 20,972, Level: 91 Points: 20,972, Level: 91 Points: 20,972, Level: 91
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Apache is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezvest View Post
Hallo Miss Risky,

Nice thread you opened here. This thread should have been thought out before now in this forum. I wonder why noone had been able to open such thread before now.

Well come to the game. Consider the book that changed my financial mentality-The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason-It is a book you start and would not stop till you finish. After studing this book, you will understand that attaining financial freedom is as simple as ABC and you now wonder why many people are not rich. It is indeed mind-blowing. Try it. Very simple to read and understand. It will make you jump up and move everyone around you to grow rich. Check this linkhttp://www.manarin.com/wfdata/files/...ninBabylon.pdf

Another book I read and I am still reading is "Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill". This book will make you think and do extraodinary things to grow so rich such that your wealth will continue even after you are gone. Stories and moves of many great men and inventors the world has ever produced will sometimes make you to react like a mad man when you see the exposition of some of their past giant strides that led them to great inventions and wealth. You cannot afford to be poor after studing this book. You must act!!!

I love you all. Life is good.

"Every gold piece that you save is a slave to work for you. Every copper it earns is its child that also can earn for you."

"Opportunity is a haughty goddess who wastes no time with those who are unprepared."
excerpts from The reachest man in Babylon by George S. Clason
Men! that book also changd my life. i had just finished school and had about 50k and was already thinking about the stereos and shoes i was going to buy with all the money when i fortunately ran into this book. after reading it, i used the money to purchase 2,000 units of Zenith bank and 1,000 units of GTBank during their IPO and PO in 2004. That marked the beginning of my journey in the world of stocks and money-making process.
I give thanks to God almighty. "Richest man in babylon" is definitely a book to read
Old 4th January 2008, 11:13 PM
Points: 6,389, Level: 52 Points: 6,389, Level: 52 Points: 6,389, Level: 52
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

newton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to newton

Yeah no doubt 'Richest man in babylon' is a must read. But my most inspiring book seems to be 'why we want u 2 be rich' by the duo of kiyosaki and trump. Sure u can imagine that individually they r a delight to read much more in a combo.
Reading 'cashflow quadrant' now, seems to be quite educative too.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:46 PM

chidiohaz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to chidiohaz Send a message via Yahoo to chidiohaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidiohaz View Post
"From underground to the Sky" by Dr. Lopez Sanchez, ........... a guideline to accumulated wealth of experience to become rich as stated by the New York times...
Please anyone with info. about any Bookshop from which I can repossess this invaluable book!
Old 10th January 2008, 01:01 AM
Points: 2,244, Level: 28 Points: 2,244, Level: 28 Points: 2,244, Level: 28

ibro2324 is on a distinguished road
Default Classic Finance books

who has this book in pdf so that some of us can benefit from reading it(THINK LIKE A BILLIONAIRE, BECOME A BILLIONAIRE)...Shall be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ibro2324; 14th January 2008 at 12:59 AM.