Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Foreign Investments & Special Funds > Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT)

Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT) A REIT is a company that invests in real estate and distributes its income to shareholders e.g SkyeShelter REIT, UNHOMES/GMA REIT.

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 14th March 2007, 04:02 PM
Points: 2,682, Level: 31 Points: 2,682, Level: 31 Points: 2,682, Level: 31
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
SavyInvestor is on a distinguished road
Default Union Homes

Hi Guys
Does anyone know if this stock is a good buy. Does it have solid fundamentals and potential for capital growth.

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th April 2008, 10:34 AM
Points: 9,730, Level: 66 Points: 9,730, Level: 66 Points: 9,730, Level: 66
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

zainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of light
Default A good buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creflo View Post
may be you havent seen their 3rd quarter earnings yet. I am not sure what you mean by "forward" PE but in any case , most quoted companies trade at PE of 40 thats a fair valuation on the secondary market. thats demand/supply usually push people to pay a max of about N40 for every N1 earned or dividend i should say. thats my average observation from extensive and continuous following of the Nigerian Stock exhange. from the facts i gathered from their quarterly earnings, Union homes is poised to earn between 60k and 80k for every outstanding share so I beliveve if they declare at least 40K they would not be trading at nothing less than N16 around august when they would declare these are conservative estimates. I know Nigerians like money magic as very few people are ready to wait for 3 or 4 months to make returns we want it sharp sharp but really thats how to build an enduring wealth. IF you are an adept investor, and every 6months you can do research and find a stock that would double in 6 months then with N1 million, you will need only 5 months to make N1 billion. try and compound it yourself. Capital market requires shrewdness, patience, indept knowledge (more than others) and willingness to take risk.
well before i digress this thread is for something else. Onward make una no annoy
Could you please publish the 3rd qtr earnings? My little research shows N1.4billion and they have 6.25 billion shares outstanding. This gives an EPS of 30k, so they cannot pay a dividend of 40k unless i am missing something.

Please publish the earnings and shareholders funds u used. thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th April 2008, 01:23 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 83,272, Level: 100 Points: 83,272, Level: 100 Points: 83,272, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice

Quote:
may be you havent seen their 3rd quarter earnings yet. I am not sure what you mean by "forward" PE but in any case , most quoted companies trade at PE of 40 thats a fair valuation on the secondary market. thats demand/supply usually push people to pay a max of about N40 for every N1 earned or dividend i should say. thats my average observation from extensive and continuous following of the Nigerian Stock exhange. from the facts i gathered from their quarterly earnings, Union homes is poised to earn between 60k and 80k for every outstanding share so I beliveve if they declare at least 40K they would not be trading at nothing less than N16 around august when they would declare these are conservative estimates. I know Nigerians like money magic as very few people are ready to wait for 3 or 4 months to make returns we want it sharp sharp but really thats how to build an enduring wealth. IF you are an adept investor, and every 6months you can do research and find a stock that would double in 6 months then with N1 million, you will need only 5 months to make N1 billion. try and compound it yourself. Capital market requires shrewdness, patience, indept knowledge (more than others) and willingness to take risk.
well before i digress this thread is for something else. Onward make una no annoy
This is the 3Q results I have for Union Homes:

Union Homes Plc Turnover PBT TAX PAT
=N='000 =N='000 =N='000 =N='000
31-Dec-07 9 Mths 5,592,000 1,711,000 291,000 1,320,000
31-Dec-06 9 Mths 5,451,000 864,000 148,000 718,500
2.6% 98.0% 83.7%

They grew PAT by 83.7%, but turnover by only 2.6%. Just like Zainabusman, I also have an EPS of 29k, please let us know how you arrived at EPS of 60-80k. Except Union Homes can deliver N1.32B PAT for Q4 alone, there's is no way they will acheieve an EPS of 60k.

I do not agree that a PE of 40 is a fair valuation in the seconday market. Just because the market has been irrational letely does not mean that a PE of 40 is fair. If you have data that shows that the historical PE of the market has been 40, please share it here.

Finding a stock that will double every 6 months is easier said than done. UBA is one of the cheapest and most fundamentally sound stocks and it's price has gone no where in the last 4 months or so. It is one thing for you as an investor to find value in a stock, it is another thing for the market to agree with you. If the market does not see what you see, then that stock is not going anywhere.

Last edited by hispy99; 14th April 2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 14th April 2008, 07:08 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 41,085, Level: 100 Points: 41,085, Level: 100 Points: 41,085, Level: 100
Activity: 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

I got a forward EPS of 35K for March 2008 full year with linear projections from my own calculations.

As far as I am concerned Union Homes is not one of the best buys in the market. They were able to grow their turnover by only 2% and their ROE dropped from 0.86 to 0.68 based on their 3rd quarter results. Buying into Union Homes will be for the LONG term because it s a growth stock as the mortgage sector will take over the economy when the stock market has reached its peak.

Based on the results they have released so far, buying into Union Homes at this time is mere speculation for short term as there are no fundamentals to drive the share price up.

I'd rather buy more of UBA and Diamond bank.

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi
Old 14th April 2008, 08:45 PM
Points: 4,983, Level: 45 Points: 4,983, Level: 45 Points: 4,983, Level: 45

creflo is on a distinguished road

okay You guys should post au many outstanding shares union homes has here. and please tell me where you got it or au you arrived at it. forget gramma ,shares is simple mathematics, unless i got the wrong number because i checked their market capitalization and the current price and thats au i arrived at my EPS. but may be my data was stale. but I realy would love to know the # of outstanding shares they have.

I just chcked and they have 2 billion outstanding shares and as at third quater results they have earned N 1,320,000 profit after tax, if they finish the year with a conservative N1.5 billion Profit after tax , is there Earning ratio not N1.5billion/2 billion outstanding shares that translates to 75K for every share. am missing something my people. all this throwing of acryonyms doesnt increase share price. its the fundamentals that does , and thats your earnings!! if a company declares 50K dividend tell me au they can be trading at less than N20.
for the guy that said predicting a share that can double in 6 months is not easy, its easy its just the limited fundamental knowledge of the market that make it easier. 6 months ago I just saw that Conoil was trading at N60 and I called my friend in Nigeria and said what was going on, why have you not bought all the conoil shares you can find. today the price is N138. people dont check these fundamentals if u do Union Homes will not elude you. Japaul is a good buy by the way.

Last edited by creflo; 14th April 2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 14th April 2008, 08:56 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 83,272, Level: 100 Points: 83,272, Level: 100 Points: 83,272, Level: 100

hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice

Zainabusman got it right, the # of oustanding shares is 6.25B
Old 14th April 2008, 09:40 PM
Points: 4,983, Level: 45 Points: 4,983, Level: 45 Points: 4,983, Level: 45

creflo is on a distinguished road

please update me on where you got that 6.25 billion shares may be the website i checked is stale.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:56 PM
Points: 9,730, Level: 66 Points: 9,730, Level: 66 Points: 9,730, Level: 66
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

zainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
please update me on where you got that 6.25 billion shares may be the website i checked is stale.
I got the number of shares outstanding from the Nigerian stock exchange website. Here is the link.

http://www.nigerianstockexchange.com...symbol=UNHOMES
Old 25th May 2008, 11:40 AM
Points: 1,779, Level: 24 Points: 1,779, Level: 24 Points: 1,779, Level: 24

chidiohaz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to chidiohaz Send a message via Yahoo to chidiohaz
Default I need a candid advice

I am confused lately about the impact of the 100,000 min. units of share that could drive the price of stock, this has affect most of my stocks. Virtually all my stocks are pointing southwards!

Please advise me before I go bunkers, do I offload my Union Homes Stocks now or do I shore up the more????
Old 25th May 2008, 11:47 AM
Forum Moderator
Points: 5,987, Level: 50 Points: 5,987, Level: 50 Points: 5,987, Level: 50

olusolakemmy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidiohaz View Post
I am confused lately about the impact of the 100,000 min. units of share that could drive the price of stock, this has affect most of my stocks. Virtually all my stocks are pointing southwards!

Please advise me before I go bunkers, do I offload my Union Homes Stocks now or do I shore up the more????
the 100,000 minimum is to prevent share price manipulation.
it is a knowledge that some company sell 1000 unit daily and have 5% appreciation, this can persist for 4weeks, by the time the share price double, triple or quadriple, they will start selling the shares in millions!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a classical ways of defrauding the public.
take the case of roads plc for instance, since the regulation, the share price has stagnated at N4.09, before then it was moving 5% daily.
so in a way, i think it is a good regulation, what the regualtion means is that for a company to appreciate in price, there must a a considerable amount of demand for that stock
for your union homes, dnt know what to say.

Last edited by olusolakemmy; 25th May 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 25th May 2008, 01:57 PM
Points: 2,572, Level: 30 Points: 2,572, Level: 30 Points: 2,572, Level: 30

son5070 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidiohaz View Post

Union homes shouldn't much be affect by this rule,i mean they have just over 6b outstanding share and do trade volume.
Going Short-term,i can't see any news that will drive it price and also with rumours of impending PO....I don't see them going on suspension at its current price though.
All said,i will hold this stock for long term
NB- i don't have this stock for now(no money to buy)
Old 9th July 2008, 03:07 AM
Forum Moderator

Union Homes pumps N60bn into housing in Africa’s first REIT

BusinessDay... the voice of business - Union Homes pumps N60bn into housing in Africa’s first REIT
Old 13th July 2008, 08:34 AM
Points: 6,243, Level: 51 Points: 6,243, Level: 51 Points: 6,243, Level: 51

Avocado is on a distinguished road

Not a bad result for Union Homes; not fantastic, but not disgraceful.

Roads is an excellent example of the unfairness and absurdity of the flat 100k-units rule. 100k is 0.5% of all Roads shares; compare with, say Union Homes, with 6.25B shares, that's 0.002%; or, better, with a Construction Industry stock: if 100k units should move Costain (0.06%), then about 15,000 units should do for Roads, even less.

Roads delivered a fantastic result for year end 2007. If Roads' F-PAT drops by 50%, the stock will still be ridiculously cheaply priced. In the absence of the one-cap-fits-all 100k rule, it wouldn't have been abnormal for Roads' price to have continued maximum daily gains straight for 20 trading days, starting from the freezed price of N4.09; and even then, the fundamentals will place the stock in lucrative PP range.
Old 14th July 2008, 02:51 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
Not a bad result for Union Homes; not fantastic, but not disgraceful.

Roads is an excellent example of the unfairness and absurdity of the flat 100k-units rule. 100k is 0.5% of all Roads shares; compare with, say Union Homes, with 6.25B shares, that's 0.002%; or, better, with a Construction Industry stock: if 100k units should move Costain (0.06%), then about 15,000 units should do for Roads, even less.

Roads delivered a fantastic result for year end 2007. If Roads' F-PAT drops by 50%, the stock will still be ridiculously cheaply priced. In the absence of the one-cap-fits-all 100k rule, it wouldn't have been abnormal for Roads' price to have continued maximum daily gains straight for 20 trading days, starting from the freezed price of N4.09; and even then, the fundamentals will place the stock in lucrative PP range.
The 100k rule in my opinion was a knee jerk reaction to the obvious price manipulation that was going on. It is because of this rule that some overpriced stocks cannot come down in price (Nigerian Enamelware for example).
Old 6th August 2008, 12:24 AM
Points: 5,740, Level: 48 Points: 5,740, Level: 48 Points: 5,740, Level: 48

billions has a spectacular aura aboutbillions has a spectacular aura aboutbillions has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Union Homes

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php...010&Itemid=116

Last edited by Ikechukwu Emelike; 8th June 2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: "Copyright infringement - content removed and replaced with link"
Old 8th August 2008, 09:09 AM
Points: 7,434, Level: 57 Points: 7,434, Level: 57 Points: 7,434, Level: 57

tonidol is on a distinguished road

Lets hope it will push this stock up. I seem not to be moved with anything Union. It seems they lack aggression. Going by when they started this mortgage business, they should have gone far. New comers are even packaging something better. Their horse lacks vision.

Last edited by Ikechukwu Emelike; 8th June 2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:20 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 16,152, Level: 81 Points: 16,152, Level: 81 Points: 16,152, Level: 81
Activity: 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Groans: 1
waaan5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonidol View Post
Lets hope it will push this stock up. I seem not to be moved with anything Union. It seems they lack aggression. Going by when they started this mortgage business, they should have gone far. New comers are even packaging something better. Their horse lacks vision.
I concur with you. The problem of Union Homes is maybe related to the fact that it is an offshoot of UBN. My main beef with Union Homes is their seemingly perpetual need to raise funds and even more funds without showing improved performance from their utilization. I took a chance on them when they came out newly but not any longer.

Last edited by waaan5; 8th August 2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11th August 2008, 03:27 PM
Points: 3,055, Level: 34 Points: 3,055, Level: 34 Points: 3,055, Level: 34

riskreturn will become famous soon enough

UNION HOMES SAVINGS AND LOANS PLC
AUDITED RESULT FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31-03-2008
2008 2007
TURNOVER N8.916b N8.396b
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION N2.355b N1.061b
TAXATION (N357m) (N60m)
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION N1.997b N1.001b
PROPOSED DIVIDEND 10K PROPOSED BONUS ISSUE 1 FOR 4
CLOSURE DATE AUGUST 25TH TO SEPTEMBER
3RD 2008 PAYMENT DATE SEPTEMBER 15TH 2008
Old 11th August 2008, 06:43 PM
Points: 4,394, Level: 42 Points: 4,394, Level: 42 Points: 4,394, Level: 42

prince dagbolu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskreturn View Post
UNION HOMES SAVINGS AND LOANS PLC
AUDITED RESULT FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31-03-2008
2008 2007
TURNOVER N8.916b N8.396b
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION N2.355b N1.061b
TAXATION (N357m) (N60m)
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION N1.997b N1.001b
PROPOSED DIVIDEND 10K PROPOSED BONUS ISSUE 1 FOR 4
CLOSURE DATE AUGUST 25TH TO SEPTEMBER
3RD 2008 PAYMENT DATE SEPTEMBER 15TH 2008
The bonus is good and the divided is fair. Overall, i find the reward satisfactory. 95% increase to the PAT is good.
Old 12th August 2008, 08:33 AM
Points: 4,701, Level: 43 Points: 4,701, Level: 43 Points: 4,701, Level: 43

threecrown is on a distinguished road

Dear Moderators, thanks for your good works,
i think it is strange having union homes (thread) in this building, construction stocks places. Union homes is not purely into building or construction neither is it purely a bank so i guess that was why it was more from the banking tread. but i feel we should have a new thread to accomodate, union homes, aso savings, crusader and the new coming royal exchange plc. Thread can be titled Other financial institutions. this will also accomodate other savings and loans, morgages, micofinances companies in future.