Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Foreign Investments & Special Funds > Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT)

Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT) A REIT is a company that invests in real estate and distributes its income to shareholders e.g SkyeShelter REIT, UNHOMES/GMA REIT.

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11th August 2009, 09:20 PM
Points: 40,075, Level: 100 Points: 40,075, Level: 100 Points: 40,075, Level: 100
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Groans: 53
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
nosa2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nosa2 Send a message via Skype™ to nosa2
Default future of real estate?

I came across this ad on a classified ads site Distressed Houses for sale @ Lekki phase 1 - Lagos For Sale - Nairalist and i'm wondering if these is kind of adverts dont signal the begining of the real estate price crash?
Old 11th August 2009, 09:56 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 16,893, Level: 83 Points: 16,893, Level: 83 Points: 16,893, Level: 83
Activity: 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
waaan5 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: future of real estate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosa2 View Post
I came across this ad on a classified ads site Distressed Houses for sale @ Lekki phase 1 - Lagos For Sale - Nairalist and i'm wondering if these is kind of adverts dont signal the begining of the real estate price crash?
Nosa, there have been various signs of price stabilization in highbrow Lagos real estate mrkt, but that advert is just a gimmick. They are trying to capitalize on people's anticipation of a crash to make a quick sale. Otherwise they should have been bold to mention the prices so that the reader would determine if it is a 'distressed sale' or not.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August 2009, 10:17 AM
Points: 16,796, Level: 82 Points: 16,796, Level: 82 Points: 16,796, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
c kenneths has a spectacular aura aboutc kenneths has a spectacular aura about

There is no standard mearsurement to show how real estate prices perform in the Nigerian market. Thats why I find it hard to believe real estate prices are on the decline. Quoted prices are very flexible. I have had cases when I lowered my advertised prices for the lure of a quick sale or sometimes refusing to sell when I wont need the money immediately.
Old 20th August 2009, 05:05 PM
Points: 9,174, Level: 64 Points: 9,174, Level: 64 Points: 9,174, Level: 64
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Babs_O will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaan5 View Post
Nosa, there have been various signs of price stabilization in highbrow Lagos real estate mrkt, but that advert is just a gimmick. They are trying to capitalize on people's anticipation of a crash to make a quick sale. Otherwise they should have been bold to mention the prices so that the reader would determine if it is a 'distressed sale' or not.
I would think otherwise. People's anticipation of a crash should only help them to make a quick buy and a very delayed sale. If I fear prices will crash why should I buy. (rather I will quickly sell the house I have)
The standard of living of any society is based on the goods and services available therein. The result of business ventures. My prayer is for God's mercy to save us from the hands of Nigerians who come to leadership positions to set the country backwards.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August 2009, 05:12 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 15,915, Level: 81 Points: 15,915, Level: 81 Points: 15,915, Level: 81
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
pumping will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to pumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by c kenneths View Post
There is no standard mearsurement to show how real estate prices perform in the Nigerian market. Thats why I find it hard to believe real estate prices are on the decline. Quoted prices are very flexible. I have had cases when I lowered my advertised prices for the lure of a quick sale or sometimes refusing to sell when I wont need the money immediately.
I think the market is generally down. This is most evident at the high end of the market. I know a few blokes that also went on a borrowing spree from the banks to build properties in Ikoyi, especially Banana Island. They are finding it hard to sell right now even after dropping prices significantly.

Most people that are not under pressure can always wait it out and maintain old prices...but you have to wait for some time..

Let us just understand that in Nigeria, money is not manufactured somehow. 80% of all that is available to spend is from Government and right now that Government is broke. The state allocations are dropping by the month and states are now issuing bonds to raise funds...It is affecting everything. That is why they must remove subsidies (they can't afford it anymore) and they must ask the private sector to take over the provision of infrastructure....otherwise, what will be left to chop??

Pumping.

Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is. You can't buy what is popular and do well.

-Warren Buffet-
Old 20th August 2009, 06:30 PM
Points: 40,075, Level: 100 Points: 40,075, Level: 100 Points: 40,075, Level: 100

Another thing thats going to put pressure on real estate prices is this loan recovery going on, i expect a lot of high brow distress/emergency sales just like we saw in the stock market
Old 20th August 2009, 09:49 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Another thing thats going to put pressure on real estate prices is this loan recovery going on, i expect a lot of high brow distress/emergency sales just like we saw in the stock market
Could be. Especially if they are seen as seriously trying to recover the debts. Otherwise, nothing would change much.

Nosa, pls I was not referring to you in my comment in the 'Banks"thread. I have pasted the quote I referred.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumping View Post
I think the market is generally down. This is most evident at the high end of the market. I know a few blokes that also went on a borrowing spree from the banks to build properties in Ikoyi, especially Banana Island. They are finding it hard to sell right now even after dropping prices significantly.

Most people that are not under pressure can always wait it out and maintain old prices...but you have to wait for some time..

Let us just understand that in Nigeria, money is not manufactured somehow. 80% of all that is available to spend is from Government and right now that Government is broke. The state allocations are dropping by the month and states are now issuing bonds to raise funds...It is affecting everything. That is why they must remove subsidies (they can't afford it anymore) and they must ask the private sector to take over the provision of infrastructure....otherwise, what will be left to chop??
Maybe its because I dont take loans to build, I am never in a hurry to sell. I can also rent a property that stays sits for a long time and sell two years later at more than 50% more.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:50 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs_O View Post
I would think otherwise. People's anticipation of a crash should only help them to make a quick buy and a very delayed sale. If I fear prices will crash why should I buy. (rather I will quickly sell the house I have)
That is what I would do also. Wait for it to crash before buying. But what I was saying ws that the advert in question was trying to 'make people think their prices have been crashed already". Remmember the title of the headline was something like 'distressed sale'. I argued that the their asking prices were not showing 'distress'.
Old 21st August 2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
That is what I would do also. Wait for it to crash before buying. But what I was saying ws that the advert in question was trying to 'make people think their prices have been crashed already". Remmember the title of the headline was something like 'distressed sale'. I argued that the their asking prices were not showing 'distress'.
Let them talk all they want, the distress would soon come, i look forward to buying a flat in lekki phase 1 for around 15m.
Old 24th August 2009, 08:59 AM
Points: 16,799, Level: 82 Points: 16,799, Level: 82 Points: 16,799, Level: 82
Activity: 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
wanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura aboutwanaj0 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Let them talk all they want, the distress would soon come, i look forward to buying a flat in lekki phase 1 for around 15m.
To buy or to rent???? Land for that area self na die.
Old 27th August 2009, 07:44 PM
Points: 1,669, Level: 23 Points: 1,669, Level: 23 Points: 1,669, Level: 23

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
slydomber is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about Lagos. A friend wants to sell me a plot in the Lekki beach area for over 3 million...is that a good buy? For those who know the area...what do u guys think?
Old 28th August 2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydomber View Post
I don't know much about Lagos. A friend wants to sell me a plot in the Lekki beach area for over 3 million...is that a good buy? For those who know the area...what do u guys think?
3m seems low for Lekki, see the plot yourself and make an assesment then speak to any local land agent for comparisons. Always shop around first before showing your cheque book. Good luck.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:02 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Slydomber, the term Lekki area is loose and can span all the way to Eleko and beyond. So you need to know the precise place. If it is in the place that is actually called Lekki Beach (that can be accessed at the third roundabout as you come from VI), then the price is 'too good to be true'. Meaning it is definitely not true. The going rate around there even for traditionally held areas should be from N10mln upwards. But for farther away as you get to Ogombo, and sangotedo areas, it could be a right price. But bear in mind those areas are far from VI (factoring traffic).
Old 31st August 2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Slydomber, the term Lekki area is loose and can span all the way to Eleko and beyond. So you need to know the precise place. If it is in the place that is actually called Lekki Beach (that can be accessed at the third roundabout as you come from VI), then the price is 'too good to be true'. Meaning it is definitely not true. The going rate around there even for traditionally held areas should be from N10mln upwards. But for farther away as you get to Ogombo, and sangotedo areas, it could be a right price. But bear in mind those areas are far from VI (factoring traffic).
Actually, the plot is in Ibeju Lekki, around Ekpe express, after cheveron. I hear they want to build a trade center nearby. So, for 3million, is this a good deal?
Old 31st August 2009, 03:52 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Actually, the plot is in Ibeju Lekki, around Ekpe express, after cheveron. I hear they want to build a trade center nearby. So, for 3million, is this a good deal?
Ibeju Lekki is as you go to Eleko (i.e. even after, Aja, and Sangotedo). To use Chervon roundabout as a landmark is no accurate. It is better to say past Crown Estate, May flowers, and even Beechwood). N3mln is on the high side as far as I am concerned in this area. Except ofcourse the layout it is situated already has access and infrastructures in place. Forget what they have on the drawing board there for now. It is all marketing jinx until concrete action starts. I would suggest you keep it at N1.5mln to N2.5mln max per plot, in order to be sure you are getting some good deals.

Last edited by waaan5; 31st August 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 31st August 2009, 05:38 PM
Points: 9,246, Level: 64 Points: 9,246, Level: 64 Points: 9,246, Level: 64

Groans: 8
Taipan will become famous soon enoughTaipan will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Taipan

Quote:
Ibeju Lekki is as you go to Eleko (i.e. even after, Aja, and Sangotedo). To use Chervon roundabout as a landmark is no accurate. It is better to say past Crown Estate, May flowers, and even Beechwood). N3mln is on the high side as far as I am concerned in this area. Except ofcourse the layout it is situated already has access and infrastructures in place. Forget what they have on the drawing board there for now. It is all marketing jinx until concrete action starts. I would suggest you keep it at N1.5mln to N2.5mln max per plot, in order to be sure you are getting some good deals.
Considering that I have offers at Sangotedo (for N2.5m) and Ibeju-Lekki (in a proposed estate for N2.64m) I think N3m is expensive.
Old 31st August 2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Considering that I have offers at Sangotedo (for N2.5m) and Ibeju-Lekki (in a proposed estate for N2.64m) I think N3m is expensive.
Thank you guys for all your help. Someone also mentioned to me that these places sometimes are swampy and may require lots of sanding in order to build.

My question is, i keep hearing remorse about an impending crash in the 9Ja real-estate sector, so should one just wait and see before buying?
Old 31st August 2009, 10:25 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Thank you guys for all your help. Someone also mentioned to me that these places sometimes are swampy and may require lots of sanding in order to build.

My question is, i keep hearing remorse about an impending crash in the 9Ja real-estate sector, so should one just wait and see before buying?
I do not think sand filling would be an issue in most parts of Ibeju Lekki as it is generally dry ground.

I think there would be some price leveling especially in the high-end market of Lekki ph 1, VI and Ikoyi in Lagos. These are where 1000sqm of bare muddy ground can go for N250 mln. So there have to be some effect of the fact that less money is now getting shared by the government, and more recently the self induced disaster in the banking sector. But I do not expect a severe real estate crash as have been experienced in Britian and the US due to some factors such as the typical nija attitude to home owner ship.

How much this leveling will affect the medium market (1.5 - 10mln) land prices is still up in the air. methinks it will not be much.
Old 1st September 2009, 03:26 PM

What are the factors that can bring about a serious price crash in the real estate field? There is still a high demand for houses and lands will still be scarce as land fragmentation intensifies due to increasing population.