Go Back   StockMarketNigeria.com Forums > Financial products and resources > Share/Upload Files, Charts, & Resources

Share/Upload Files, Charts, & Resources Upload Files, Charts and other investment resources you like to share here. Uploaded material must be public domain only.

Welcome to the StockMarketNigeria.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 21st November 2008, 01:10 PM
Points: 1,296, Level: 19 Points: 1,296, Level: 19 Points: 1,296, Level: 19
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
aogundele is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to aogundele
Default merril lynch report

Below is an excerpt from Meriill Lynch's global economic report, couldn't paste the ranking tables on this site due the file formats but it's interesting to know that Nigeria is the safest econony to invest by their own parameters.

FT Alphaville » Blog Archive » Risky territory

Last edited by Ikechukwu Emelike; 4th July 2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: "Copyright infringement - content removed and replaced with link"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November 2008, 04:19 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 84,119, Level: 100 Points: 84,119, Level: 100 Points: 84,119, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice
Default Re: merril lynch report

Quote:
Originally Posted by aogundele View Post
Below is an excerpt from Meriill Lynch's global economic report, couldn't paste the ranking tables on this site due the file formats but it's interesting to know that Nigeria is the safest econony to invest by their own parameters.

Merrill Lynch’s much-anticipated global economics missive is out today.
The 21-page note, prepared, according to ML, by popular client request, is titled “Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about the world*” with the footnote “*And were not afraid to ask.”
The ML economists are arguing for a return to old-school style country risk analysis. They’re looking at 62 indicators for the 60 world economies they cover, plus regional aggregates (5,000 bits of data in all, the busy ML team tells us).
They’ve also constructed a risk ranking based on seven of those indicators: current account financing gap, FX reserves/short-term external debt ratio, exports to-GDP ratio, private credit-to-GDP ratio, private credit growth, loans-to deposits ratio and banks capital-to-assets ratio.
And the results are, err, the following:

Highest risk country - Australia
Lowest Risk Country - Nigeria

In terms of regions, the most vulnerable are EMEA, Americas and Emerging EMEA, according to ML — all with over-leveraged financial systems and stretched external debt ratios. BRIC, Latin America and Emerging Asia are the safest, based on their ranking.

While placing Nigeria as the safest economy in the world seems extremely counter-intuitive, it’s worthwhile noting that many of ML’s riskiest countries/regions are those that experienced what the National Bureau of Economic Research called “capital flow bonanzas” in the past five years (Australia in 2007, the UK in 2005-2007, the US in 2002-2007, Romania in 2004, etc.) — leading to a higher risk of financial crises in those areas. It also, at least, tallies with ML’s global economic theme in recent months — impaired Anglo-Saxon consumers.

Interesting indeed. Didn't think I'll see the day when a top notch bank will rate nigeria as the safest country in the world. Wonders shall never end.
Old 21st November 2008, 07:40 PM
Points: 3,476, Level: 36 Points: 3,476, Level: 36 Points: 3,476, Level: 36
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

mosbe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aogundele View Post

Merrill Lynch’s much-anticipated global economics missive is out today.
The 21-page note, prepared, according to ML, by popular client request, is titled

Highest risk country - Australia
Lowest Risk Country - Nigeria

In terms of regions, the most vulnerable are EMEA, Americas and Emerging EMEA, according to ML — all with over-leveraged financial systems and stretched external debt ratios. BRIC, Latin America and Emerging Asia are the safest, based on their ranking.

While placing Nigeria as the safest economy in the world
A foreign reputable bank Endorsing Nigeria as the safest economy in world.... This is good news for our stock market in particular and our nation in General......I hope this Report brings about a bullish run in our market to further boost our confidence.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November 2008, 09:20 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 84,119, Level: 100 Points: 84,119, Level: 100 Points: 84,119, Level: 100

hispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nicehispy99 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosbe View Post
A foreign reputable bank Endorsing Nigeria as the safest economy in world.... This is good news for our stock market in particular and our nation in General......I hope this Report brings about a bullish run in our market to further boost our confidence.

Don't know if this will change the perception of Nigeria. I have not read the report, but I still find it difficult to believe that Nigeria can be the safest place on any basis.

Regarding merill's reputation, I won't put a lot on it. If they were so smart, how did they get trapped in the subprime debacle and sell themselves to Bank of America? I was reading a story yesterday about a hedge fund manager that shorted merill's stock. His reason was very simple. According to him, merill is always involved in every crisis from the orange county crisis to the internet bubble. Guess what? Merill bought a subprime lender at the peak of the subprime bubble!
Old 21st November 2008, 09:57 PM
Points: 10,111, Level: 67 Points: 10,111, Level: 67 Points: 10,111, Level: 67
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Michael has a spectacular aura aboutMichael has a spectacular aura aboutMichael has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down Re: merril lynch report

Quote:
Originally Posted by hispy99 View Post
Don't know if this will change the perception of Nigeria. I have not read the report, but I still find it difficult to believe that Nigeria can be the safest place on any basis.

Regarding merill's reputation, I won't put a lot on it. If they were so smart, how did they get trapped in the subprime debacle and sell themselves to Bank of America? I was reading a story yesterday about a hedge fund manager that shorted merill's stock. His reason was very simple. According to him, merill is always involved in every crisis from the orange county crisis to the internet bubble. Guess what? Merill bought a subprime lender at the peak of the subprime bubble!
The lesson to be learnt from Hisspy's comments is don't get carried away by big names. My accountant many years ago told me that wealth was the ability to get credit. He also told me that a lot of the so called "Big Men" we read about in society actually have a net asset value of below zero!

Merill Lynch Read My Lips! Shooo
Old 21st November 2008, 11:23 PM
Points: 9,730, Level: 66 Points: 9,730, Level: 66 Points: 9,730, Level: 66

zainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of lightzainabusman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The lesson to be learnt from Hisspy's comments is don't get carried away by big names. My accountant many years ago told me that wealth was the ability to get credit. He also told me that a lot of the so called "Big Men" we read about in society actually have a net asset value of below zero!

Merill Lynch Read My Lips! Shooo
Unfortunately some of our newspapers have already gone to town with this with a lot of excitement. Nigerians love this kind of thing. Remember how banks make so much noise about one award or the other.

My take is Merill who?
Old 22nd November 2008, 03:54 PM
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Catweasel will become famous soon enoughCatweasel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hispy .... you have just hit the nail on the head ... "PERCEPTION".

I am a Scot that lives and works in Lagos with my Naija wife and son and consider myself pseudo-Nigerian. When I return to the UK, the local and national press and media rarely acknowledge that Nigeria exists .... until there is a kidnapping or more wahala emanating from the Delta crisis, or indeed some niaive soul from the UK falls victim to a 419 scam. Dispite constant reassurance my mother lies awake worrying about her son being in that dangerous place.

Merryll Lynch nor any other foreign agency can change the perception of Nigeria. Only us Nigerians can do that... and we are ... little by little.
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:44 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catweasel View Post
Hispy .... you have just hit the nail on the head ... "PERCEPTION".

I am a Scot that lives and works in Lagos with my Naija wife and son and consider myself pseudo-Nigerian. When I return to the UK, the local and national press and media rarely acknowledge that Nigeria exists .... until there is a kidnapping or more wahala emanating from the Delta crisis, or indeed some niaive soul from the UK falls victim to a 419 scam. Dispite constant reassurance my mother lies awake worrying about her son being in that dangerous place.

Merryll Lynch nor any other foreign agency can change the perception of Nigeria. Only us Nigerians can do that... and we are ... little by little.
Are you sure you're Scot with all these local words in your post?
Old 24th November 2008, 02:54 AM
Points: 12,275, Level: 72 Points: 12,275, Level: 72 Points: 12,275, Level: 72
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
bivins1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Naija as a lnguage is fast becoming an international lingua .
Old 24th November 2008, 03:00 AM

Michael has a spectacular aura aboutMichael has a spectacular aura aboutMichael has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Easy to Find out.

Catweasel this question is for you: "would you rather watch the Scotish National Football team beat the Brazilian Team, or watch France beat England?"
Old 24th November 2008, 09:13 AM

Catweasel will become famous soon enoughCatweasel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Easy to Find out.

Catweasel this question is for you: "would you rather watch the Scotish National Football team beat the Brazilian Team, or watch France beat England?"
Unfair question... You are obviously well aware of our rivalry with the Auld Enemy ... all of the above!

But in any event a few wee drams of a cheeky wee 12 year old Glenmorangie would definitely be required.
Old 24th November 2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Unfair question... You are obviously well aware of our rivalry with the Auld Enemy ... all of the above!

But in any event a few wee drams of a cheeky wee 12 year old Glenmorangie would definitely be required.
Definitely a Scotsman! Without a doubt!

Welcome to the forum Catweasel, Glad to have you here!

Last edited by Michael; 24th November 2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 24th November 2008, 08:56 PM

Most male Citizens of the Niger Delta of U.K, have 3 main things on which they bond. The Love of Football, the Love of Alcohol and the "Lack of Love" Love for England.
Old 25th November 2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Definitely a Scotsman! Without a doubt!

Welcome to the forum Catweasel, Glad to have you here!
Thanks Michael, your welcome is greatly appreciated.

or as my Yoruba wife would say "E ku le"

not sure about the spelling though
Old 25th November 2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Most male Citizens of the Niger Delta of U.K, have 3 main things on which they bond. The Love of Football, the Love of Alcohol and the "Lack of Love" Love for England.
You know ... a number of years ago in the lead up to a world cup game between England and Argintina, One of the English supermarkets "Asda" reported that in Enland they were experiencing a 15% reduction in the sale of Argentinian wines. But they went on to say that they were not overly concerned due to the 46% increase in the sale of Argentinian wines in Scotland.

I guess this proves your theory ... either way a great story.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:28 PM
Points: 5,740, Level: 48 Points: 5,740, Level: 48 Points: 5,740, Level: 48

billions has a spectacular aura aboutbillions has a spectacular aura aboutbillions has a spectacular aura about

or as my Yoruba wife would say "E ku le"not sure about the spelling though

You got d spelling right my brother...100%.

I am happy that u r enjoying ur stay in naija.Only a Nigerian wife is good enough 4 d Great Catweasel.

Very soon,"Prince Dagbolu" will find a Town and make u the Oba(king)

Last edited by billions; 25th November 2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 26th November 2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
You know ... a number of years ago in the lead up to a world cup game between England and Argintina, One of the English supermarkets "Asda" reported that in Enland they were experiencing a 15% reduction in the sale of Argentinian wines. But they went on to say that they were not overly concerned due to the 46% increase in the sale of Argentinian wines in Scotland.

I guess this proves your theory ... either way a great story.
Now, thats what I am talking about!
Old 26th November 2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billions View Post

or as my Yoruba wife would say "E ku le"not sure about the spelling though

You got d spelling right my brother...100%.

I am happy that u r enjoying ur stay in naija.Only a Nigerian wife is good enough 4 d Great Catweasel.

Very soon,"Prince Dagbolu" will find a Town and make u the Oba(king)
Billions you don come again. You know say Kingdom dey come with more wives and concubines. Allow the man enjoy the one wife wey in get! Abeg, too much of good thing is bad!
Old 26th November 2008, 07:37 PM
Forum Moderator
Points: 41,490, Level: 100 Points: 41,490, Level: 100 Points: 41,490, Level: 100
Activity: 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Groans: 17
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
knightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of lightknightofdelta is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Billions you don come again. You know say Kingdom dey come with more wives and concubines. Allow the man enjoy the one wife wey in get! Abeg, too much of good thing is bad!
Ol boy, that is not good for the endtimes o. More than one Nigerian wife at home is enough to erode all the joys of investment. I add my plea to that of Michael, allow Catweasel enjoy the only one wife wey e get!

"Pursue excellence and success will follow, pants down" - Ranchoddas Shamaldas Chanchad

"People do not have to believe in you for you to succeed. Work hard. When you succeed, they will believe." - Stephen Keshi